ONEONTA, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Ioxus, a manufacturer of premium performance ultracapacitor technology for use in transportation, industrial and energy applications, today announced the official launch of the iMOD X-Series™, a family of 22 modules that makes the design and installation at the system level extremely easy for the end-customer. The architecture of the iMOD X-Series will be the framework for future Ioxus energy storage technologies across its ultracapacitor systems.
The X-Series was initially introduced in April 2014 during a soft launch of the product’s Alpha design. The production launch of the iMOD X-Series simplifies system design and installation for the end-user by offering customers nearly an infinite array of possible mounting configurations. This level of flexibility is made possible by the design of the iMOD X-Series’ core technology. Built modularly to maximize quality and value, the core includes integrated wire management systems to ensure proper wire location, integrated heat sinks, and unmatched 5,000 VAC hi-pot.
The iMOD X-Series line includes advanced monitoring and communications choices, making CAN communications available on all X-Series products to help the end-user accurately monitor vital statics. Advanced features of the iMOD X-Series include:
- Configurability: Configurable T-Slot mounting for flexible voltage configuration to meet virtually all customer requirements, creating orientation-agnostic mounting with infinite flexibility and no customer hardware requirements.
- 5000 VAC Hi-pot: Up to 2,000 VDC applicability depending on specific industry standards.
- Modularity: Flexibility to serve and optimize applications that are currently underserved, such as the UPS, power quality and light rail markets, at competitive price points.
- Upgradability: All monitoring, balancing and CAN communications are mounted outside the module, making for easy maintenance and upgrades. Retrofitting is possible, allowing the customer to decide to add CAN communications at a later date, or even switch from analog monitoring to digital monitoring, in the field.
- Integrated Heat Sink: Dramatic improvements in heating and cooling dissipation, which improves life and reliability.
- Durability: Highest shock and vibration rating in the industry: ISO 16750-3 Table 12 & 14.
- Environmental protection: IP-67 rated for all modules in the family as a standard feature.
- “Off-the-shelf development”: Customers can now right-size the product to their application without having to pay for a new design or wait for the design cycle. There are 22 different modules available, using three popular cell ratings that provide ultimate flexibility.
- Reliability: Using the Ioxus Titan™ Cell, with unsurpassed electro-chemical stability, extreme thermal management, best balancing, and optional communications, the iMOD X-Series is built for long term reliability.
- Future Proof: The iMOD X-Series can be upgraded with the latest chemistries as they are developed and released by Ioxus, allowing for higher voltage and increased energy to be used in the existing X-Series modules.
- Easy Installation: Front facing terminals for minimized cable or bus bar length and movement, which reduce or eliminate upkeep and design time. Removing cables that cross front-to-back in the design allows for easy and safe maintenance of the system.
“The iMOD X-Series product line is an enormous technological advancement and truly captures the essence of Ioxus’ design and development,” said Chad Hall, co-founder and VP of product management at Ioxus. “We deployed the X-Series to a number of key customers for trial and evaluation, and we continued to develop the product family based on the feedback and results. By creating our modules in a way that meets the needs for flexibility and configurability of both current and future customers, we’ve delivered ultracapacitor modules with superior performance and rapid, measurable ROI. When you factor in our unmatched durability, Ioxus has once again outperformed its competitors across the board.”
Ioxus manufactures high performance ultracapacitor technology for transportation, alternative energy, medical, industrial and consumer product markets. The company offers the broadest range of cell styles in the industry, from 100 Farads to 3,000 Farads, with both iCAP® cylindrical and THiNCAP® pouch cell form factors. With our proprietary mixes and coating processes, Ioxus makes a superior electrode for ultracapacitors with higher power and energy density compared to other ultracapacitors. Ioxus designs and manufactures smaller, lighter weight iMOD® modules and the new iMOD X-Series™ family of module systems. Ioxus is headquartered in Oneonta, N.Y., with sales, service and quick-delivery inventory in Shanghai, China. For more information, visit www.ioxus.com and follow Ioxus on Twitter @Ioxus.