BEIJING--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Alibaba Group Holding Limited (NYSE:BABA) announced that USD 5 billion (approximately RMB 31.8 billion) of GMV was settled through Alipay on Alibaba’s China and international retail marketplaces in the first 90 minutes of the 2015 11.11 Global Shopping Festival.1
Daniel Zhang, chief executive officer of Alibaba Group said in his opening remarks for the 11.11 Global Shopping Festival Countdown Gala, “This year, Alibaba Group has transformed 11.11 into an unprecedented mobile shopping experience. Over the course of the 24-hour shopping marathon, consumers will have a new surprise every hour that has been especially tailored for mobile users. The whole world will witness the power of Chinese consumption this November 11.”
In the hours leading up to the official midnight start of the Alibaba Group 2015 11.11 Global Shopping Festival, almost 130 million users visited the Mobile Taobao app, exceeding the peak volume during the 2014 11.11 Shopping Festival.
The annual shopping event kicked off today at 12:00 a.m. midnight in China. Early highlights include:
- Total GMV settled through Alipay exceeded USD 5 billion (RMB 31.8 billion) in the first 90 minutes, and mobile GMV settled through Alipay accounted for 72% of total GMV;
- Total GMV settled through Alipay was USD 3.9 billion (approximately RMB 24.8 billion) in the first hour;
- Mobile GMV settled through Alipay was USD 2.9 billion (approximately RMB 18.3 billion) in the first hour, which accounted for 73.9% of total GMV, compared to 45.7% of total GMV within the first hour of last year’s 11.11 Shopping Festival; and
- Total number of mobile buyers was more than 27 million in the first hour.
Additional highlights from the Alibaba Group 2015 11.11 Global Shopping Festival include:
- Total GMV settled through Alipay exceeded USD 1 billion (approximately RMB 6.36 billion) within the first eight minutes;
- Total GMV settled through Alipay exceeded USD 2 billion (approximately RMB 12.7 billion) in 17 minutes and 29 seconds; and
- Total GMV settled through Alipay exceeded the total GMV of Alibaba’s 2012 11.11 Shopping Festival of USD 3.1 billion within 31 minutes.
“At each 11.11, Alibaba’s infrastructure is put to the test and our technological capabilities are taken to the next level,” said Zhang. “Last year, we handled a record-breaking 80,000 orders at peak per second at peak. This year, we expect to handle 120,000 orders and 60,000 payments at peak per second. It will be a proud achievement for us."
This year’s 11.11 Global Shopping Festival features more than six million products from more than 30,000 brands sold by over 40,000 merchants.
For additional content from the event, please follow the Alibaba Group official Twitter account at www.twitter.com/AlibabaGroup, visit corporate news blog Alizila, or go to www.alibabagroup.com/en/ir/home.
For background on Alibaba’s business model, strategy, and products and services, please visit Alibaba Defined.
About Alibaba Group
Alibaba Group’s mission is to make it easy to do business anywhere. The company is the largest online and mobile commerce company in the world in terms of gross merchandise volume. Founded in 1999, the company provides the fundamental technology infrastructure and marketing reach to help businesses leverage the power of the Internet to establish an online presence and conduct commerce with hundreds of millions of consumers and other businesses.
Alibaba Group's major businesses include:
- Taobao Marketplace (www.taobao.com), China's largest online shopping destination
- Tmall.com (www.tmall.com), China's largest third-party platform for brands and retailers
- Juhuasuan (www.juhuasuan.com), China's most popular online group buying marketplace
- Alitrip (www.alitrip.com), a leading online travel booking platform
- AliExpress (www.aliexpress.com), a global online marketplace for consumers to buy directly from China
- Alibaba.com (www.alibaba.com), China's largest global online wholesale platform for small businesses
- 1688.com (www.1688.com), a leading online wholesale marketplace in China
- AliCloud (www.alicloud.com), a provider of cloud computing services to businesses and entrepreneurs
1 Gross merchandise volume (“GMV”) is the total amount settled through Alipay on Alibaba’s China and international retail marketplaces. All 2015 11.11 GMV and other figures are subject to final auditing following conclusion of the event.