EXTON, Pa.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Bentley Systems, Incorporated, the leading company dedicated to providing comprehensive software solutions for sustaining infrastructure, today announced the winners of the 2012 Be Inspired Awards. The awards honor the extraordinary work of Bentley users improving the world’s infrastructure. They were presented last night at a ceremony during the annual Be Inspired: Innovations in Infrastructure event, held Nov. 13-14, in Amsterdam, Netherlands. This invitation-only conference was attended by infrastructure executives and thought leaders from around the globe, as well as by more than 80 members of the media from leading publications. This year’s special guest speaker was Greg Williams, executive editor, Wired magazine, a three-time National Magazine Award–winning publication focused on how ideas and innovation are changing the world. Williams, who is based in London, is an award-winning journalist, public speaker, and consultant. During the awards presentations, 20 Be Inspired Awards winners were recognized. In addition, the winners of the Be Inspired Special Recognition Awards, announced last month, were acknowledged, as was the recipient of the Bentley Educator of the Year award, Dr. Guenter Maresch, professor, University of Salzburg and University of Education Salzburg.
Five independent panels of jurors, comprising accomplished Bentley users and distinguished industry experts, selected the Be Inspired Awards winners from 58 project finalists. These finalists had been previously chosen from the nominations submitted by more than 250 organizations in 39 countries.
Candidates for Bentley’s fourth annual Be Inspired Special Recognition Awards were placed into nomination by the jurors for their uniquely innovative and visionary achievements embracing multiple Be Inspired Awards categories. The nominees were then reviewed by a panel of Bentley executives. This year’s seven winners were recognized for exemplary accomplishments in the following categories: Attaining Return on Innovation, Sustaining Our Society, Sustaining Our Environment, Sustaining the Professions, Advancing Information Mobility, Innovation in Asset Performance Management, and Bentley Developer Network Award.
CEO Greg Bentley said, “Each year we at Bentley Systems have the distinct honor and privilege of recognizing and applauding the extraordinary project work of not only the Be Inspired and Be Inspired Special Recognition award winners, but also all of the nominees. As our independent panels of judges will attest to, this competition singles out the best of the best, and, thus, the achievements of all are remarkable. Working smarter, together, these talented infrastructure professionals have innovatively employed our information modeling and collaboration tools, along with best practices, in accomplishing their crucial mission of sustaining infrastructure. I thank them all for improving quality of life for people everywhere, and I congratulate this year’s award winners for their inspiring work and dedication to excellence.”
Bentley has posted highlights of this year’s winning projects on its website and will include detailed descriptions of all nominated projects in the print and digital versions of The Year in Infrastructure 2012, which will be published by year’s end. To review the last eight editions of this publication, which together feature more than 1,600 world-class projects recognized in the Be Inspired Awards program since 2004, visit www.bentley.com/yearininfrastructure.
The Be Inspired Special Recognition Awards winners for 2012 are as follows:
Attaining Return on Innovation
- Pacific Gas and Electric Company – Bentley Substation Implementation – (San Francisco, California, U.S.A.)
Sustaining Our Society
- Parsons Brinckerhoff and Arup JV – Airport Link, Northern Busway (Windsor to Kedron) and Airport Roundabout Upgrade – (Brisbane, Australia)
Sustaining Our Environment
- CH2M HILL – Metro Wastewater Reclamation District, Northern Treatment Plant – (Denver, Colorado, U.S.A.)
Sustaining the Professions
- HydroChina Zhongnan Engineering Corporation – Utilization of the Bentley LEARN Training Subscription – (Changsha, China)
Advancing Information Mobility
- Shaw Power Group – Virginia City Hybrid Energy Center – (Virginia City, Virginia, U.S.A.)
Innovation in Asset Performance Management
- Ecofys Netherlands B.V. – Wind Turbine Test Site – (Lelystad, Netherlands)
Bentley Developer Network Award
- Hitachi-GE Nuclear Energy, Ltd. – Integrated Plant Construction System – (Hitachi, Japan)
The Be Inspired Awards winners for 2012 are as follows:
Connecting Project Teams
- Saudi Electricity Company/Implemented by Nahil Computer Company – Establishment of Kingdom-wide EDMS at SEC – (All Regions, Saudi Arabia)
Innovation in Asset Lifecycle Information Management
- Southern Company – Data Quality Manager Implementation ROI – (Birmingham, Alabama, U.S.A.)
Innovation in Bridges
- Modjeski and Masters, Inc. – Huey P. Long Bridge Widening – (New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A.)
Innovation in Building
- John McAslan + Partners – King’s Cross Station Redevelopment – (London, U.K.)
Innovation in Communications Networks
- IMMCO, Inc. – Quality Control Automation – (Denver, Colorado, U.S.A.)
Innovation in Construction
- Taylor Woodrow/BAM Nuttall JV – Victoria Station Upgrade Jet Grouting – (London, U.K.)
Innovation in Generative Design
- Robin Partington Architects – Park House – (London, U.K.)
Innovation in Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering
- Mississippi Department of Transportation Geotechnical Department – gINT Implementation at Mississippi DOT – (Jackson, Mississippi, U.S.A.)
Innovation in Government
- Crossrail Ltd – Crossrail – (London and South East England, U.K.)
Innovation in Land Development, Engineering, and Management
- Mortenson Construction – Spring Valley Wind Project – (Ely, Nevada, U.S.A.)
Innovation in Mining and Metals
- Petra Diamonds Limited – Finsch GIS – (Lime Acres, South Africa)
Innovation in Offshore Engineering
- Nippon Steel & Sumikin Engineering Co., Ltd. – Tokyo International Airport Re-expansion Project – (Tokyo, Japan)
Innovation in Power Generation
- HydroChina Zhongnan Engineering Corporation – Standard Design and Application for the Pumped Storage Power Station – (Zunyi, China)
Innovation in Process Manufacturing
- Zeton Inc. – Modular GTL Commercial Demonstration Plant – (Aracaju, Brazil)
Innovation in Rail and Transit
- Sweco AB – Hallandsås “Live BIM” Railway Project – (Förslöv/Båstad, Sweden)
Innovation in Roads
- Creighton Manning Engineering – Fuller Road and Washington Avenue – (Albany, New York, U.S.A.)
Innovation in Structural Engineering
- John A. Martin & Associates, Inc. – LAX International Terminal Expansion – (Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.)
Innovation in Utility Transmission and Distribution Networks
- Enogex LLC – Implementation of AutoPLANT and ProjectWise – (Western Oklahoma, U.S.A.)
Innovation in Water and Wastewater Treatment Plants
- Carollo Engineers, Inc. – South Secondary Improvements Project – (Denver, Colorado, U.S.A.)
Innovation in Water, Wastewater, and Stormwater Networks
- Azersu OJSC – GIS-based Infrastructure Asset Management at Azersu – (Baku, Azerbaijan)
For more information about the 2012 Be Inspired Special Recognition Awards winners and Be Inspired Awards winners, visit www.bentley.com/beinspired2012winners.
About Be Inspired Awards Program and Be Inspired: Innovations in Infrastructure
Since 2004, the Be Inspired Awards competition has showcased excellence and innovation in the design, construction, and operations of architecture and engineering infrastructure projects around the world. The Be Inspired Awards is unique – the only competition of its kind that is global in scope and comprehensive in categories covered, encompassing all types of infrastructure projects. In the awards program, which is open to all users of Bentley software, independent panels of industry experts select finalists for each category. For additional information, visit www.bentley.com/BeInspired.
Be Inspired: Innovations in Infrastructure is an invitation-only conference that provides a unique forum for senior-level executives to learn about the innovations driving the development and operations of the world’s top infrastructure projects. At the 2012 conference, which took place this week in Amsterdam, Netherlands, industry thought leaders from around the globe engaged in interactive discussions on topics of utmost importance to the business of sustaining infrastructure. Also in attendance were more than 80 members of the media from leading publications, who additionally participated in a special media day briefing on November 12.
The conference featured presentations by the Be Inspired Awards finalists and Be Inspired Special Recognition Awards winners, as well as executive roundtables focusing on business, technology, and practice issues crucial to infrastructure professionals around the world. It culminated in the Be Inspired Awards ceremony recognizing outstanding achievement and innovation in infrastructure design, construction, and operations by winners selected from 58 project finalists by five independent panels of jurors. In total, nominations from more than 250 organizations in 39 countries were submitted in this year’s awards program. For additional information about the Be Inspired: Innovations in Infrastructure event, visit www.bentley.com/BeInspired.
About Bentley Systems, Incorporated
Bentley is the global leader dedicated to providing architects, engineers, geospatial professionals, constructors, and owner-operators with comprehensive software solutions for sustaining infrastructure. Bentley Systems applies information mobility to improve asset performance by leveraging information modeling through integrated projects for intelligent infrastructure. Its solutions encompass the MicroStation platform for infrastructure design and modeling, the ProjectWise platform for infrastructure project team collaboration and work sharing, and the AssetWise platform for infrastructure asset operations – all supporting a broad portfolio of interoperable applications and complemented by worldwide professional services. Founded in 1984, Bentley has more than 3,000 colleagues in 50 countries, more than $500 million in annual revenues, and since 2003 has invested more than $1 billion in research, development, and acquisitions.
Additional information about Bentley is available at www.bentley.com and in Bentley’s annual report. For Bentley news as it happens, subscribe to an RSS feed of Bentley press releases and news alerts. To view a searchable collection of innovative infrastructure projects from the annual Be Inspired Awards, access Bentley’s Year in Infrastructure publications. To access a professional networking site that enables members of the infrastructure community to connect, communicate, and learn from each other, visit Be Communities.
To download the Bentley Infrastructure 500 Top Owners ranking, a unique global compendium of the top public- and private-sector owners of infrastructure based on the value of their cumulative infrastructure investments, visit www.bentley.com/500.
Bentley, the “B” Bentley logo, Be, MicroStation, AutoPLANT, Bentley LEARN, gINT, and ProjectWise are either registered or unregistered trademarks or service marks of Bentley Systems, Incorporated or one of its direct or indirect wholly owned subsidiaries. All other brands and product names are trademarks of their respective owners.