DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Research and Markets has announced the addition of the "Smart Augmented Reality Glasses: Market Analysis and Forecasts " report to their offering.
The Emergence of Mixed Reality Holographic Headsets Will Be the Main Driver of Smart Glasses Market Growth Beginning in 2018
The report forecasts that the global market for smart AR glasses will grow from 150,000 unit shipments in 2016 to 22.8 million units annually by 2022.
The market intelligence anticipates that these volumes will drive device revenue growth from $138.6 million in 2016 to $19.7 billion by 2022.
The market for smart augmented reality (AR) glasses is in transition. Assisted reality headsets like Google Glass remain niche products, limited mostly to enterprise and industrial markets. Slow sales cycles are partly to blame, but the market has also seen the emergence of a more compelling AR headset technology known as mixed reality (MR). While assisted reality simply overlays digital information on your vision, MR utilizes positional tracking and depth sensors to provide a more immersive experience, enabling interactions with holographic objects.
Microsoft HoloLens, which launched a developer kit in 2016, is one of the first true MR headsets in the market, and has been gaining momentum in commercial use cases across the enterprise, industrial, defense, and educational markets. According to a new report, the question remains if Microsoft will be able to maintain the momentum, or if it will end up like Google Glass, which failed to emerge beyond the commercial use cases.
The market for smart glasses will have different entry points with devices like HoloLens and Magic Leap at the top, modular devices like ODG's R9 and Occipital Bridge in the middle, and assisted reality glasses at the lower end, says research director Aditya Kaul. The high-end and medium-range smart AR glasses are likely to find usage in enterprise and consumer settings, while the lower-end assisted reality glasses with their glanceable interfaces are ideal for industrial usage.
- Pokémon Go Opened the Door for Outdoor Augmented Reality
- Augmented Reality Content Is the Key to Mass Adoption of Augmented Reality Headsets
- Social, Collaborative Entertainment Will Drive Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality into Living Rooms
- Hands-Free Is a Valuable Resource for Workplace Applications
- First-Person View Will Benefit Workplace Communications
- Smart Glasses Can Improve Industrial Workflows
- Collaborative Augmented Reality Is a Powerful Tool for Education and the Enterprise
- Social Acceptability and Ergonomics Key Issues to Overcome
- Increasing Automation, Artificial Intelligence, and Use of Robotics in Industrial Processes Could Impact Augmented Reality Headset Adoption
- Narrow Field of View Is a Major Drawback for Mixed Reality Headsets
- Manufacturing and Cost Challenges for Waveguide-Based Mixed Reality Headsets
- Kopin Corporation
- Magic Leap
- Meta Glasses
- Osterhaut Design Group (ODG)
- Recon Instruments (Part of Intel)
For more information about this report visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/69b9g9/smart_augmented