THE WOODLANDS, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Thought leaders from McKesson Specialty Health and The US Oncology Network (“The Network”) will play an important role in the upcoming 2017 Community Oncology Conference, the most comprehensive gathering in the country for independent oncology practices. The conference provides a wide range of networking and learning opportunities covering clinical, business and advocacy issues for community oncologists, providing the insight and knowledge they need to drive innovation and success in today’s evolving environment. Experts from McKesson Specialty Health and The Network will share their extensive knowledge of community oncology and the changing healthcare landscape by focusing on timely topics such as value-based care transformation, legislative issues impacting cancer care, and community oncology’s role in the Cancer Moonshot. Hosted by the Community Oncology Alliance (COA), the conference will be held April 27-28 in National Harbor, Maryland.
“While these are challenging times for all healthcare providers, as community oncologists we can find strength, unity and shared success through our common belief that patients are best served when they have the option to receive quality care in a community-based practice close to their home and support system,” said Debra Patt, MD, MPH, MBA, co-chair of the event and vice president of Public Policy and Academic Affairs for Texas Oncology, an affiliate of The US Oncology Network. “The Community Oncology Conference, like many similar meetings held by The Network, gives us the opportunity to share our successes and challenges and gather new ideas and solutions that can help all stakeholders in the cancer community thrive and succeed together.”
Conference attendees will learn about the latest treatment advances, the progress community oncology practices are making in implementing new payment reform models, as well as the role their work plays in fueling former Vice President Biden’s highly-touted Cancer Moonshot. As recognized leaders and innovators in community oncology, McKesson Specialty Health and The US Oncology Network will have a strong presence at the conference with stimulating presentations and panel participation from a variety of key thought leaders within the organizations, including:
- Ben Jones, vice president of Government Relations & Public Policy, McKesson Specialty Health and The US Oncology Network. Jones will join the panel discussion, “Washington, DC Update: The Latest Legislative Issues Impacting Cancer Care.”
- Joyce O’Shaughnessy, MD, medical oncologist with Texas Oncology and co-chair of Breast Cancer Research for The US Oncology Network. Dr. O’Shaughnessy will present on “Novel Therapies in Breast Cancer: HER2 Amplified, ER+, TNBC Disease.”
- Debra Patt, MD, MPH, MBA, vice president of Public Policy and Academic Affairs with Texas Oncology, chair of The US Oncology Network Pathways Taskforce for Breast Cancer, editor in chief of ASCO’s JCO Clinical Cancer Informatics, and co-chair of the conference. Dr. Patt will serve as moderator for the panel discussion, “How Community Oncology is Fueling the Cancer Moonshot.”
- R. Steven Paulson, MD, medical oncologist and president of Texas Oncology. Dr. Paulson will participate in the panel discussion focusing on the Cancer Moonshot.
- Lalan Wilfong, MD, medical director of Quality Programs for Texas Oncology and physician champion of Value-Based Care for McKesson Specialty Health. Dr. Wilfong will speak on “Quantifying Physician Performance: Defining the Value Equation.” He is also participating in a panel discussion about practice benchmark reports and use of data.
Additionally, McKesson Specialty Health and The US Oncology Network are hosting an exclusive VIP reception at the conference featuring Ben Jones, McKesson’s expert in government relations and public policy. Jones will offer a quick update on the latest developments from Capitol Hill to help providers understand what they can expect over the next four years.
“The cancer community must remain vigilant and united in its efforts to address policies that impact the sustainability of community oncology,” said Jones. “Cancer is nonpartisan, so regardless of ideological perspective, we must continue to proactively engage on the issues that impact community oncology providers across the country. The strong commitment of McKesson Specialty Health and The US Oncology Network, as well as the strength we gain through our provider relationships and expertise, position us well to demonstrate our value and safeguard against changes that impact the welfare of cancer patients and the future of community oncology.”
For more information about the 2017 Community Oncology Conference or to register for the event, please visit the conference website at http://www.coaconference.org/.
About The US Oncology Network
Every day, The US Oncology Network (“The Network”) helps more than 1,400 independent physicians deliver value-based, integrated care for patients — close to home. Through The Network, these independent doctors come together to form a community of shared expertise and resources dedicated to advancing local cancer care and to delivering better patient outcomes. The Network provides doctors with access to coordinated resources, best business practices, and the experience, infrastructure and support of McKesson Specialty Health. This collaboration allows the doctors in The Network to focus on the health of their patients, while McKesson focuses on the health of their practices. Together, The Network and its affiliated physicians are committed to the success of independent practices, everywhere. For more information, visit www.usoncology.com.
About McKesson Specialty Health
McKesson Specialty Health, a division of McKesson Corporation, works together with stakeholders across the healthcare delivery system to preserve and strengthen specialty care, passionately driven by the benefits it provides patients and the system as a whole. Through innovative provider, practice management, manufacturer and payer solutions, McKesson Specialty Health focuses on improving the financial, operational and business health of our customers and partners so they may provide the best care to patients. At McKesson Specialty Health, we believe that we are all in this together. For more information, visit www.mckessonspecialtyhealth.com.