WASHINGTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Territory, the leading prepared meal service focused on delicious and healthy meals pre-made by professional chefs for increasingly health-conscious consumers, today announced a $6.7M Series A. The round was led by NRV with participation from Lewis & Clark Ventures and continued participation from Upfront Ventures, The Motley Fool Holdings and others. The capital will be used to expand delivery to new markets and further build out their product and menu to fill the needs of the rapidly growing customer base.
Territory today also announced its new filtering options that meet specific nutrition criteria for leading dietary programs (e.g. paleo). Territory partners with best-in-class chefs and restaurants to create menus and meals that are nutritionally focused and delicious, so customers can sustain dietary changes while loving what they eat. Each Territory meal is created with high-quality ingredients and hand-crafted by leading local chefs that fit even the most rigorous of nutritional standards.
New filters include:
- Whole30 - A 30-day reset that helps identify which foods may be having a negative impact on cravings, metabolism, digestion, and inflammation.
- MedStar Healthy - Nutritious meals for the whole family, inspired by MedStar Health doctors and dietitians. Each MedStar Healthy meal contains 350 to 600 calories, 30 to 60 grams of carbohydrates, fewer than 750 milligrams of sodium, and a maximum of 7 grams of saturated fat. This filter evolved from the Health for America at MedStar Health program and is based on guidelines from the American Diabetes Association and American Heart Association.
- Mediterranean - Designed in concert with award-winning nutrition expert Ashley Koff RD, these meals are nutrient-balanced, rich in fiber, full of healthy fats and flavored with spices rather than with excess salt or sugars.
- New and expecting mothers - Also in partnership with Ashley Koff RD, these balanced meals include essential micronutrients and complex carbohydrates, while avoiding ingredients often advised against during or after pregnancy.
- Macro-friendly - Based on macronutrient balance (proteins, carbohydrates, fats), allowing customers to orient their menu to lower fat and lower carb options.
“From new group fitness options to meditation and beyond, we’re seeing consumers move towards a holistic approach to health,” said Patrick Smith, founder and CEO, Territory. “With our roots in the fitness community, chef network approach and new filtering options crafted specifically to dietary parameters for how so many people want to eat today, we’re in a unique position to deliver prepared meals that both meet the nutritional needs of increasingly health-conscious consumers and taste really good so people can sustain the changes they’re making.”
Territory serves health focused regions, including: Southern California (Los Angeles to San Diego), the Washington D.C. area, Baltimore, Dallas/Fort Worth, and the San Francisco Bay area, with more to come. The company has already delivered more than 2 million meals. Territory’s great-tasting and great-for-you food has helped them to build a loyal following with customers averaging six meals a week, a dramatic increase over industry norms. This success comes from knowing and understanding their active consumer and initially delivering to exclusively gyms and fitness and yoga studios. By engaging these connected communities where they are already conscious of their fitness choices, Territory has been able to scale smartly and continue serving this rapidly growing consumer market.
“By combining technology and logistics expertise with carefully curated, healthy and delicious meals from top local chefs and restaurants, Territory is reaching a loyal customer base, which in turn, enables attractive margins and high growth potential,” said Ted Chandler, NRV co-founder and managing director.
“Territory’s execution is unlike any others in the food-tech space right now with unit economics that set the company apart from the rest. By initially partnering with local fitness studios/gyms, they have developed a deep understanding of today’s fitness-minded consumer and have created a highly scalable way to engage this rapidly growing population,” said Kara Nortman, partner, Upfront Ventures.
Territory delivers professionally-prepared, nutritious, delicious, and super convenient meals to customers around the country. Territory customers place orders in advance, allowing partnering chefs to increase their efficiency and sales while decreasing waste with a plan that utilizes excess capacities of staff and ingredients. All Territory chefs are certified by Responsible Epicurean and Agricultural Leadership (REAL) - a trusted, nationally recognized mark of excellence. The company delivers to over 300 locations in multiple regions including Los Angeles and south through San Diego, the Washington D.C. area, Baltimore, Dallas/Fort Worth, and the San Francisco Bay Area. For more information visit www.territoryfoods.com.