BOSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--SessionM, pioneers in mobile marketing cloud technology, today announced the results of a new survey about consumers and their mobile habits. The study reveals that mobile is now the most popular way of researching products, with 53 percent of consumers using mobile web, and 20 percent researching products in-app before purchasing them. Many of those consumers have also made purchases via their smartphone in the last 30 days, with 33 percent reporting one to three purchases, and 30 percent reporting four or more mobile purchases in that time span.
SessionM surveyed more than 5,300 consumers about their mobile usage, brand communications and shopping preferences on smartphones. The respondents were comprised of users of the SessionM Mobile Marketing Cloud and the thousands of popular apps in its network.
Key findings from the new study include:
Mobile is now more popular for researching products than in-store
browsing or window shopping.
- 52.8 percent of consumers reported researching products on their mobile browser before making a purchase, while 48.3 percent used their desktop or laptop computer.
- In-store was next the next most common product research source (27.5 percent), followed by in-app research (19.6 percent).
The majority of consumers are now making purchases on their
- A third (33.2 percent) of consumers have made 1-3 purchases on their mobile phones in the last 30 days.
- An additional 29.6 percent of consumers have made at least four mobile purchases in that time span.
Nearly half of consumers actively want to receive push
notifications from their favorite brands. One in three have made a
purchase as a result of receiving one.
- 34.1 percent of consumers would like to see push notifications from their favorite brands, but only once per month or less, while 13.8 percent would like them once per week or more.
- 30 percent reported having made a purchase sometime in the past three months as the result of a push notification.
Two thirds of consumers have branded apps on their smartphone. One
in ten have 10+ branded apps.
- 31.5 percent of consumers have one to three brand apps, while the remaining 38.5 percent have four or more brands’ apps.
- One in ten people (10.3 percent) have ten or more brands’ apps.
Personalization goes a long way when it comes to consumers’
- One in six consumers (17.4 percent) are open to seeing ads when the advertised product is relevant to them.
- One in eight (12.2 percent) are open to ads when they come from a company the consumer likes or trusts.
“The way consumers interact and engage with brands on mobile is constantly evolving,” said Lars Albright, co-founder and CEO of SessionM. “Now that mobile is the #1 way consumers are researching products and a more common channel for making purchases, brands need to be thinking about how they can stay ahead of the game. Being on mobile isn’t enough – companies need to be strategic with tactics like personalization and technologies like push notifications in order to be successful.”
SessionM CEO Lars Albright will be discussing the study results and the current state of mobile engagement at Shoptalk, the nextgen commerce event running from May 15-18, 2016 in Las Vegas. He will also be speaking on a panel titled “Driving Repeat Purchases—Loyalty, Replenishment and More” at the event on Monday, May 16 at noon.
SessionM is the next-generation engagement and loyalty platform. The company’s cloud-based solutions integrate loyalty marketing technology with marketing automation and data management capabilities to drive personalized consumer relationships through the mobile device. The company is headquartered in Boston with offices around the globe. For more information on SessionM, visit www.sessionm.com.