DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Unwired Planet, Inc. today announced that its wholly-owned subsidiary, Unwired Planet International Ltd., a company organized under the laws of the Republic of Ireland, has filed parallel patent infringement actions in the Patents Court, High Court of Justice, London, United Kingdom and in the Landgericht (District Court), Dusseldorf, Germany. The UK lawsuit, asserted against Samsung, Google and Huawei, involves a total of six UK patents covering technologies fundamental to wireless communications found in mobile devices and network equipment, including the use of 2G/3G/4G telecommunication standards and push notification technology underpinning the Android ecosystem. The German lawsuit, asserted against Samsung, Google, Huawei, and HTC, involves the six German equivalents of these UK patents.
“We are committed to FRAND licensing principles and our preference remains to complete royalty-bearing license arrangements without litigation whenever possible,” said Philip Vachon, chairman of Unwired Planet. “To that end, we have established fair and reasonable licensing rates that we believe are wholly justified by our portfolio. Our goal has been, and remains, to license each of these parties in 2014 at these rates. However, we have determined that enforcement is necessary at this time to expedite ongoing discussions, establish a concrete timeline for resolution and, if necessary, to demonstrate the value of a small sample of our expansive and diverse patent portfolio of over 2,600 patent assets through formal and visible means.
“We have selected the courts in the UK and Germany, each a well-respected forum for resolving intellectual property disputes. These courts are among the fastest and most efficient ways to protect intellectual property rights. In addition, both courts offer strong remedies if a license cannot be reached on FRAND terms, including the potential for injunctive relief.”
The patents involved in the lawsuits are:
1. European Patent No. 0,989,712, entitled “Method and Apparatus for Establishing a Secure Connection over a One-Way Data Path,” asserted against Google Inc.’s Android Cloud To Device Messaging (C2DM) and Google Cloud Messaging for Android (GCM), and applications, mobile phones and tablets which use these messaging services. This patent generally relates to securing data transmissions in a wireless network.
2. European Patent No. 2,119,287, entitled “Self Configuring and Optimisation of Cell Neighbours in Wireless Telecommunications Networks,” asserted against mobile devices, together with base stations, operating according to the LTE telecommunications standard. This patent generally relates to cell reporting in wireless telecommunications networks.
3. European Patent No. 2,485,514 entitled “Self Configuring and Optimisation of Cell Neighbours in Wireless Telecommunications Networks,” asserted against mobile devices, together with base stations, operating according to the LTE telecommunications standard. This patent generally relates to cell reporting in wireless telecommunications networks.
4. European Patent No. 2,229,744, entitled “Method and Arrangement in a Wireless Communication Network,” asserted against mobile devices, together with base stations, operating according to the LTE telecommunications standard. This patent generally relates to status reporting for transmitted data packets in wireless telecommunications networks.
5. European Patent 1,105,991, entitled “Communication Methods and Apparatus Based on Orthogonal Hadamard-Based Sequences Having Selected Correlation Properties,” asserted against mobile devices, together with base stations, operating according to the UMTS telecommunications standard. This patent generally relates to cell search procedures and associated encoding and decoding of synchronization channels in wireless telecommunications networks.
6. European Patent No. 1,230,818, entitled “Method for Improving Handovers Between Mobile Communication Systems,” asserted against mobile devices operating according to the GSM telecommunications standard. This patent generally relates to cell measurement reporting and conversion between different mobile communication systems.
The Company plans to post documents filed with the respective courts to its website when they become available.
About Unwired Planet
Unwired Planet, Inc. (NASDAQ: UPIP) is the inventor of the Mobile Internet and a premier intellectual property company focused exclusively on the mobile industry. The company's patent portfolio of over 2,600 issued and pending US and foreign patents, includes technologies that allow mobile devices to connect to the Internet and enable mobile communications. The portfolio spans 2G, 3G, and 4G technologies, as well as cloud-based mobile applications and services. Unwired Planet's portfolio includes patents related to key mobile technologies, including baseband mobile communications, mobile browsers, mobile advertising, push notification technology, maps and location based services, mobile application stores, social networking, mobile gaming, and mobile search. Unwired Planet is headquartered in Reno, Nevada. References in this release to Unwired Planet may be to Unwired Planet, Inc. or its subsidiaries.
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward Looking Statements
Any statements in this press release with respect to future events or expectations, including statements regarding the Company's licensing activities and expectations regarding enhancing shareholder value are forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933. These forward-looking statements are subject to many risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those projected. Notwithstanding changes that may occur with respect to matters relating to any forward looking statements, Unwired Planet assumes no obligation to update the forward-looking statements included in this press release. For a detailed discussion of these and other factors that may cause these forward looking statements not to come true, please refer to the risk factors discussed in Unwired Planet's filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, including the company's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2013. These documents are available at www.sec.gov or from Unwired Planet's website at www.unwiredplanet.com.