HANOVER, Md.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Globecomm, a leading global communications solutions provider, has deployed Ciena's (NYSE: CIEN) converged packet-optical and packet networking solutions to meet growing content distribution requirements for a variety of critical applications, including video for breaking news stories, disaster recovery for armed forces and essential connectivity to maritime ships crossing oceans around the world. With this network, Globecomm can cost-effectively increase the capacity, reliability and availability of high-bandwidth services to more than 250 customers throughout its global footprint.
- Globecomm is a leading engineering-driven, global connectivity provider, operating in more than 100 countries. They provide satellite centric video, voice and managed data solutions for media, maritime, wireless, enterprise and government customers.
- When Globecomm is delivering mission-critical and time-sensitive applications to its customers, the network must be highly responsive and a resource they can trust. Ciena’s Ethernet switching, optical transport and network management solutions enable the fast, reliable and high-performance connectivity needed to meet the demands of the harsh and unique conditions that Globecomm’s customers often operate in.
- Globecomm continues to grow its terrestrial networks’ capacity, reach and scale with Ciena’s solutions as the backbone. The provider recently built a high throughput Content Distribution Network (CDN) to support its growing media customer base and expanded into many developing countries throughout Africa and Asia.
- Ciena’s 10GE 5142 Service Aggregation Switch enables Globecomm to transmit high-quality, bandwidth-heavy content, such as videoconferencing, surveillance and video streaming, through the cost-effective operation of layer 2 and layer 3 networks. Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform allows Globecomm to customize service delivery and support applications from 2.5G to 200G and beyond.
- Additionally, with Ciena’s network management capabilities Globecomm can now seamlessly design, schedule and commission services across its network in a matter of minutes versus days, reducing costs and increasing customer satisfaction.
“Our customers come to us with some of the most complex communication
requirements in the industry because they know the solutions we
provide will work, no matter what. Some of our most challenging work,
including the recent expansion of our solutions into remote areas of
Africa and Asia, would not be successful without Ciena. Our
long-standing relationship makes it possible for us to provide
high-quality end-user experiences regardless of device, platform or
- Michele Scotto, Senior Vice President Business Development, Globecomm
“While our customers’ end-users have unique requirements, delivering a
reliable service in a timely manner is critical across all domains.
This is especially important to Globecomm who has to meet very
stringent service level agreements established by their media and
government agency customers. The Ciena and Globecomm teams effectively
collaborated to expand network functionality while increasing service
velocity and reliability.”
- Jason Phipps, Senior Vice President, Global Sales and Marketing, Ciena
- NAB Show 2017: Ciena representatives will be available to discuss how to deliver on-demand, high-capacity networks for media workflows over any distance (booth SU11413).
Globecomm is the leading engineering-driven, global connectivity provider serving media, maritime, enterprise and government markets in over 100 countries. We develop the smartest connectivity solutions to address customer connectivity needs across a broad spectrum of areas, including system design and integration, managed communication services including media, mobile, data, and IoT services and mission critical networks. We are known for our unique ability to provide robust connectivity and systems to the most remote locations under the most treacherous conditions. Globecomm is dedicated to improving communications and leverages its world-class, global network to offer end-to-end, managed service communication’s solutions worldwide. Based in Hauppauge, New York, Globecomm also maintains offices in Maryland, New Jersey, Virginia, the Netherlands, South Africa, Germany, Singapore, the United Arab Emirates and Afghanistan. For more information, please visit www.globecomm.com
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is a network strategy and technology company. We translate best-in-class technology into value through a high-touch, consultative business model – with a relentless drive to create exceptional experiences measured by outcomes. For updates on Ciena, follow us on Twitter @Ciena, LinkedIn, the Ciena Insights blog, or visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, because of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual or quarterly report filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.