CHICAGO--(Redpoint Technologies have launched a new Crain’s app for iPad, the first iPad app for the brand atop a new unified publishing platform. Developed in partnership with Redpoint Technologies and the interactive digital team at Crain’s, the powerful new app touts complete content from Crain’s Chicago Business’ weekly print edition and breaking news from its website. The Crain’s Chicago Newsstand app can be downloaded from the App Store.SM)--Crain’s Chicago Business and
“We selected Redpoint as our partner because of its deep roots in enterprise application development, user experience and mobile technology. We knew the Redpoint team would work exceptionally well with our digital staff and help bring our vision to life.”
“We knew we wanted an iPad app that reflected the Crain’s brand: exceptional quality, rich content delivered in a targeted, useful format that is forward-thinking and modern,” said David Snyder, Publisher, Crain’s Chicago Business. “We selected Redpoint as our partner because of its deep roots in enterprise application development, user experience and mobile technology. We knew the Redpoint team would work exceptionally well with our digital staff and help bring our vision to life.”
Redpoint designed the Crain’s Chicago Business app to capitalize on the interactive capabilities of the iPad and engage readers in a meaningful way:
- Automatic overnight updates deliver fresh content each morning
- Full offline functionality lets readers access Crain’s news anytime, anywhere
- Breaking news is refreshed hourly and continuously updated
- Extensive multimedia content includes galleries, slideshows, and video
- Readers can browse according to their preference by scanning headlines or reading full articles
- Navigation between publication sections is fast and easy
- Unique page-flipping technique allows users to browse page–by-page
- Crain’s famous business lists are specially formatted for tablet readability
- Portrait and landscape orientation modes accommodate user preferences
- The app integrates with all of Crain’s advertising partners so ads have full functionality
- Non-subscribers can sample free content upon download, then purchase a subscription via the App Store or at ChicagoBusiness.com
- Existing Crain’s subscribers can register to unlock full access to content
“As we built out the Crain’s app, we wanted to ensure users would have full and seamless access to the latest, most relevant content Crain’s Chicago Business is publishing,” said Rob Wenc, Principal at Redpoint Technologies. “We incorporated cutting-edge functionality into the app’s core architecture, synchronization engine, navigation, and user experience to make this one of our most innovative apps yet. We also ensured that publishing to the iPad didn’t burden Crain’s already busy editorial staff, so we integrated this solution very closely with Crain’s existing content management system and workflow.”
The Redpoint team followed agile software development principles to deliver early iterations of working software to Crain’s within weeks of the project launch. Redpoint and Crain’s then worked in close collaboration to build out the app’s features and functions.
Click to Tweet
About Redpoint Technologies
Founded in 1999 with offices in Chicago, Milwaukee and Indianapolis, Redpoint solves complex business problems using proven, leading-edge technologies and agile best practices. With deep roots in enterprise development platforms like Java and .NET, Redpoint has, in recent years, become one of Chicagoland's premier Ruby on Rails and mobile application development firms. For more information, visit www.RedpointTech.com.
About Crain’s Chicago Business
Crain’s is the professional power source for news and information about doing business in Chicago. With a readership over 236,000, more than 1 million unique site visitors per month and nearly 70% of print subscribers in top management, Crain’s award-winning journalism delivers. Through print, digital, video, mobile and events, Crain’s has been raising tax brackets since 1978. www.chicagobusiness.com.
Apple and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.