FRAMINGHAM, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The majority of administrative professionals are happier than their bosses (61 percent vs. 18 percent), according to the third annual Staples survey of non-admin and admin workers in honor of National Administrative Professionals’ Day on Wednesday, April 23. And for the second year in a row, a majority of respondents say the admin boosts employee morale and is a better team player than the boss. The online poll also found:
- Multi-talented: Admins report their roles run the gamut – everything from accounting to human resources – and over one-third of respondents report they have used social media on behalf of the boss.
- Above and beyond: Of the admins surveyed, 40 percent report they have provided childcare for co-workers, 20 percent have watched pets, 20 percent are known as the resident “fashion consultant,” and more than ten percent admit they have been the office “matchmaker.”
- Would you like Andrea Sachs’ assistant job from the movie Devil Wears Prada? No thanks say two-thirds of the respondents – even if it meant working for a prestigious company or high-profile person.
When it comes to who holds the most power in the office, the boss wins. But second in command is the admin, ahead of the chief financial officer and human resources director. And once again, the majority of survey participants report the admin is working harder than ever and supporting more people than the previous year.
“Staples is proud to recognize the great work being done by administrative professionals and the critical role they play in companies across the country,” said Mike Edwards, Staples executive vice president, merchandising. “National Administrative Professionals’ Day is an opportunity to thank these hard-working individuals for helping their businesses make more happen every day.”
According to the survey, more than one-third of businesses plan to celebrate National Administrative Professionals’ Day. To help offices recognize their contributions, Staples offers an assortment of great gift ideas for your admin, with free shipping for Staples Rewards Members and next day delivery in most cases, including:
- A complete makeover for their desktop with Poppin’ office supplies
- A Staples $50 eGift card with a free personalized mug, delivered in time for Admin’s day if ordered by April 11.
- Keurig® OfficePRO® Single-Cup Commercial Coffee Brewer, starting at $129.99
- Staples® Breeford™ Bonded Leather Managers Chair, starting at $169.99
- Great notebooks like the M by Staples™ Arc Customizable Leather Notebook System, starting at $19.59, and the Moleskine Classic Colored Notebook, starting at $20.95
- An assortment of the best pens, including the AvantPro™ Pen with Silkscribe Ink, starting at $8.49 and the Cross Tech 2.2 Dual Function Ballpoint Pen with Stylus and Screen Cleaning Cloth, starting at $15
In honor of National Administrative Professionals’ Day, Staples is teaming up with administrative assistants to celebrities, such as Omar Berumen and Jake Rubin, assistants to Patti Stanger of Millionaire Matchmaker, Sarah Knight, assistant to E! News anchor Giuliana Rancic, and Tami Olin, assistant to legendary artist Wynonna Judd. Join them, plus national small business expert Melinda Emerson (@SmallBizLady), the Executive Assistants Organization (@BehindELeader), and Vera Sweeney of Lady and the Blog (@VeraSweeney) for a Twitter Party on April 23, 2014 from 1-2 p.m. ET. Join in and use the hashtag #CelebrateAdmins for a chance to win prizes including a Kindle Fire HDX, and learn more interesting tidbits from the survey.
About the Survey
The Staples #CelebrateAdmins Survey was conducted via SurveyMonkey and launched via Staples Twitter handle on March 17, 2014. The survey closed March 31, 2014 and received 613 responses.
Staples makes it easy to make more happen with more products and more ways to shop. Through its world-class retail, online and delivery capabilities, Staples lets customers shop however and whenever they want, whether it’s in-store, online or on mobile devices. Staples offers more products than ever, such as technology, facilities and breakroom supplies, furniture, safety supplies, medical supplies, and Copy and Print services. Staples also offers free shipping for Staples Rewards Members, in most cases overnight. Headquartered outside of Boston, Staples operates throughout North and South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand. More information about Staples (SPLS) is available at www.staples.com.