FOSTER CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sling Media today announced the availability of its SlingStudio™ multi-camera production and live video broadcasting system in-store and online at B&H Photo Video, as well as MySlingStudio.com. Sling Media L.L.C. is a subsidiary of DISH Network Corp.
Starting at $999, SlingStudio is the industry’s first affordable, wireless, portable multi-camera production solution that lets users of all skill levels record, monitor and edit four HD video inputs from up to 10 connected cameras and smartphones. SlingStudio can output live video to streaming services like Facebook Live and YouTube, and simultaneously record to a USB hard drive, USB SSD or SD card for post-production.
“SlingStudio makes professional-quality multi-camera production and livestreaming a reality for anyone – it’s easier to use and costs thousands of dollars less than existing solutions,” said Vivek Khemka, DISH chief technology officer.
The SlingStudio system requires the $999 SlingStudio hub and free Console app for iPad. Optional accessories are listed below.
CameraLink for $349: CameraLink wireless adapter plugs into the HDMI port available on most DSLR and video cameras. It wirelessly transmits up to 1080p60 video to the SlingStudio hub from up to 300 feet away. Its internal battery provides up to two hours of power.
Battery for $149: The SlingStudio Battery provides up to three hours of power for portability.
USB-C Expander for $49: The USB-C Expander supports wired Gigabit Ethernet connectivity for live broadcasting, and connects to USB 3.0 hard drives or SSDs for recording content. Seagate is SlingStudio’s preferred storage supplier.
How SlingStudio Works
From setup to the shoot to post-production, SlingStudio simplifies all aspects of multi-camera video. Learn more about how SlingStudio works:
Setup: Capture video from different angles by wirelessly connecting up to 10 video sources (DSLR cameras, video cameras, smartphones, personal computers, etc.) to a single SlingStudio using its private, video-grade Wi-Fi network; Internet connectivity is not required. Elimination of cables dramatically reduces setup time, and allows for cameras to be placed anywhere (within 300 feet of the SlingStudio hub) and easily moved.
HDMI-enabled DSLR and video cameras connect via SlingStudio’s CameraLink wireless adapter (sold separately) or to SlingStudio’s HDMI input port. Smartphones using iOS and Android operating systems directly connect to SlingStudio wirelessly using the Capture app available for free download in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store; no CameraLink needed.
Production: The iPad Console app (available for free download in the Apple App Store) is required to manage video production with SlingStudio. It allows directors to monitor and create live-to-tape video from up to four (out of a maximum of 10 connected) input sources simultaneously, and drag and drop video into a composition window. Here directors can create dynamic video compositions like picture-in-picture, split and quad views; edit in popular transitions like cut, dissolve and wipe; add text overlays and lower thirds; and mix audio. All of this can be done in real time as live video is streamed to platforms like Facebook Live or YouTube, and simultaneously recorded to a USB hard drive, USB SSD or SD card for post-production. External audio sources, audio mixers and output monitors can also connect to SlingStudio for advanced production needs.
Post-production: Individual recordings from each camera feed, plus the live-switched video and audio line-in, are saved in a single storage location, eliminating the need to wrangle and import multiple storage drives from each camera. With just a couple clicks of the mouse, the entire project file can then be easily imported into editing applications like Adobe® Premiere® Pro CC and Apple Final Cut Pro® X.
The SlingStudio integration for Adobe Premiere Pro further simplifies and speeds up post-production. Adobe Premiere Pro users who download the SlingStudio extension can import all recordings into a project timeline with all clips and editing decisions preserved and aligned. This includes the video and audio from each source camera, as well as the live-switched program and quad-view feeds.
- Portable and compact: 1.43 lbs, (H) 7.87” x (W) 5.59” x (D) 3.54”, tripod mountable.
- Wireless: 5 Ghz 802.11ac, 4x4 MIMO, specially tuned video-grade Hotspot to connect to different video sources; dual-band 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz 802.11ac client mode to connect to Internet for live streaming.
- 1080p HD multi-camera recorder: Up to seven simultaneous recordings. Includes four video inputs, live-switched program and quad-view of input, plus a separate audio line-in input recording.
- Multi-camera live monitor and switcher: Monitor up to four video sources and switch between 10 different video sources using the Console app for iPad.
- Professional grade video: High-definition resolutions up to 1080p60 at 30Mbps (using H.264 encoding) with the ability to effortlessly synchronize audio and video.
- Live broadcasting: Simultaneous recording and live broadcasting of program output. Max bit rate for live streaming is 8 Mbps (input source bit rates up to 30 Mbps). Supported platforms currently include Facebook Live and YouTube. Support for other content-sharing websites is coming soon.
- Ports: USB-C, HDMI video input, HDMI video output, audio line-in.
- Storage: Storage via SD or USB-C drives. Optional USB-C Expander available to connect USB 3.0 drives.
- Device compatibility: SlingStudio hub compatible with iOS and Android smartphones via the Capture app, and HDMI-enabled DSLR and video cameras connected to a CameraLink or via the direct HDMI input. An Apple iPad is required to operate the Console app. For a complete list of compatible devices, visit www.MySlingStudio.com/compatibility.
About Sling Media
Sling Media empowers video producers and consumers with its video capture, compression and delivery technologies. A wholly owned subsidiary of DISH Network Corp. (NASDAQ:DISH), Sling Media L.L.C. is behind the groundbreaking SlingStudio multi-camera production system that changes how directors, of all skill levels, can think about creating and sharing professional-grade video content. Affordable and portable, SlingStudio makes it simple to wirelessly connect multiple cameras to record, monitor, edit and broadcast HD video in real time. Since 2004, Sling Media has been a leading provider of multiscreen smart TV solutions embraced by both consumers and television service providers. Visit www.MySlingStudio.com and www.Slingbox.com.