DALLAS--()--Samsung Telecommunications America, LLC (Samsung Mobile) - the No.1 mobile phone provider in the United States and a subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., the No. 1 smartphone provider worldwide1 - continues to advance the use of NFC technology in everyday life with the rollout of Samsung TecTile Version 3.0, the latest update to its popular mobile application. The Samsung TecTile 3.0 mobile app provides a variety of new ways to customize Samsung TecTile programmable NFC tags to automatically change features and settings of Samsung Android™ NFC-enabled devices with a single tap.
“As the clear leader in NFC-enabled smartphone deployment in the United States, Samsung is committed to developing and advancing this promising mobile technology”
Samsung TecTile originally launched alongside the Samsung Galaxy S® III as an introduction to the user-friendly capabilities of NFC beyond mobile payments. With the U.S. launch of the Samsung Galaxy Note® II, TecTile programmable NFC tags and the TecTile 3.0 mobile application can now automate everyday smartphone functions on Samsung’s newest iconic device.
“As the clear leader in NFC-enabled smartphone deployment in the United States, Samsung is committed to developing and advancing this promising mobile technology,” said Kevin Packingham, chief product officer of Samsung Telecommunications America. “Samsung TecTile tags combined with the TecTile 3.0 application simplifies the way consumers interact with their mobile device and greatly enhances the overall user experience.”
With the largest user base of NFC-enabled devices in the United States, Samsung continues to broaden the use of NFC technology for consumers and businesses by continually expanding and evolving the capabilities of the TecTile mobile application.
Enhancements offered with TecTile Version 3.0
Programming Enhancements & Improved Usability
- Program multiple actions to a single TecTile - With one tap, a TecTile can perform a series of actions including turning on Bluetooth®, launching the Navigation app and calling voicemail when entering a car.
- Customize Profiles - Version 3.0 enables users to turn the notion of a static TecTile on its head. Define preloaded Profiles within the app and program a different TecTile tag to launch each Profile - such as “normal,” “office,” “night” and “car” - allowing for easy toggling between Profiles throughout the day. Groups can also take advantage of Profiles. Rather than program a TecTile to evoke the same actions on every smartphone with every tap, Profiles allow one TecTile to perform customized actions for different users when scanned. For example, within the app, each TecTile user in an office can customize their “meeting” Profile to fit their specific preferences, such as automatically setting the phone to vibrate or silent mode, depending on user choice. Then, program one TecTile in a conference room to automatically launch each user’s unique, custom “meeting” Profile upon tapping. Users can also create and add their own custom Profiles based on daily activities, like “workout,” “gaming” or “TV.”
- Store TecTile tag history - Users can now keep a log of all TecTile tags they program for easy reference.
- Create private TecTile tags - Create private TecTile tags that only the owner’s phone can read. TecTile 3.0 will associate the programmer’s email address to all private TecTile tags and will only allow execution of a TecTile command to the programmer’s device.
- Unlock a previously locked TecTile - A TecTile programmer can unlock a previously locked TecTile, or clear a TecTile without having to overwrite with a new command. This is beneficial for both consumers and commercial users who want to extend the value of their TecTile tags while retaining the secure option to lock a TecTile.
Programming Additions & Application Integration:
Samsung has expanded the list of phone settings that TecTile can
change when tapped, including the addition of Airplane mode, more
comprehensive alarm settings and the ability to automatically change a
ringtone. In addition, TecTile 3.0 can now integrate with more
applications to give users a more comprehensive experience.
Specifically, TecTile can now:
- Share or edit an electronic business card, forward a call or send a pre-written email to a specific address
- Toggle between Play/Pause settings on Music Player, or play a specific track
- In addition to integration with LinkedIn®, Facebook® and foursquare®, program a TecTile to update a Google+ status, start a Google Talk conversation, check in on Google Places or on Glympse™ location sharing
Samsung NFC-Enabled Android TM Smartphones
- Samsung Galaxy Note II on AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, US Cellular and Verizon
- Samsung Galaxy S III on AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, US Cellular and Verizon
- Samsung Galaxy Note® on AT&T and T-Mobile
- Samsung Galaxy S® II on T-Mobile
- Galaxy Nexus TM on Verizon, Sprint and GSM Unlocked
- Nexus TM S ® 4G on Sprint
- Nexus TM S® on AT&T and T-Mobile
- Samsung Galaxy S® Blaze® 4G on T-Mobile
- Samsung Galaxy Exhilarate™ on AT&T
- Samsung Galaxy S® Relay™ 4G on T-Mobile
- Samsung Galaxy Victory™ 4G LTE on Sprint
Priced at $14.99 for a pack of five, TecTile programmable NFC sticker tags are available for purchase at Samsung.com and online and in-store at AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile. The Samsung TecTile 3.0 mobile app is available for free in the Google Play™ marketplace.
Samsung TecTile Microsite
For a detailed list of added features and enhancements offered by the TecTile Version 3.0 upgrade, visit http://www.samsung.com/us/microsite/tectile/.
1 Samsung Mobile is the No. 1 mobile phone provider in the United States based upon reported shipment data, according to Strategy Analytics, North America Handset Vendor Marketshare, Q2 2012. Samsung Electronics Company is the No. 1 smartphone provider worldwide based upon reported shipment data, according to Strategy Analytics Global Smartphone Vendor Market Share by Region: Q2 2012.
© Samsung Telecommunications America, LLC. Samsung, Galaxy S, Galaxy Note, and TecTiles are trademarks of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. Android is a trademark of Google Inc. Other company names, product names and marks mentioned herein are property of their respective owners and may be trademarks or registered trademarks.
About Samsung Telecommunications America
Samsung Telecommunications America, LLC, (Samsung Mobile) a Dallas-based subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., researches, develops and markets wireless handsets, wireless infrastructure and other telecommunications products throughout North America. For more information, please visit www.samsung.com.
About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a global leader in semiconductor, telecommunication, digital media and digital convergence technologies with 2011 consolidated sales of US$143.1 billion. Employing approximately 206,000 people in 197 offices across 72 countries, the company operates two separate organizations to coordinate its nine independent business units: Digital Media & Communications, comprising Visual Display, Mobile Communications, Telecommunication Systems, Digital Appliances, IT Solutions, and Digital Imaging; and Device Solutions, consisting of Memory, System LSI and LED. Recognized for its industry-leading performance across a range of economic, environmental and social criteria, Samsung Electronics was named the world’s most sustainable technology company in the 2011 Dow Jones Sustainability Index. For more information, please visit www.samsung.com.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=50452282&lang=en