PHILADELPHIA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Thermo Fisher Scientific, the world leader in serving science, today unveiled new innovations for research aimed at addressing the growing need for early detection, better prognosis, and more effective cancer treatments in the future. These new products and presentations are being featured at the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) 2015 Annual Meeting, booth #1501 at the Pennsylvania Convention Center in Philadelphia, Pa.
“Genetic sciences continue to propel cancer research forward, enabling breakthroughs in the lab that translate into future clinical applications,” said Chris Linthwaite, president, Genetic Sciences for Thermo Fisher Scientific. “As research in targeted sequencing and the use of liquid biopsies is becoming more prevalent, and the need for real-time, cloud-based collaboration grows, the scale and depth of Thermo Fisher’s growing cancer research portfolio uniquely suits us to support our customers in the collective pursuit of life without cancer.”
Featured New Products:
• Designed for translational and clinical research laboratories, the Oncomine Focus Assay is a multi-biomarker next-generation sequencing (NGS) panel that includes 52 solid tumor genes that are associated with current oncology drugs and published evidence. The assay allows concurrent analysis of DNA and RNA, enabling sequencing of 35 hotspot genes, 19 genes associated with copy number gain and 23 fusion genes, all in a single workflow using the Ion PGM System.
• In cooperation with the Amazon Web Services (AWS), the new Applied Biosystems QuantStudio 3 and QuantStudio 5 Real-Time PCR systems are the first qPCR instruments to enable connecting researchers through the secure Thermo Fisher Cloud computing platform, marking a new era in data sharing and global research collaboration. The QuantStudio 3 and 5 systems are designed to allow researchers to learn, analyze, share, collaborate, and obtain support within a single platform.
• The new TaqMan gene expression assays use real-time PCR to detect fusion transcripts. As a complementary solution to NGS panels, the TaqMan assays are designed to serve as an orthogonal validation method, providing a cost-effective and simpler alternative to fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH).
• Designed for research labs and small biotech firms looking to simplify DNA, RNA and protein purification processes, the Thermo Scientific KingFisher Duo Prime nucleic acid and protein purification system builds upon the utility of the existing KingFisher Duo system, which helps to improve reproducibility and deliver high quality samples in less time when compared to manual processes and spin-column methods. The KingFisher Duo Prime system offers new features to enhance functionality, including a UV lamp designed for easy decontamination and a barcode reader for seamless traceability.
• The automated Cynvenio LiquidBiopsy Instrument is designed to extract and isolate circulating tumor cells (CTCs) efficiently from a standard blood draw in preparation for both high content imaging and genomic analysis. The addition of Cynvenio’s rare cell enrichment technology complements the Ion PGM workflow to provide a comprehensive sample-to-genomic data research solution for analysis of CTCs, cell-free DNA (cfDNA) and normal DNA in less than 48 hours.
Featured posters presented by Thermo Fisher scientists at AACR 2015:
Sunday, April 19, 2015
- Formation of uniform and reproducible 3D cancer spheroids in a high throughput plate format, poster #304. Presented by Cindy Neeley PhD, field applications scientist, Labware & Specialty Plastics, Thermo Fisher Scientific from 1-5 p.m.
Monday, April 20, 2015
- Quantitative analysis of AKT/mTOR pathway using immunoprecipitation and targeted mass spectrometry, poster #1837. Presented by Bhavinkumar Patel, senior scientist, Genetic Sciences Division, Thermo Fisher Scientific from 8 a.m.-Noon.
- A research approach for the detection of somatic mutations at 0.5% frequency from cell-free DNA (cfDNA) and circulating tumor cell (CTC) DNA using a multiplex sequencing assay targeting 2000 tumor mutations, poster #2402. Presented by Dumitru Brinza, senior staff scientist, Genetic Sciences Division, Thermo Fisher Scientific from 1-5 p.m.
Wednesday, April 22, 2015
- TaqMan rare mutation assays for QuantStudio 3D Digital PCR System, poster #5251. Presented by Marion Laig, senior product applications scientist, Genetic Sciences Division, Thermo Fisher Scientific from, 8 a.m.-Noon.
- Sanger sequencing of low amount of genomic DNA and formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded (FFPE) DNA with PCR primers derived from the Ion AmpliSeq Cancer Hotspot Panel, poster #4933. Presented by Edgar Schreiber, product manager, Genetic Sciences Division, Thermo Fisher Scientific from 8 a.m.-Noon.
- A highly multiplexed control material to satisfy the complex needs of targeted next generation sequencing (NGS) oncology assays, poster #4900. Presented by Nakul Nataraj, PhD, staff scientist, Thermo Fisher Scientific from 8 a.m.-Noon.
The Oncomine Focus Assay, QuantStudio 3 and 5 systems, TaqMan gene expression Assays for fusion transcript detection, KingFisher Duo Prime and Cynvenio LiquidBiospy Instrument are for Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.
For more information on Thermo Fisher’s poster presentations and the new products being featured at AACR 2015, please visit here.
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 billion and approximately 50,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com