ANNAPOLIS, Md.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Hertz (NYSE:HTZ), the world’s largest car rental company, and ARINC Incorporated announced today that Hertz has selected ARINC’s microFIDS digital signage solution to provide up-to-the minute access to flight information at its San Diego Airport location. The microFIDS units are part of Hertz’s re-branding effort that harness the latest in technology to re-invent the car rental experience and provide customers with a new and improved way to rent cars.
“Hertz is reinventing the car rental experience with a goal to make our customer’s travel experience as easy as possible,” said Hertz Chief Information Officer, David Trimm. “With microFIDS, we have found a cost-effective way of giving customers the information they need, right when they need it. Customers at our San Diego location have complimented the system and Hertz for making important flight information available as they plan their return trip to the airport terminal.”
Hertz has redesigned its San Diego Airport facility to provide technology that makes the car-rental process faster, easier and more flexible. With microFIDS from ARINC, Hertz is deploying up-to-the minute flight, weather and destination information outside the rental office so passengers can see critical travel-related information while on-the-go.
“Hertz is employing a number of key technologies to improve its customers’ travel experience,” said Christopher Forrest, Managing Director at ARINC Managed Services. “By using ARINC’s digital signage solution to provide important information, Hertz is taking one more to step to make their customers’ travel easier and less stressful.”
microFIDS have rugged outdoor screens and can be placed outside of rental offices or in parking areas. For travelers arriving at the airport, microFIDS provide the first opportunity to see their flight status. The units can display content in addition to flight information, such as advertising and airport information. microFIDS offer a unique advantage over other digital signage solutions because the ease of installation and user-friendly interface makes content updates simple to implement. “Deploying microFIDS is very straightforward and because everything is web-based, it’s up and running immediately after installation,” adds Forrest.
In addition to providing flight, weather and destination information via the microFIDS Signage, Hertz’s San Diego location has been re-designed to streamline the rental experience. The facility makeover takes into consideration the common road trip staples, tools and services typically desired by travelers, and offer the following to help enhance the travel experience:
- Bus Tracking: Working with its leasing company, Donlen, Hertz is piloting new telematics for its busses. With smarter tracking, customers have access to an app that enables them to see how many minutes until a Hertz bus will be at the terminal. The system helps bus drivers identify where customers need to be picked up creating a more efficient bussing system and decreasing the amount of fuel used.
- On-Site Retail: Forgot something? The “Road Trip by Hertz” retail station offers customers food and drinks and essential travel supplies—everything from maps and sunscreen to charging cords and beach bags. Luggage, clothing and accessories are also available to make the experience a one-stop-shop for both families and the business traveler.
- On-Site Technology Tools: After a long flight, customers can take a break and recharge their electronic equipment. Additionally, they can interact with an iPad station to access the latest travel apps, entertain kids with games, and book a Hertz reservation, among other things.
- On-Site Business Tools: Customers can print on-site and access FedEx directly inside the store to send important documents and packages.
- Dramatic Vehicle Displays: New vehicle displays showcase Hertz’s unique and exciting rental cars – such as the Hertz Penske GT in the U.S. – that have been added to raise visibility of the company’s expanding fleet options among customers, a further connect with car lovers.
- Sustainability Leadership: The facility transformations also adhere to the company’s commitment to global sustainability best practices.
To see Hertz’s newly redesigned locations, visit: http://www.multivu.com/mnr/51469-hertz-road-trip-retail-stations-bus-tracking-system-new-app-travel
ARINC Incorporated, a portfolio company of The Carlyle Group, provides communications, engineering and integration solutions for commercial and government customers worldwide. Headquartered in Annapolis, Maryland with regional headquarters in London and Singapore, ARINC is ISO 9001:2008 and AS9100:2009 Rev C certified. For more information, visit the website at www.arinc.com.
Hertz operates its car rental business through the Hertz, Dollar and Thrifty brands from approximately 10,400 corporate, licensee and franchisee locations in North America, Europe, Latin America, Asia, Australia, Africa, the Middle East and New Zealand. Hertz is the largest worldwide airport general use car rental brand, operating from approximately 8,800 corporate and licensee locations in approximately 150 countries. Hertz is the number one airport car rental brand in the U.S. and at 111 major airports in Europe. Dollar and Thrifty have approximately 1,580 corporate and franchisee locations in approximately 80 countries. Hertz is an inaugural member of Travel + Leisure’s World’s Best Awards Hall of Fame and was recently named, for the thirteenth time, by the magazine’s readers as the Best Car Rental Agency. Hertz was also voted the Best Overall Car Rental Company in Zagat’s 2013/14 U.S. Car Rental Survey, earning top honors in 10 additional categories, and the Company swept the global awards for Best Rewards Program and Best Overall Benefits from FlyerTalk.com. Product and services such as Hertz Gold Plus Rewards, NeverLost®, and unique cars and SUVs offered through the Company's Adrenaline, Prestige and Green Traveler Collections, set Hertz apart from the competition. Additionally, Hertz owns the vehicle leasing and fleet management leader Donlen Corporation and operates a leading North American equipment rental business, Hertz Equipment Rental Corporation, which includes Hertz Entertainment Services.