SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) was named as one of the best employers for veterans by Military Times, the trusted source for independent news and information for service members and their families. This is the first time the company has made the “Best for Vets: Employers” list in the ranking’s seven-year history.
The survey, conducted by the publishers of the Army Times, Navy Times, Air Force Times and Marine Corps Times, consisted of more than 90 questions which focused on areas such as: recruiting veterans and service members, company culture, policies and reservist accommodations.
“We know firsthand that veterans who’ve served our country demonstrate key characteristics like accountability, leadership and a keen focus on safety. As we continue to build a talented and diverse workforce, we want to make sure veterans play a key role in helping PG&E serve its customers. We look forward to building on our success of providing veterans with access to great career opportunities and helping them transition back to civilian life,” said PG&E Vice President of Talent Management and Inclusion and Chief Diversity Officer Laura Butler.
PG&E’s support of veterans dates back to World War I. The company has a strong commitment to veterans, as evidenced by its “1,000 Careers Project,” a long-term program with the goal of hiring 1,000 veterans into PG&E careers over the next eight years. In addition:
- POWERPATHWAY™: This energy industry training program has received praise from Vice President Joe Biden, who visited a group of veterans training for gas operations positions in 2015. The program debuted in 2008 as a way to develop the next generation of the utility industry workforce. Over the last eight years, nearly 800 have graduated—including 400 veterans. PowerPathway is completing a new program with transitioning military personnel, graduated its first active service member last year and held its first direct-to-hire class for customer service representatives.
- EMPLOYER SUPPORT OF THE GUARD AND RESERVE: PG&E has received numerous honors from the ESGR, a Department of Defense office that develops and maintains employer support for National Guard and Reserve service. In 2015, the company received the Above and Beyond Award, acknowledging employers who’ve gone beyond the legal requirements of the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Act.
- TOP-100 MILITARY FRIENDLY EMPLOYER: PG&E has been recognized for four straight years as a Top-100 Military Friendly Employer by G.I. Jobs Magazine. In addition, the company was named in 2015 for the first time as a Military Spouse Friendly Employer by Military Spouse Magazine.
- FARADAY AWARD: PG&E received this award during the 18th annual Electric Power Conference for their work in successfully connecting, employing and engaging veterans to become long-term employees in the power industry.
- WORKING WITH VETERAN BUSINESSES: Disabled Veteran Business Enterprises (DVBE) are major business partners with PG&E. The company spent all-time high of $155 million with DVBEs in 2015. The DVBE spend was part of a record $2.5 billion spend with diverse suppliers last year.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE:PCG), is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric utilities in the United States. Based in San Francisco, with more than 20,000 employees, the company delivers some of the nation’s cleanest energy to nearly 16 million people in Northern and Central California. For more information, visit www.pge.com/ and www.pge.com/en/about/newsroom/index.page.