MEMPHIS, Tenn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers and Pittsburgh Steelers running back Le’Veon Bell were named FEDEX AIR & GROUND NFL PLAYERS OF THE YEAR, FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) and the National Football League announced tonight during the “4th Annual NFL Honors” awards show – a two-hour primetime special that aired nationally on January 31 on NBC the night before Super Bowl XLIX.
FedEx Air & Ground NFL Players of the Year awards are a culmination of weekly awards presented by FedEx throughout the NFL season that give football fans the ability to honor stand-out quarterback and running back performances each week while earning charitable donations for the winning players’ cities.
- Green Bay Packers QB Aaron Rodgers finished the season with a 112.2 passer rating and is the only player in NFL history to register a 100+ rating in six consecutive seasons. Rodgers finished the season with 38 touchdown passes and just five interceptions. He ended the season with zero interceptions at home, where the Packers averaged 39.8 points per game. Rodgers was nominated for FedEx Air Player of the Week five times, winning twice.
- Pittsburgh Steelers RB Le’Veon Bell finished the season as the AFC’s leading rusher and second in the NFL with 1,361 yards on the ground. Bell also had 854 receiving yards, joining Pro Football Hall of Famer Marshall Faulk (1999) as the only players in NFL history with 1,350+ rushing yards and 850+ receiving yards in the same season. Bell was nominated for FedEx Ground Player of the Week five times, winning three times.
Rodgers and Bell were selected from a panel of three finalists in their respective Air and Ground categories. The other FedEx Air NFL Players of the Year finalists were quarterbacks Andrew Luck of the Indianapolis Colts and Ben Roethlisberger of the Pittsburgh Steelers, while the FedEx Ground NFL Players of the Year finalists included running backs Marshawn Lynch of the Seattle Seahawks and DeMarco Murray of the Dallas Cowboys.
This season, fans voted for more than their favorite player. In honor of the winners’ outstanding play, FedEx is donating $50,000 to American Red Cross chapters in Green Bay and Pittsburgh – $25,000 in each player’s name for their local market. The funding is used to support disaster relief and a variety of urgent humanitarian needs provided for by the American Red Cross.
As part of the FedEx Air & Ground NFL Players of the Week program, FedEx supported its commitment to serving the community by making weekly $2,000 donations to local American Red Cross chapters in each of the winning player’s names. This amounted to a total contribution of $118,000 this season. In supporting both the American Red Cross and the FedEx Air & Ground NFL Players of the Week and Year awards, FedEx strives to recognize great game plans both on and off the field, whether it’s a winning strategy for victory on Sunday or disaster preparedness, relief and recovery in the local community.
As the Official Delivery Service Sponsor of the NFL, Super Bowl and Pro Bowl, FedEx is proud to sponsor the 12th annual FedEx Air & Ground NFL Players of the Year Awards. The awards highlight the league’s leaders at the quarterback and running back positions, recognizing the players that consistently deliver the best results throughout the season.
PREVIOUS FEDEX AIR & GROUND NFL PLAYERS OF THE YEAR AWARD WINNERS
- (2013) Denver Broncos QB PEYTON MANNING and Philadelphia Eagles RB LESEAN McCOY
- (2012) Denver Broncos QB PEYTON MANNING and Minnesota Vikings RB ADRIAN PETERSON
- (2011) New Orleans Saints QB DREW BREES and Philadelphia Eagles RB LESEAN MCCOY
- (2010) Green Bay Packers QB AARON RODGERS and Kansas City Chiefs RB JAMAAL CHARLES
- (2009) New Orleans Saints QB DREW BREES and Tennessee Titans RB CHRIS JOHNSON
- (2008) New Orleans Saints QB DREW BREES and Minnesota Vikings RB ADRIAN PETERSON
- (2007) Green Bay Packers QB BRETT FAVRE and Jacksonville Jaguars RB FRED TAYLOR
- (2006) New Orleans Saints QB DREW BREES and San Diego Chargers RB LADAINIAN TOMLINSON
- (2005) Cincinnati Bengals QB CARSON PALMER and Seattle Seahawks RB SHAUN ALEXANDER
- (2004) Indianapolis Colts QB PEYTON MANNING and New York Jets RB CURTIS MARTIN
- (2003) Indianapolis Colts QB PEYTON MANNING and Green Bay Packers RB AHMAN GREEN
About FedEx Corp.
FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenues of $47 billion, the company offers integrated business applications through operating companies competing collectively and managed collaboratively, under the respected FedEx brand. Consistently ranked among the world's most admired and trusted employers, FedEx inspires its more than 300,000 team members to remain "absolutely, positively" focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. For more information, visit news.fedex.com.