DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/npfkpd/biogenidecs) has announced the addition of the "Biogen-Idec's Anti-LINGO-1" report to their offering.
LINGO-1 is a CNS-specific protein that is present on axons and oligodendrocytes, the producers of myelin. LINGO-1 acts as an inhibitor of myelination. Biogen-Idec has conducted a robust pre-clinical program that provides compelling proof-of-concept that LINGO-1 blockade promotes remyelination.
BIIB033, Biogen-Idec's anti-LINGO-1 antibody, has generated significant interest as it represents a novel approach to treat multiple sclerosis. Currently, phase II exploratory studies in patients with relapsing forms of MS and in acute optic neuritis often associated with MS are underway.
The main goal of current drugs for MS is to reduce the autoimmune reaction against CNS components, mainly myelin. These drugs act to suppress lymphocyte subsets, reduce trafficking of immune cells across the blood-brain-barrier, and/or to cause autoreactive cells to be retained in peripheral lymphoid organs.
Other potential remyelination therapies in development are:
- GSK239512 (Glaxo SmithKline) - an oral, histamine 3 receptor antagonist
- rHIgM22 (Acorda Therapeutics) - a naturally occurring antibody that promotes myelin repair
- VX15/2503 (Vaccinex) - an anti- Semaphorin 4D
Key Topics Covered:
- The Pathobiology of MS
- Current treatments for RRMS
- Remyelination as a Therapeutic Approach in MS
LINGO-1 blockade in animals promotes remyelination
- Preclinical Experiments
- Clinical trials
Ongoing Phase II Trials
Clinical And Regulatory Discussion
- How relevant are animal models to human MS disease?
- How can clinical benefit of BIIB033 in MS be demonstrated?
- Are BIIB033 levels in the CNS after systemic administration sufficient to produce remyelination in humans?
- What are relevant and acceptable clinical endpoints?
- Imaging techniques to assess remyelination still need to be validated
- What biomarkers may be useful to suggest remyelination benefit?
- What possible scenarios could play out for clinical development of BIIB033?
Overview of the Market for MS Therapies
- US Market for MS Therapies
- What price can BIIB033 command?
- Who will be candidates for BIIB033?
LINGO-1 could be a therapeutic target in other conditions besides MS
- Glaxo SmithKline
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/npfkpd/biogenidecs