EAST BRUNSWICK, N.J. & BANGALORE, India--(BUSINESS WIRE)--A study conducted by Wipro Limited (NYSE: WIT, BSE: 507685, NSE: WIPRO), a leading global information technology, consulting and business process services company has found an 85% jump in Test Automation across industries to keep pace with the evolving technology landscape. The study, titled ‘State of Quality 2016’ was conducted over a period of nine months by Wipro’s Testing Services practice using analytical tools, with the objective of identifying distinct patterns and key trends in software testing. The study also found that nearly 73% of all performance testing comprises of the testing of web applications.
The study is based on insights from Wipro’s Testing and Quality Assurance (QA) engagements, advisory and consulting engagements, and social media feedback. It incorporates insights based on data collected from the Banking, Financial Services and Insurance (BFSI), Retail & Consumer Goods, Healthcare & Life Sciences, Hi-tech & Manufacturing, Media & Telecom and Utilities industries in USA, Canada, Europe and Asia.
The study focuses on the five cornerstones of testing and Quality Assurance (QA) engagements:
- Performance Engineering
- Test Environment and Data Management
- End Customer Experience (Mobile Applications)
- Quality Engineering
Arun Melkote, Global Head -Testing Services, Wipro Limited said, “Wipro is recognized as a leader in Quality Engineering and Assurance. The ‘State of Quality 2016’ report offers a reality check on the quality of software, globally. It is an attempt to identify the gap between ‘thinking’ and ‘doing’ in the industry, and identifying key industry challenges and their solutions.”
Hiral Chandrana, Senior Vice President and Global Head, Business Application Services, Wipro Limited said, “Applications are at the heart of a digital enterprise, and with technologies such as cloud, analytics and mobility driving business needs, software testing has evolved into a quality engineering and assurance discipline, assuring a resilient and seamless IT experience in an organization. Testing Services at Wipro, is leading this transformation, with innovative new-age platforms such as AssureNXT and IntelliAssure. IntelliAssure is an AI Platform for Quality Engineering and Testing that is powered by Wipro HOLMES Artificial Intelligence Platform™. The ‘State of Quality 2016’ is the first in a series of reports that will be published annually.”
Key findings from the ‘State of Quality 2016’ study include the following:
- Automation leads the way: The study found an 85% increase in Test Automation over a two-year period across all industry domains. This growth is fueled by easily accessible Open Source tools in the market today.
- Web applications dominate performance testing: With increasing digitization of businesses, Web Applications dominate amongst the platforms that require performance testing - nearly 73% of all performance testing comprises of the testing of web applications.
- Waning interest in performance engineering: Performance engineering (PE) ensures performance-driven development throughout the Software development life-cycle and not just during the Testing phase (Performance Testing). A significant observation in this sphere is that only 30% of client organizations demonstrate a keen interest in Performance Engineering and have the talent to realize the benefits of Automation Process Management tools. This low absorption is due to expensive set of tools, lack of skilled talent, and late introduction of Performance Testing in the systems development life cycle.
No real life hacks for Test Environment and Test Data Management:
Virtualization, mobile and cloud have impacted Test Environment
Management (TEM) and Test Data Management (TDM) in a major way in the
last decade. Most organisations find it challenging to adapt to these
in addition to constantly evolving business requirements. As a result,
the number of defects in testing engagements have gone up to nearly
13% due to software test environment issues; fixing these takes up 28%
of the testing team’s effort.
Interestingly, 90% of organizations have concerns regarding generating test data, an essential element for successful execution of revised or new applications. Also, 25 to 30% of test scenarios remain untested in the absence of a comprehensive data masking solution.
- End Customer Experience indicates the need for increased investments in quality engineering and testing: An analysis of Social Media feedback on 30 mobile applications across North America and Europe, from the retail and banking domains, highlighted that 59% end users are dissatisfied with their applications for reasons of stability, interoperability, and usability. Banking app users in Europe had concerns regarding the security of the application. These indicate the increasing need for quality engineering and testing.
- Increasing focus on Quality Engineering: Software testing is increasingly moving from defect detection to defect prevention. Consequently, 66% of organizations currently use Software Developers in Test (SDET) in conjunction with traditional testers on all projects, ensuring quality development and prevent defects right from inception. This signifies a shift towards quality engineering - the management, development, operation and maintenance of IT systems and enterprise architectures with high quality standards.
The report titled 'State of Quality 2016' can be downloaded here.
Wipro was positioned as a leader for the third consecutive year in Gartner’s Magic Quadrant for Application Testing Services, Worldwide 2016, and 28 November 2016, authored by Susanne Matson, Patrick J. Sullivan and Gilbert van der Heiden.
About Wipro Limited
Wipro Limited (NYSE: WIT, BSE: 507685, NSE: WIPRO) is a leading information technology, consulting and business process services company that delivers solutions to enable its clients do business better. Wipro delivers winning business outcomes through its deep industry experience and a 360-degree view of “Business through Technology.” By combining digital strategy, customer centric design, advanced analytics and product engineering approach, Wipro helps its clients create successful and adaptive businesses. A company recognized globally for its comprehensive portfolio of services, strong commitment to sustainability and good corporate citizenship, Wipro has a dedicated workforce of over 170,000, serving clients across 6 continents. For more information, please visit www.wipro.com.
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner's research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
Forward-looking and Cautionary Statements
Certain statements in this release concerning our future growth prospects are forward-looking statements, which involve a number of risks, and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in such forward-looking statements. The risks and uncertainties relating to these statements include, but are not limited to, risks and uncertainties regarding fluctuations in our earnings, revenue and profits, our ability to generate and manage growth, intense competition in IT services, our ability to maintain our cost advantage, wage increases in India, our ability to attract and retain highly skilled professionals, time and cost overruns on fixed-price, fixed-time frame contracts, client concentration, restrictions on immigration, our ability to manage our international operations, reduced demand for technology in our key focus areas, disruptions in telecommunication networks, our ability to successfully complete and integrate potential acquisitions, liability for damages on our service contracts, the success of the companies in which we make strategic investments, withdrawal of fiscal governmental incentives, political instability, war, legal restrictions on raising capital or acquiring companies outside India, unauthorized use of our intellectual property, and general economic conditions affecting our business and industry. Additional risks that could affect our future operating results are more fully described in our filings with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission. These filings are available at www.sec.gov. We may, from time to time, make additional written and oral forward-looking statements, including statements contained in the company’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission and our reports to shareholders. We do not undertake to update any forward-looking statement that may be made from time to time by us or on our behalf.