BARCELONA, Spain--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sonus Networks, Inc. (Nasdaq:SONS), a global leader in enabling and securing real-time communications, and Compass Networks, a next-generation routing company and icPhotonics™ pioneer, today announced the companies are demonstrating how operators worldwide can improve productivity of new Cloud-based services through the Sonus Network-as-a-Service (NaaS) IQ Platform and the Compass Networks software-defined networking (SDN) Forwarding Platform at Mobile World Congress.
The Sonus and Compass Networks demonstration focuses on three key areas to accelerate the development of the architecture that improves network utilization and ease of operation:
1. Sonus NaaS IQ Platform – This solution enables operators to use general purpose OpenFlow-enabled platforms in configurations that will reduce Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) and increase the ability to scale networks to satisfy increased demand with rapidly changing devices and applications.
2. Compass Networks SDN Forwarding Platform (SDNFP800) – A new network element based on icPhotonics™ technology for optical interconnect within a forwarding platform. The platform architecture is designed to allow it to work in a hybrid mode, supporting both on-system protocols stack and also be SDN controlled for specific flows streaming into a service platform or any other packet handling out of the original path. This capability enables rapid deployment of new SDN controlled services and the flexibility and scale to support existing ones.
3. Traffic Optimization through Network Topology Discovery and Analytics – Sonus NaaS IQ utilizes network topology combined with real-time traffic data and manages the Compass Networks SDN Forwarding Platform to react seamlessly and immediately to network bottlenecks and service degradation due to link failures or traffic congestion.
Visit Sonus at Mobile World Congress Hall 6 6G11 to View the Demo
- Throughout the week of Mobile World Congress, Sonus and Compass Networks will demonstrate the visualization of HD video streams over a congested network. The Sonus SDN intelligence solution will direct the Compass Networks SDN Forwarding Platform to migrate the excess traffic into a secondary path and regain the high video quality at time of congestion.
- The demonstration will also display how a SDN Intelligence solution, when coupled with a SDN Forwarding Platform, deliver the integration and creation of services that are both fast and easy to manage.
“This demonstration is an ideal opportunity to present the unlimited potential of SDN networks,” said Ray Dolan, president and CEO, Sonus. “The ability to heighten real-time applications over a traditional WAN interface allows service providers and enterprises to move Unified Communications and communications applications to the Cloud, while optimizing bandwidth requirement, which allows the industry to expand while decreasing costs. We are looking forward to demonstrating this innovative technology at Mobile World Congress with Compass Networks.”
“SDN and Cloud services virtualization technologies are foundational to driving the industry into the era of new services introduction at ‘the speed of life,’” said Matt Bross, chairman and CEO, Compass Networks. “NFV appeals to all types of service providers (mobile, landline, Cloud) by enabling them to provide new services quicker and easier, while offering the best ROI in an all-IP network. Additionally, data centers already in advanced stages of deploying SDN-based services will benefit from the collaboration of Sonus and Compass Networks in the aggregation and WAN connectivity layers. Sonus is a true innovator in how it approaches the network of the future and we look forward to working and collaborating with them on this technology.”
Sonus, SONS, Compass Networks, Mobile World Congress, Sonus Network as a Service, NaaS, Sonus NaaS IQ Platform , Software Defined Networking, SDN, Network Functions Virtualization, NFV, Compass Networks SDN Forwarding Platform, SDNFP800, icPhotonics™
Sonus brings intelligence and security to real-time communications. By helping the world embrace the next generation of Cloud-based SIP and 4G/LTE solutions, Sonus enables and secures latency-sensitive, mission critical traffic for VoIP, video, instant messaging and online collaboration. With Sonus, enterprises can give priority to real-time communications based on smart business rules while service providers can offer reliable, comprehensive and secure on-demand network services to their customers. With solutions deployed in more than 100 countries and nearly two decades of experience, Sonus offers a complete portfolio of hardware-based and virtualized Session Border Controllers (SBCs), Diameter Signaling Controllers (DSCs), Network as a Service capabilities, policy/routing servers and media and signaling gateways. For more information, visit www.sonus.net or call 1-855-GO-SONUS.
About Compass Networks:
Compass Networks is a next generation networking company. Its photonic backplane technology, icPhotonics™ powers ultra-bandwidth dense networking devices that bring networking into the age of modularity and virtualization. The Compass Networks icPhotonics™ technology is the world’s first commercial silicon for inter-chip optical interconnect. Its SDN Forwarding Planes are a new breed of scale-out networking devices, enabling SDN-based, simplified architectures in service provider networks. Since 2006 Compass Networks has attracted top-tier investors ranging from leading venture capital funds to service providers and networking suppliers. Note: Compass Networks, r10004 and icPhotonics are trademarks of Compass Networks.
Important Information Regarding Forward-Looking Statements:
The information in this release may contain certain forward-looking statements within the meaning of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 regarding future events that involve risks and uncertainties. Although Sonus believes that its expectations are based on reasonable assumptions, readers are cautioned that these forward-looking statements are only predictions and are subject to inherent uncertainties, risks and changes in circumstances that are difficult to predict. All statements other than statements of historical facts contained in this report are forward-looking statements. Our actual results may differ materially from those contemplated by the forward-looking statements. For further information regarding risks and uncertainties associated with Sonus' business, please refer to the "Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations" and "Risk Factors" sections of Sonus' filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Any forward-looking statements represent Sonus' views only as of the date on which such statement is made, and should not be relied upon as representing Sonus' views as of any subsequent date. While Sonus may elect to update forward-looking statements at some point, Sonus specifically disclaims any obligation to do so, except as required by law.