SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--THX Ltd. today announced the highly-anticipated THX tune-up™ application for Android devices, now available in the Google Play store. Just like the award- winning THX tune-up for iOS, the Android app is an easy-to-use, interactive tool that lets consumers use their Android device to adjust their TV, projector and speakers in order to get the best performance and enjoyment from their entertainment system.
With major sporting events due to take over regularly scheduled programing this February, consumers can now make certain their home entertainment systems are optimized for best picture and sound performance. THX is offering the Android and iOS apps free worldwide from January 24 through February 3, 2014. Following that, THX tune-up will be available at its regular price of $1.99 USD worldwide.
THX tune-up features
Using specifically designed video patterns and audio tests, THX tune-up allows consumers to check that video equipment settings are optimized based on the consumer’s equipment capabilities and room lighting, and that separate speakers are connected and working properly. For televisions, color and tint settings are often complicated to adjust properly without special glasses or other unique equipment. THX tune-up cleverly uses the device’s built-in camera and a special, THX-designed color filter to help consumers easily ensure that colors are accurate and that skin tones appear natural.
The interactive app provides users with step-by-step instructions via narration and text as well as a detailed guide on how to use all of its features, walking consumers step by step through the following tests:
- Aspect ratio – ensures shapes and sizes are displayed in the correct proportions
- Brightness – makes certain shadow details and night scenes remain visible
- Contrast – ensures that various levels of white do not blend together or appear washed out
- Color – makes certain colors are balanced and not overly saturated
- Tint – ensures skin tones appear natural and not too green or red
- Speaker assignment – ensures that speakers are connected to the correct audio output
- Speaker phase – confirms that positive and negative speaker wires are connected properly and that all speakers are in phase
The THX tune-up app is not intended to provide full calibration capabilities. For those seeking a higher level of control and fine-tuning, THX has the THX Calibrator Blu-ray Disc which is part of the toolkit of THX Certified Professionals, and is available in limited quantities at industry tradeshows and events in which THX participates.
THX tune-up is not just about settings – THX added a few classic cinema features that can be appreciated over and over again:
- “THX Deep Note” – the sound that made THX famous is available at the touch of a button in 5.1 surround sound
- “THX Trailers” – extraordinary THX trailers (just like the ones in THX Certified Cinemas) are available in HD for users to show off their newly-tuned TV and sound systems to friends and family
- “Moo Can” – users can tilt their phone or tablet to hear the classic “moo” sound from a popular THX cinema trailer
- “Ask Tex” – provides consumers with an easy way to get answers to any questions they might have for THX about their home theater equipment and setup process
THX tune-up is available now for the HTC One, HTC One Max, HTC One X, HTC One X+, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7-2013, Nexus 10, Samsung Galaxy S4 and Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Android devices with OS version 4.2.2 or later. THX tune-up is also available for Apple iOS devices, including the iPad 2, 3 and 4 with iOS version 5.1.1 or later; the iPad Mini with version 6.0 or later; the iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5C and 5S with iOS version 5.1.1 or later; and the iPod Touch, generation 4 or later with iOS version 5.1.1 or later.
To connect your Android phone or tablet to your TV, projector or AVR you must use an HDMI cable and an HDMI adapter that is compatible with your specific Android device.
To connect your Apple phone or tablet you must use an HDMI cable and a 30-pin Digital AV adapter or Lightning Digital AV adapter. A wireless connection can be made with iDevices that allow mirroring to Apple TV with Airplay.
Founded by George Lucas 30 years ago and recognized by audiences around the globe, THX is synonymous with the certification of world-class cinemas and recording studios, premium audio systems for home and automotive applications, high definition displays and multi-media systems. THX develops and licenses new technologies and specifications for audio and video applications.