FRAMINGHAM, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--IDC Government Insights today hosted a webinar titled, IDC Government Insights Predictions 2013: U.S. Government, highlighting market predictions for the year ahead. Featuring analysts Thom Rubel, Ruthbea Clarke, Shawn McCarthy, and Adelaide O'Brien, the session provided organizations (and government agencies) with insight and perspective on long-term industry trends along with new themes on the horizon. The Predictions Web conference series is designed to help company leaders capitalize on emerging market opportunities and plan for future growth. An audio replay of today's Web conference will be available within 48 hours; to access the replay and receive a complimentary copy of the presentation, please visit: http://bit.ly/GI_Predictions2013_Government.
The Top 10 Predictions for 2013 are:
- Prediction 1 – Infrastructure consolidation will hit its peak as governments accelerate cloud adoption by over 50% above 2012 levels, accounting for more than 7% of all government IT spending.
- Prediction 2 – Tactical deployments of Big Data solutions will grow by over 30% CAGR and will accelerate broader pervasive analytics deployment, laying the foundation for Smart Government.
- Prediction 3 – Agencies/organizations/offices will rapidly begin to rationalize and establish baseline costs for IT assets and identify endpoint device choices – PCs, tablets, and smart phones – for "best use."
- Prediction 4 – Mobile devices and apps, smart sensors, cloud computing solutions, and citizen-facing portals will create a 48% increase in digital information, creating new records management access and retrieval issues.
- Prediction 5 – Cloud sharing/collaboration among governments (federal, state, and local) and shared services will account for 18% of the government cloud market and create new business models for IT procurement and provisioning.
- Prediction 6 – Though they continue to lag behind other industries in investing in social business software, 35% of government organizations will initiate social analytics tools evaluation and/or implementation.
- Prediction 7 – All levels of government will accelerate mobile applications development. In 2013, 35% of new federal and state applications will be mobile and 45% of new local applications will be mobile.
- Prediction 8 – Over 40% of U.S. local governments will be in the research and evaluation stage for Smart City pilots/projects and 50% of these will begin some level of implementation in 2013.
- Prediction 9 – Government organizations that promote open data will foster 25% more private commercial activity in apps and services that will facilitate improved outcomes across a range of government goals.
- Prediction 10 – Public/private partnerships will be redefined based on mutual mission goals and outcomes that create mutual government/commercial partnership and research benefits.
"Operational efficiency and mission effectiveness are the key drivers for IT value in government in 2013," said Thom Rubel, Vice President, IDC Government Insights. "Government organizations are rapidly adopting 3rd platform technologies – big data/analytics, cloud, social business and mobility in tactical ways that will quickly transcend to broader 'Smart' strategies. In addition, the coming year will present significant changes in government/commercial partnerships to achieve mutual goals."
For additional information about these predictions or to arrange a one-on-one briefing, please contact Sarah Murray at 781-378-2674 or email@example.com. Reports are available to qualified members of the media. For information on purchasing reports, contact firstname.lastname@example.org; reporters should email email@example.com.
About IDC Predictions
A hallmark of IDC's offering for three decades, the annual Top 10 Predictions reports provide our outlook on the IT market, across industries, for the coming year. During the next 60 days, IDC will publish dozens of Top 10 Predictions documents for 2013. Please visit www.idc.com/predictions2013 for a complete listing.
About IDC Government Insights
IDC Government Insights assists government policy, program, and IT leaders, as well as the suppliers who serve them, in making more effective technology decisions by providing accurate, timely, and insightful fact-based research and consulting services. Staffed by senior analysts with decades of government and IT industry experience, our global research analyzes and advises on business and technology issues facing the Federal/Central and local/provincial Governments. International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology market. IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world’s leading technology, media, research, and events company. For more information, please visit www.idc-gi.com, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 703-485-8300. Visit the IDC Government Insights Community at http://idc-insights-community.com/government.