LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today at the 2014 International CES® trade show, NETGEAR®, Inc. (NASDAQGM: NTGR) (www.netgear.com), a global networking company that delivers innovative products to consumers, businesses and service providers, announced a new product family of advanced wireless IP cameras designed as an integrated component of the connected home. Available in both basic and advanced editions, the Ocuity Wireless IP Camera incorporates innovative technology to offer home security systems providers an enhanced security and home automation solution for their subscribers (www.netgear.com/service-providers/products/home-monitoring-automation/ip-cameras).
- The Ocuity™ 100 Wireless IP Camera (HMNC100) (www.netgear.com/hmnc100) offers high-quality 720p resolution HD video and leverages selectable dual-band 802.11n WiFi for the fastest connection and comprehensive coverage across the home. Along with flexible mounting options, it offers a discreet, compact form factor and print-to-customize skins to blend into home décor.
- The Ocuity™ 500 Wireless IP Camera (HMNC500) (www.netgear.com/hmnc500) offers the same networking and HD capabilities as the Ocuity 100, but also features the MagnaFast™ magnetic mounting system for a broad range of modular mounting options. What makes Ocuity 500 a standout among home monitoring devices is that it is the industry’s first camera designed to combine high-quality HD video with breakthrough multifunction sensing and monitoring algorithms. This innovation in technology enables advanced motion detection capabilities combined with reliable audio detection capabilities, to enhance security and even support communication with the homeowner.
By installing Ocuity cameras, security systems providers make it possible for their subscribers to check on the people and things they care about most, with the minimum of fuss. Service providers experience fewer customer service calls and truck rolls due to the easy end-user installation and automatic, reliable, over-the-air updates.
“We leveraged our core competencies in home networking — ease of use and high-end design — to offer capabilities in Ocuity Wireless IP Cameras that go beyond video,” said Michael Clegg, senior vice president and general manager for Service Provider Business at NETGEAR. “The Ocuity Family expands our product portfolio so we are better able to address the needs of service providers who are looking for a complete, integrated home monitoring solution to offer their subscribers.”
Bold, Next-Generation Features of Ocuity 500
Ocuity 500 is the first camera designed to extend the functionality of home monitoring and automation systems to go beyond video event alerts. In addition to offering advanced video options, it includes an occupancy sensor, a security sensor, and a communication device.
Sound and video motion detection algorithms in the Ocuity 500 sense occupancy and initiate video based on distinct audio triggers such as breaking glass and loud noises. A microphone with echo cancellation and built-in speaker enables both security and health-and-wellness checks. Parents can even talk with their kids through a virtual intercom created by an app linking Ocuity 500 to their smartphones.
The Ocuity 500 is also the industry’s first IP camera of its type with modular mounting capability for intelligent accessories. The MagnaFast™ magnetic mounting system enables one camera to work with a complete range of adaptable, temporary mounting solutions, eliminating cable clutter and the need for tools. Wall, ceiling, desk, shelf, pan, tilt, and tri-pod — the Ocuity 500 can be moved and mounted in seconds where, when, and how it is needed. For example, the nanny-cam or pet-cam that has a logical position during a “normal” day may have a more desirable location when no one is at home, and the tri-pod option combined with Ocuity 500’s rechargeable battery means parents can keep an eye on the kids playing in the back yard. This dynamic configuration capability of Ocuity 500 also enables it to detect the base on which it is mounted and instantaneously present those positioning and control capabilities to the homeowner.
The Ocuity 500 comes with a built-in rechargeable battery that supports two hours of streaming video, maintaining a complete video record even through power outages. Multiple power management modes maximize battery life in different applications. It even includes a Micro SD card slot for expandable memory to protect video should the network connection become compromised, automatically synching later with remote network attached storage or cloud storage solutions.
“NETGEAR is using data analytics to extend the capabilities of its high-definition WiFi camera by converting unstructured audio and video streams into a high-quality motion and glass break sensor,” said Tom Kerber, director of research on Home Controls & Energy with Parks Associates, a market research and consulting firm focused on residential product and service segments (www.parksassociates.com). “Multi-function sensors will play an important role within the connected home, enhancing the capabilities of energy management, security, home health monitoring, and safety systems.”
Basic Features of Ocuity Wireless IP Cameras
The advanced Ocuity 500 and streamlined Ocuity 100 share many desirable features:
- 720p resolution for consistently high quality HD video optimized for video streaming
- 802.11n selectable dual-band (2.4 GHz / 5.0 GHz)* for the fastest connection and comprehensive coverage across the home
- Easily movable, with a 107-degree field of view
- A 30 second rolling buffer for pre-trigger event recording
- Built-in infrared LEDs to ensure quality HD video in the dark
- Integrated NETGEAR genie® application for intuitive monitoring of installed NETGEAR cameras and other connected devices
- Compact, discreet form factors and print-to-customize skins to blend into home décor
Pricing and Availability
The NETGEAR Ocuity 500 Wireless IP Camera (HMNC500) and Ocuity 100 Wireless IP Camera (HMNC100) will become available in the first quarter of 2014 through leading security and home automation service providers. End pricing will vary depending on the service provider offering.
The Ocuity 100 and 500 are among a number of new products that NETGEAR is demonstrating to press, customers and channel partners this week at the 2014 International CES® trade show in Las Vegas.
- NETGEAR Ocuity Wireless IP Cameras: http://www.netgear.com/service-providers/products/home-monitoring-automation/ip-cameras
- Ocuity 100: www.netgear.com/hmnc100
- Ocuity 500: www.netgear.com/hmnc500
- See all CES-related news from NETGEAR at www.netgear.com/ces.
- You can read all announcements from NETGEAR at netgear.com/about/press-releases/.
About NETGEAR, Inc.
NETGEAR (NASDAQGM: NTGR) is a global networking company that delivers innovative products to consumers, businesses and service providers. For consumers, the company makes high performance, dependable and easy to use home networking, storage and digital media products to connect people with the Internet and their content and devices. For businesses, NETGEAR provides networking, storage and security solutions without the cost and complexity of big IT. The company also supplies top service providers with retail-proven, mobile broadband solutions for their customers on the go. NETGEAR products are built on a variety of proven technologies such as wireless, Ethernet and Powerline, with a focus on reliability and ease-of-use. NETGEAR products are sold in approximately 45,000 retail locations around the globe, and through approximately 39,000 value-added resellers. The company's headquarters are in San Jose, Calif., with additional offices in over 25 countries. NETGEAR is an ENERGY STAR® partner. More information is available at www.NETGEAR.com or by calling (408) 907-8000. Connect with NETGEAR at twitter.com/NETGEAR and www.facebook.com/NETGEAR.
©2014 NETGEAR, Inc. NETGEAR, the NETGEAR logo, genie, MagnaFast and Ocuity are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of NETGEAR, Inc. and/or its subsidiaries in the United States and/or other countries. Other brand names mentioned herein are for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective holder(s). Information is subject to change without notice. All rights reserved.
* Actual data throughput and wireless coverage will vary. Network conditions and environmental factors, including volume of network traffic, building materials and construction, and network overhead, lower actual data throughput rate and wireless coverage. NETGEAR makes no express or implied representations or warranties about this product’s compatibility with any future standards.
Safe Harbor Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 for NETGEAR, Inc.: This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Specifically, statements concerning NETGEAR's business and the expected performance characteristics, specifications, reliability, market acceptance, market growth, specific uses, user feedback and market position of NETGEAR's products and technology are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Safe Harbor. These statements are based on management's current expectations and are subject to certain risks and uncertainties, including, without limitation, the following: the actual price, performance and ease of use of NETGEAR's products may not meet the price, performance and ease of use requirements of customers; product performance may be adversely affected by real world operating conditions; failure of products may under certain circumstances cause permanent loss of end user data; new viruses or Internet threats may develop that challenge the effectiveness of security features in NETGEAR's products; the ability of NETGEAR to market and sell its products and technology; the impact and pricing of competing products; and the introduction of alternative technological solutions. Further information on potential risk factors that could affect NETGEAR and its business are detailed in the Company's periodic filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. NETGEAR undertakes no obligation to release publicly any revisions to any forward-looking statements contained herein to reflect events or circumstances after the date hereof or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events.