ORLANDO, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--To explore how companies are leveraging mobile technology to realize business benefits, IDC conducted a survey, the results of which were printed in a white paper titled “Creating Business Value from Mobile-First Development Practices.” Sponsored by enterprise mobility leader Kony, Inc., the survey of more than 400 IT decision makers who are responsible for influencing or directing mobile strategy at enterprises in the United States, demonstrated that companies that make strategic investments in mobility are achieving significantly more meaningful business results than those that do not. However, only 16 percent of these companies have an enterprise-led mobile strategy.
The mobile revolution is underway: according to IDC, the number of smartphones and tablets shipped worldwide will reach over 2 billion units by 2017. With this explosive growth, mobility presents a new set of challenges for organizations. It also, however, presents a key opportunity to drive business transformation. According to the survey, an enterprise-led strategy that aligns with key stakeholders drives a range of benefits, including increased sales, better brand awareness, competitive advantage, and decreased costs.
“With the number of mobile applications downloaded from app stores expected to increase by a 31.7 percent CAGR by 2017, enterprises are realizing that a mobile strategy is no longer a nice-to-have but a must have,” said Thomas E. Hogan, chief executive officer, Kony Inc. “But bringing the goals of IT and the business into proper alignment is difficult when it comes to a mobile strategy. The results of the survey are further proof that those organizations that practice a mobile-first business model will improve business performance while engaging customers, business partners, and employees in new ways. Developing a clear mobile strategy is not something enterprises can ignore any longer.”
“To capitalize on mobile opportunities, organizations need a mobile-led strategy with support from the top,” said Stacy Crook, Research Director, Mobile Enterprise Software IDC. “Modern mobile application design asks for a fast and flexible model that engenders communication across the key stakeholders in the organization. By creating a cross-functional mobile center of excellence within their organization, enterprises are best positioned to build a cohesive strategy that marries line of business wishes to IT requirements.”
Key findings from the survey include:
- Companies that make enterprise-led strategic investments in mobility are realizing significantly higher levels of meaningful business benefits than those that have just business unit-led or departmental-led mobile approach.
- Only 16 percent of companies take a clear, enterprise-led approach to mobility. However, 93 percent of companies with an enterprise-led approach rated their success with mobile deployments higher than companies with a business unit-led or departmental-led approach.
- Nearly 50 percent of organizations using a mobile solution named the following benefits as critical for impacting their business: smarter, faster decision making, improved organizational efficiency, cost savings, better customer interaction and increased revenue.
- 41 percent of companies have an ongoing enterprise-wide mobile budget. These companies have the highest allowance for mobile budget, which tends to provide for strategic investments in mobile staff or to augment that staff with outside support.
- 31 percent of companies have a comprehensive mobile technical staff augmented with external support and another 30 percent have a mobile development/architect group.
- Nearly 40 percent of respondents cite security and compliance issues as a challenge, the most of any other response choice.
To obtain a copy of this exclusive executive research report and learn more about how your company stacks up with others globally, download the Kony sponsored IDC White Paper: Creating Business Value from Mobile-First Development Practices.
To understand how your company can get started building a more effective Enterprise Mobile Strategy:
- Find out The Secrets to Enterprise Mobility Success
- Watch webinar to learn more about Building a Successful Mobile Strategy - How To Guide
Kony is the fastest growing cloud-based mobile application development platform (MADP) in the industry with over 600 live multi-channel apps, serving over 20 million end users across 45 countries. The Kony Experience Platform is an integrated software development lifecycle (SDLC) platform to define, design, develop, test, deploy, and manage multi-channel applications from a single codebase. With Kony, you can deliver stunning user-first experiences, get to market faster, and lower your application TCO. Kony also offers ready-to-run B2E and B2C apps that enable customers to quickly extend their business.
In August 2013, Gartner placed Kony in the “Leaders” quadrant of the Magic Quadrant for Mobile Application Development Platforms. Kony was also honored in the Mobile Star Awards for achievements in enterprise application development; named a winner for Red Herring’s Top 100 North America award; and included on the Inc. 500|5000 list of fastest growing private companies in America. For more information, please visit www.kony.com. Connect with Kony on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.