SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Whitepages, the leading source for contact information and phone protection services in the US, has announced the release of its famed Caller ID technology for Windows 10 Mobile operating systems. Whitepages ID, available in the Microsoft App Store, helps users manage their phone communications by identifying unknown incoming calls and texts, and allows users to block annoying spam calls and texts.
Drawing on Whitepages’ industry-leading database of contact information, the app safeguards users from the endless barrage of scam calls and the daily deluge of texts to their mobile phones. The app also allows users to easily report malicious or unwanted calls and texts to help build a communal list of bad numbers for all Whitepages ID users.
Approximately four billion calls are made in the U.S. every day, making caller identification more important than ever. On average, 30 percent of calls to mobile phones come from phone numbers not in the recipient’s address book. Whitepages ID fills in the gaps by identifying those unknown numbers. Taking advantage of Whitepages’ definitive database of more than 600 million phone numbers, including 250 million mobile phones, Whitepages Caller ID helps people make informed decisions about answering incoming calls.
“We live in an age where people can feel uncertain and downright worried about answering an unknown call,” said Stanley Kim, General Manager, Communications Experience at Whitepages. “With the release of the Whitepages ID app for Microsoft Windows 10 Mobile users, we are proud to bring our best-in-class caller identification technology to a new group of users to help them regain their peace of mind and confidence when answering a call from an unknown number.”
With spam and scam calls rising by 35 percent in 2015, according to Whitepages’ State of the Call Report, and spammers and scammers getting increasingly sophisticated, the decision to answer a call has never been more difficult. Enhanced scam strategies, disingenuous spoofing tactics, and VoIP calling that has driven the cost of making calls down to fractions of a cent, are all factors contributing to this alarming state of the call. To combat these issues, Whitepages ID provides Microsoft Windows 10 Mobile users with much needed context for unsolicited spam calls. Thanks to its state of the art phone reputation service and user-submitted reports, Whitepages ID provides users peace of mind and confidence when answering or ignoring a call or text. The company’s robust spam protection has helped identify more than 10 million phone numbers making unwanted calls. Of those numbers reported as spam, 47 percent were identified as telemarketers, an alarming 29 percent flagged as scams or fraudulent calls, and 17 percent as debt collectors.
“Spam and scam calls are an annoyance, on any phone platform – so we’re pleased that Windows 10 mobile users can now leverage Whitepages’ Caller ID technology to better identify, block, and report unwanted calls,” said Dave Miller, Senior Director, Windows Marketing at Microsoft Corp.
Key Features of the Whitepages ID app include:
- Caller ID: Only take calls from people you want to talk to. Take calls from friends not in your phone book. Never miss an important call from someone trying to get in touch.
- Call Blocker: Black list spam, scams, and annoying telemarketer or political calls and send them straight to voice mail.
- Scam & Spam Protection: Alerts automatically appear to warn you if an incoming call is suspected spam. Easily report spam callers, scams, and SMS spam to stop them from contacting other users in the Whitepages community.
- Phone Book Contact Photos: See the latest profile photo, job title and city information for friends, family, co-workers and business associates from Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
- True Contacts: Add names and addresses from the Whitepages directory to your phone book contacts to keep them true, complete and up to date.
- Save Money: Reduce the amount of minutes that unknown calls and unknown text messages use up.
Whitepages is the leading source for caller identification and phone spam detection in North America. With a database of more than 600 million mobile and landline phone numbers in the US, and over 1.5 billion unique numbers in its global database, Whitepages leverages its extensive data insights to identify unknown calls and texts and to monitor phone-based threats for consumers and businesses. Whitepages scans more than 300 MM incoming calls per month, and has detected more than one billion robo, telemarketing and scam calls and texts to date.