WILTON, Conn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--SiriusDecisions, the leading global business-to-business (b-to-b) research and advisory firm, today announced key findings from its 2017 Product Management Tools and Technology Study, which analyzed the state of the product management application market, the variety of solutions product managers are currently using, and key vendors.
The second bi-annual report, which revisits and expands on the findings from its previous SiriusDecisions Field Guide: Product Planning, Prioritization and Roadmapping 2015 report, found that nearly a third (30 percent) of product managers are now using applications specifically designed for product management, compared to just 13 percent in the previous study.
The study’s key findings were:
- Product management applications are new for most product managers and are a growing trend. Seventy percent of product managers who are using product management applications have used them for less than a year and the majority (59 percent) of respondents who are not currently using them are likely to evaluate one within the next six months.
- Most product managers are primarily using tools designed for purposes other than product management. B-to-b product managers still are more likely to use non-product management specific tools for key product management deliverables. Spreadsheet and presentation applications are the most popular choices for documenting and maintaining product roadmaps (26 percent and 23 percent), while agile-oriented project management and word processing applications are most popular for product requirements (40 percent and 20 percent respectively).
- Product managers are happier with applications designed for them. Those product managers using tools purpose-built for product management tools are more likely to be satisfied compared to those who are not. Respondents had 32 percent higher satisfaction in managing their product roadmap and 11 percent higher satisfaction in managing product requirements compared to the next highest application type.
- Product management applications improve product manager performance. Seventy-three percent of those using product management-specific applications feel that the solutions improve their productivity and performance.
The complete report -- currently available to SiriusDecisions clients, with a publicly-available version available in June -- will offer product management leaders valuable insights to evaluate key tools for product planning, prioritizing features and enhancements, and maintaining and sharing product roadmaps.
Actionable insights on the changing product management landscape, product strategy and strategic alignment with marketing and sales will also be detailed at the 12th annual SiriusDecisions Summit, to be held May 16-19 at the Venetian in Las Vegas.
“Product management leaders are trying to improve the processes their teams use to innovate and manage products, and ensure their product managers are taking a data-driven approach,” said Jeff Lash, VP and group director, Go-to-Market of SiriusDecisions. “Having applications designed specifically for product management use can help reinforce a good process and help product managers make fact-based decisions. It is encouraging that there are more tools available for product managers than ever before and that more product managers are using them; as this will help unlock the true potential of product management to positively impact business success.”
- Click here to access the study.
- For more detail on the SiriusDecisions Summit schedule and agenda, please click here.
- To register for Summit, please click here.
- Connect with SiriusDecisions on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or YouTube.
SiriusDecisions is the leading global b-to-b research and advisory firm. We deliver the actionable intelligence, transformative frameworks and expert guidance that equip executives to modernize and elevate sales, marketing and product performance.
For more information, visit www.siriusdecisions.com.