GAINESVILLE, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Exactech, Inc. (Nasdaq: EXAC), a developer and producer of bone and joint restoration products, commemorates the twentieth anniversary of its knee system with the launch of ExactechGPS® Guided Personalized Surgery, the first advanced surgical technology to provide orthopaedic surgeons with a truly real-time patient-specific solution in total knee arthroplasty.
As a pioneer of knee replacement, Exactech used its surgeon- and engineer-driven principles to merge sophisticated technology with innovative instrumentation, offering surgeons real-time control for total knee arthroplasty. With an easy-to-read graphical interface on a touch screen in the sterile field and streamlined operative flow, ExactechGPS allows surgeons to fully understand the knee anatomy through instantaneous data and imaging, which can be an invaluable reference in their decisions regarding bone removal and where to position the implant based on the anatomical structure of the patient.
“ExactechGPS introduces a new concept that offers surgeons the benefits of a patient-specific solution in total knee replacement with the precision and accuracy of navigation, creating a new space in the market for advanced surgical technologies,” Exactech President David Petty said. “Through early clinical evaluations, surgeons who use conventional instrumentation and those who use advanced surgical technologies have had remarkable response and positive results.”
ExactechGPS supports a wide array of soft tissue strategies, ligament balancing options and less invasive approaches and techniques. Through mechanical testing, ExactechGPS has demonstrated a high level of accuracy and precision to within one degree and one millimeter of variability.1 Medical literature documents the importance of precise implant alignment for implant longevity.2
At the 2014 American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons annual meeting, Exactech will also introduce a patented real-time guide, which allows for simple positioning of the femoral resection through a single, navigated device.
“Twenty years ago, Exactech made a commitment to develop a comprehensive knee system that would meet the wide range of total knee replacement patients,” Petty said. “With this exciting launch, Exactech showcases its investment in providing innovative solutions to better patient outcomes.”
The launch coincides with the twentieth anniversary of the Exactech Knee system — a system that has been recognized for delivering performance over time1 with proven, time-tested design, proprietary net compression molded polyethylene and excellent long-term implant survivorship and clinical outcomes.1
Some of the highlights of the Exactech Knee system:
- Strong four-decade design lineage with roots beginning with the Total Condylar and Insall/Burstein knees.
- Excellent long-term clinical outcomes, including 97.2 to 98.6 percent documented implant survival rates.1
- Proprietary net compression molded polyethylene inserts maintain oxidation resistance and fracture toughness and have demonstrated excellent wear characteristics.1
- Patented design offers improved congruency and patella tracking and a tibial tray locking mechanism that reduces insert motion and disassociation.1
- Optetrak Logic PS removes 30 percent less bone than a traditional notch resection and is designed to maximize stability and range of motion while providing surgeons with an easier, faster and more consistent notch preparation.1
- Optetrak Logic CR offers a unique surgical technique and implant system to maintain the anatomical integrity of the posterior cruciate ligament. A selection of CR Slope® inserts allows surgeons to easily balance flexion-extension gaps.
- Optetrak Logic PS Constrained and CR Constrained inserts allow surgeons to easily transition intra-operatively to an increased constraint insert without additional bone preparation.
- Low Profile Instrumentation features user-friendly instruments and a modular case design for greater efficiencies in the O.R.
Live demos of the ExactechGPS technology will be held next Wednesday, March 12, through Friday, March 14, at Exactech’s Booth #2261 during the AAOS 2014 Annual Meeting. More information about this and other Exactech innovations is available at www.exac.com/academy.
1. Data on file at Exactech, Inc.
2. Ritter MA, Faris PM, Keating EM, Meding JB. Postoperative alignment of total knee replacement: its effect on survival. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1994; 299: 153-156
Based in Gainesville, Fla., Exactech develops and markets orthopaedic implant devices, related surgical instruments and biologic materials and services to hospitals and physicians. The company manufactures many of its orthopaedic devices at its Gainesville facility. Exactech’s orthopaedic products are used in the restoration of bones and joints that have deteriorated as a result of injury or diseases such as arthritis. Exactech markets its products in the United States, in addition to more than 30 markets in Europe, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific. Additional information about Exactech, Inc. can be found at http://www.exac.com. Copies of Exactech’s press releases, SEC filings, current price quotes and other valuable information for investors may be found at http://www.exac.com and http://www.hawkassociates.com.
This release contains various forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, which represent the company’s expectations or beliefs concerning future events of the company’s financial performance. These forward-looking statements are further qualified by important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements. These factors include the effect of competitive pricing, the company’s dependence on the ability of third party manufacturers to produce components on a basis which is cost-effective to the company, market acceptance of the company’s products and the effects of government regulation. Results actually achieved may differ materially from expected results included in these statements.