LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--HARMAN International (NYSE:HAR), the premier connected technologies company for automotive, consumer and enterprise markets, today announced a suite of solutions that make the autonomous driving experience intelligent, safe and intuitive. A series of distinct modes reinvent the in-vehicle user experience by reflecting consumer lifestyle and humanizing the autonomous car.
HARMAN’s end-to-end system will be debuted in the newest Rinspeed concept car, Oasis, at CES 2017. Leveraging the HARMAN LIVS suite of technologies (Life-Enhancing Intelligent Vehicle Solution), the Oasis offers a glimpse at the future of autonomous driving and how advanced, holistic vehicle intelligence will transform the driving experience. Recognizing the many user modes enabled through autonomous vehicles – from work and play, to car sharing and social connectivity – HARMAN engineers have partnered across the industry to enable an intelligent, adaptable and personal suite of solutions in the concept car.
“More than a technology supplier, HARMAN is an inspiration partner to the world’s automakers, and the Oasis is a testament to that vision – a vehicle that is contextual, personalized and highly connected,” said Phil Eyler, president, HARMAN Connected Car. “HARMAN believes autonomy should not equal monotony, and this vehicle offers an integrated cockpit and bleeding edge user interface that advances mobility and connectivity while providing an unparalleled user experience. This results in a driving experience that is more powerful, productive, personalized and protected than ever before.”
“When it comes to the future of automotive technology, HARMAN is in a league of its own with a deep competence in software across mobility, cloud, and analytics domains,” said Ricky Hudi, Founder and Managing Director, Future Mobility Technologies. “As a supplier and partner, HARMAN is enabling more personalized, connected and autonomous driving experiences, all of which are captured in the Rinspeed Oasis.”
Using the HARMAN compute platform, Oasis offers portable personalization with the complete Microsoft Office suite and voice-controlled virtual assistant, enabling advanced in-vehicle productivity to join conference calls, update calendars and more. It also features full-windshield HUD technology and high-resolution 3D maps, offering a future look at the user interface and how drivers and passengers can interact with their cars. Oasis is also highly connected, with IoT integration that offers home-to-car transfers of preferences, and a suite of connected services such as car sharing, social media integration, weather, parking and reservations supported by the HARMAN automotive cloud platform. HARMAN’s state-of-the-art camera-based Advanced Driver Assistance Systems monitor, record and assess the surroundings of the vehicle to round out a driving experience with enhanced safety features.
HARMAN’s vision for the autonomous vehicle user experience includes a series of modes and systems that elevate both the autonomous and manual driving experience, including how the vehicle interacts with drivers and passengers during their time in the vehicle – from autonomous driving to re-engaging drivers upon arrival at a destination. The revolutionary vehicle also features a number of industry-firsts, including:
- Full Windshield Heads-Up Display: Oasis utilizes the full windshield to project navigation prompts and other information to the driver, while also simultaneously projecting entertainment or information to the passenger.
- Autonomous Drive Readiness Check – Handover to Manual: One of the most critical concerns of autonomous vehicles is how to ensure the transition between autonomous mode and manual mode is handled seamlessly. HARMAN’s solution combines haptic feedback, eye gaze tracking, and the driver’s cognitive load readiness through pupil monitoring, to ensure that the driver is truly engaged and able to safely take control of the steering wheel.
- Augmented Reality Concierge: This solution addresses the need to support increased productivity in the car while minimizing distraction. A voice-controlled virtual assistant functions as a concierge, automatically suggesting and displaying personalized points of interest while enabling advanced in-vehicle productivity to join conference calls, update calendars and more. Through Skype connectivity, the system can even translate telephone conversations – in real time -- with colleagues speaking different languages.
- Predictive Collision Prevention: V2X (vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure) technologies detect objects on a collision course and offer corrective action.
- Intelligent E-Mirrors: Mirrors that are automatically activated/dimmed based on user gaze.
With more than 5,600 patents in all key domains, including safety, design, navigation, connectivity, networking, HMI and more, HARMAN continues to push the boundaries bringing connected car innovations to market that enable new connected experiences, improve driver safety and increase vehicle security.
HARMAN at CES 2017
Visit the HARMAN showcase during CES 2017 for demonstrations of the company’s full portfolio of connected car and lifestyle audio systems that elevate the connected life. The HARMAN experience showcase is located at the Hard Rock Hotel. Follow HARMAN online during CES 2017:
- Find more CES news at the HARMAN Newsroom
- Like HARMAN on Facebook
- Check out our YouTube Channel
- Follow HARMAN on Twitter @harman
- Follow Twitter Hashtag #HarmanCES
- Subscribe to our RSS feeds
HARMAN (harman.com) designs and engineers connected products and solutions for automakers, consumers, and enterprises worldwide, including connected car systems, audio and visual products, enterprise automation solutions; and connected services. With leading brands including AKG®, Harman Kardon®, Infinity®, JBL®, Lexicon®, Mark Levinson® and Revel®, HARMAN is admired by audiophiles, musicians and the entertainment venues where they perform around the world. More than 25 million automobiles on the road today are equipped with HARMAN audio and connected car systems. The Company’s software services power billions of mobile devices and systems that are connected, integrated and secure across all platforms, from work and home to car and mobile. HARMAN has a workforce of approximately 30,000 people across the Americas, Europe, and Asia and reported sales of $7.0 billion during the 12 months ended September 30, 2016. The Company’s shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol NYSE:HAR.
© 2017 HARMAN International Industries, Incorporated. All rights reserved. Harman Kardon, Infinity, JBL, Lexicon and Mark Levinson are trademarks of HARMAN International Industries, Incorporated, registered in the United States and/or other countries. AKG is a trademark of AKG Acoustics GmbH, registered in the United States and/or other countries. Features, specifications and appearance are subject to change without notice.