UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--In advance of the 2014 Olympic Winter Games, NBCUniversal is opening a brand new state-of-the-art headquarters for its west coast news and television operations on the Universal Studios lot in Los Angeles. Starting February 2, NBC4 Southern California / KNBC was the first to broadcast from the new 150,000-square foot technologically-advanced facility, to be followed by the Los Angeles bureaus of NBC News, CNBC, MSNBC and Telemundo News as well as Telemundo 52 / KVEA later this spring.
Co-locating the news operations in the 24/7 broadcast center will enable their collective resources to be fully leveraged, fostering even greater collaboration. Featuring the latest technologies and enhancements, the space – which spans two three-story buildings – is a full-service multi-platform production facility and includes four newsroom facilities, six production studios and an advanced content distribution center.
“NBCUniversal is committed to long-term investments in our core businesses located in Los Angeles, which is the home of our west coast headquarters,” said Michael Moore, President and General Manager, NBCUniversal Studio Operations Group. “It is essential that our west coast news and television operations are supported by a state-of-the-art broadcast center to best deliver the news and programming to our viewers worldwide.”
The multi-million dollar investment also includes:
- State-of-the-art audio and video production systems to create news and entertainment programming on-air and digitally;
- Forty satellite feeds monitored simultaneously, a 40 percent increase from the previous location;
- Over 12,000 individual strands – more than 380 miles – of fiber crossing between both buildings;
- Mactech LED lighting, innovative technology installed by Universal Studios, with 50,000 hours of energy efficient usage;
- Drought-tolerant landscape that is sensitive to Southern California’s water shortage crisis; and
- A spacious outdoor courtyard which lends itself to community or employee events.
The center’s first occupant – NBC4 Southern California – is broadcasting from a dynamic new set uniquely designed to enhance story-telling and deliver breaking news. The set features 27 high-definition monitors capable of displaying rich multimedia graphics for an even greater viewer experience and adaptable for live and taped video.
“The strength of NBC4 has always been in our story-telling and newsgathering, coupled with production and delivery of valuable on-air and digital content,” said Steve Carlston, President and General Manager, NBC4. “The expansion to the broadcast center gives us even more ability to effectively compete in the marketplace and continue to deliver meaningful stories about the diverse communities in Southern California.”
Other features of NBC4’s new set include:
- A weather center that can double as breaking news headquarters. The new weather center includes nearly a dozen monitors and a “L” bar graphic to best display Southern California’s seven microclimates to better help viewers get the information they need;
- A perceptive pixel screen that will serve as a ‘giant iPad’ set-up for interactive presentations by journalists;
- A newly designed interview space for one-on-one in-depth interviews;
- Two screens directly in front of the anchor desk that holds two screens directly in front to display anchor names and other visuals;
- A freestanding video wall comprised of five vertical monitors consisting of live high-definition pictures from multiple locations throughout Southern California;
- Three large monitors are positioned to the right of the set, adaptable for vertical or horizontal use; and
- A sports area that includes a new interactive screen and a large desk to facilitate roundtable discussions. It will be widely seen by viewers during the station’s coverage of the Olympics beginning on February 7.
The investment by NBCUniversal to create a state-of-the-art west coast broadcast center reaffirms the company’s commitment to keep and grow its businesses in Los Angeles. More than 600 people will work out of the broadcast center in addition to the more than 10,000 other employees who already work on the Universal Studios lot.
NBCUniversal is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks, and a suite of leading Internet-based businesses. NBCUniversal is owned by Comcast Corporation.