SAN JOSE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--eBay announced today, in conjunction with the start of National Small Business Week, the launch of its first annual seller recognition program, the Shine Awards for Small Business. Spanning multiple categories, the award program will celebrate the contributions of small businesses on eBay to the economy and recognize the entrepreneurs who have used eBay to help build successful businesses.
“eBay sellers across the country are a source of inspiration, and they remind us that there are no entrepreneurs out there that are more hardworking and innovative than the small business owner,” said Hal Lawton, Senior Vice President and Head of eBay North America. “This award is an opportunity to recognize the best and brightest in the eBay selling community who are building businesses and serving as an inspiration for other small businesses around the country.”
About the 2016 Shine Awards for Small Business
The eBay Shine Awards for Small Business are open to full and part-time eBay sellers aged 18 years and older. The winner selected as the 2016 Grand Prize Winner will win $10,000 and the category winners will each win $5,000.
- Entrants must meet eligibility criteria and answer essay questions in order to enter the competition.
- Entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. ET Sunday, May 20, 2016.
- Winners will be announced in July in Las Vegas.
- For more information and to enter, visit ebay.com/shineawards
Beginning June 20, the eBay community will have a chance to vote from 15 selected finalists for category winners in each of five categories:
- Woman-Owned Business: A female owner of a small business on eBay.
- Growing Business: A growing business that has been selling on the eBay platform for at least twelve months continuously.
- Global Business: A small business that has sold items on eBay outside of the United States.
- Charitable Business: A business that has been signed up as an eBay for Charity seller.
- Family Business: A business on eBay that employs one or more members of the seller’s family in a paid or volunteer capacity.
All five category winners, as well the 2016 Grand Prize Winner will be announced at eBay’s Seller Celebration event in Las Vegas in late July. All winners will be evaluated against the following criteria: originality, clarity of expression, passion for using eBay, embodiment of eBay’s core seller values and the degree to which eBay has contributed to the business’s success. The Grand Prize Winner will be selected by a panel of expert judges including eBay representatives, a past winner from eBay’s Canadian Entrepreneur of the Year program, and a representative from the Small Business Administration.
eBay Inc. (NASDAQ: EBAY) is a global commerce leader including the Marketplace, StubHub and Classifieds platforms. Collectively, we connect millions of buyers and sellers around the world, empowering people and creating opportunity through Connected Commerce. Founded in 1995 in San Jose, Calif., eBay is one of the world's largest and most vibrant marketplaces for discovering great value and unique selection. In 2015, eBay enabled $82 billion of gross merchandise volume. For more information about the company and its global portfolio of online brands, visit www.ebayinc.com.