BROOKLYN, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Home furnishings retailer West Elm, a member of the Williams-Sonoma, Inc. family of brands (NYSE: WSM), announced today the launch of West Elm Market, offering customers a total home toolkit in four key categories: Kitchen, Garden, Care & Repair and Personal Care. The first store, West Elm Market Brooklyn, will open October 25. A true neighborhood destination, the store will include a café and a common area for community workshops. Eight Market shop-in-shops will follow in West Elm stores across the country in Costa Mesa, Dallas, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Nashville, New York City, Seattle and Toronto this November. The collection will launch on westelm.com on October 23.
Tools to Make Work Wonderful
Celebrating the everyday, West Elm Market will focus on functional design, local production, entrepreneurship, and community connections. “We were inspired by the common sense shopkeeping of the classic general store to develop a collection of genuine and useful household goods that make even the most practical chore a little more enjoyable,” said West Elm president Jim Brett. “The Market store is designed to be a place to gather, learn, and connect.”
“West Elm Market is a natural extension of the West Elm brand,” added Laura Alber, President and Chief Executive Officer of Williams-Sonoma, Inc. “We are thrilled to introduce this new assortment of exclusive, expertly curated products in an innovative community store.”
The West Elm Market assortment includes:
- Live plants, herbs, seeds and Brooklyn Blend potting soil from Groundworks Gardens. The company’s founders met at The Horticultural Society of New York and today work with the Brooklyn Botanical Garden.
- West Elm designed brooms and dusters manufactured by New York City Industries for the Blind.
- Brooklyn-based Common Good’s 100% biodegradable and plant-based cleaning products with a West Elm signature sage scent.
- Sam’s Natural handcrafted candles, soaps, and lotions, using ingredients purchased solely from U.S. suppliers.
- Kitchen tools, cookware and an exclusive line of modern enameled cast-iron Dutch ovens and pans.
- A 2.5-quart saucepan from Brooklyn Coppersmiths, where every pot is the work of one coppersmith, one tinsmith and one ironsmith.
- Artisan pantry products chosen to represent the diverse food sheds of the country, with regional collections and themed assortments including “We’re From Brooklyn,” “Southern Comfort,” “Helpful Houseguests” and “Get in the Spirit.”
West Elm Market Brooklyn
Located in D.U.M.B.O., the first Market store will feature a café in collaboration with Philadelphia-based neo-traditional coffee roasters La Colombe Torrefaction and a demonstration kitchen. Events and classes created by West Elm in partnership with Skillshare will be held at a community table in the center of the store. “We chose La Colombe and Skillshare not just because we love their coffee and their classes,” said Brett, “but because their initiatives are strongly connected to our own beliefs about the importance of community.”
West Elm Market Brooklyn will be located at 50 Washington Street in the same building as the brand’s home office and first décor store. Printing entrepreneur Robert Gair, the inventor of the corrugated cardboard box, once owned the former paper box factory. “We wanted our first West Elm Market location to be in our own backyard,” Brett continued. “The building is rich with history, and we are maintaining the original industrial qualities of the space. We are proud to open our first West Elm Market store in a community we call home.” The store will be open 7 a.m. – 9 p.m. Monday – Saturday and 9 a.m. – 7 p.m. on Sunday.
West Elm Market Timeline
- October 23: An assortment of West Elm Market product launches on westelm.com
- October 25: The first West Elm Market store opens in Brooklyn’s D.U.M.B.O neighborhood, just around the corner from the brand’s headquarters and its landmark décor store.
- November 1: West Elm Costa Mesa at South Coast Plaza opens with a Market shop-in-shop.
- November 8: Additional Market shop-in-shops open in West Elm stores in Dallas, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Nashville, New York City, Seattle and Toronto, Canada
About West Elm
West Elm designs clean, simple, affordable products for modern living. Headquartered in Brooklyn, NY, the brand introduced its first catalog in 2002 and opened the doors of its first retail location in 2003. The brand’s complete collection of modern furniture and room décor, including, modern dinnerware, wall shelves, and modern bedding is available in 44 retail stores and around-the-clock at www.westelm.com. West Elm is a member of the Williams-Sonoma, Inc. portfolio of brands.
About Williams-Sonoma, Inc.
Williams-Sonoma, Inc. is a specialty retailer of high-quality products for the home. These products, representing seven distinct merchandise strategies – Williams-Sonoma (cookware and wedding registry), Pottery Barn (furniture and wedding registry), Pottery Barn Kids (kid’s furniture and baby registry), PBteen (girls’ bedding and boys’ bedding), West Elm (modern furniture and room decor), Williams-Sonoma Home (luxury furniture and decorative accessories) and Rejuvenation (lighting and hardware) – are marketed through 579 stores, seven direct mail catalogs and six e-commerce websites. Williams-Sonoma, Inc. currently operates in the United States and Canada, offers international shipping to customers worldwide, and franchises its brands throughout the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and the United Arab Emirates.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=50450221&lang=en