NEW YORK--()--MakerBot® Industries introduces the MakerBot® Replicator™ 2 Desktop 3D Printer, the company’s easiest, fastest, and most affordable tool yet for making professional-quality models. Designed for the desktop of an engineer, researcher, creative professional, or anyone who loves to make things, the MakerBot Replicator 2 features 100-micron layer resolution, setting a new standard in professional looking models and true-to-life replicas. In addition, the MakerBot Replicator 2 enables users to make big objects, up to 410 cubic inches in volume (11.2” L x 6.0” W x 6.1” H).
“With our fourth generation product, we have made the best desktop 3D printer on the market, made it affordable to both professionals and hobbyists, and made it cool looking.”
“The new MakerBot Replicator 2 Desktop 3D Printer, which is featured on the cover of the October 2012 issue of Wired, sets a new standard in resolution, build volume, and professional quality in the desktop 3D printer market,” said Bre Pettis, CEO of MakerBot. “With our fourth generation product, we have made the best desktop 3D printer on the market, made it affordable to both professionals and hobbyists, and made it cool looking.”
Pettis also announced other exciting breakthrough developments for MakerBot, including a total software update that enables faster and more consistent printing; an additional new product launch of the MakerBot® Replicator™ 2X Experimental 3D Printer for experienced users; and the company’s first retail location, which opened simultaneously with the launch of the new products in the NoHo neighborhood of Manhattan at 298 Mulberry Street in New York.
WHAT’S NEW WITH THE MAKERBOT REPLICATOR 2 DESKTOP 3D PRINTER
- The 100-micron layer resolution setting on the MakerBot Replicator 2 Desktop 3D Printer means professional-looking prototypes and objects with less effort.
- A build volume of 410 cubic inches (11.2” L x 6.0” W x 6.1” H) gives the MakerBot Operator much more space than before to make multi-part projects and big models.
- The MakerBot Replicator 2 Desktop 3D Printer is designed with the renewable bioplastic PLA in mind. PLA is the most popular build material in 3D printing because of its strength and ability to make very large prints without cracking or warping.
MAKERWARE: THE ALL NEW WAY TO DRIVE THE REPLICATOR 2
- MakerBot’s new slicing engine is up to 20 times faster than the previous technology. What’s more, the software is smarter and more efficient, which results in faster and more consistent models.
- MakerBot MakerWare lets the MakerBot Replicator 2 Desktop 3D Printer make multiple models at one time. Combined with the huge 410 cubic inch build volume, it’s easier than ever to get more done, faster.
- MakerBot MakerWare makes it intuitive to move, rotate, and scale models. When it comes time to choose print settings, MakerBot MakerWare simplifies the process while still leaving the control in the user’s hands.
The MakerBot Replicator 2 Desktop 3D Printer also has a new sleek and streamlined look, and according to Pettis, “is available in any color, as long as it is black.” The MakerBot Replicator 2 Desktop 3D Printer is priced at $2,199 and available through www.makerbot.com/store.
MakerBot: The New Standard In Desktop 3D Printing
Founded in 2009, Brooklyn-based MakerBot® (www.makerbot.com) has grown to be a global leader in desktop 3D printing. There are over 13,000 MakerBot Desktop 3D Printers in use by engineers, designers, researchers, and people who just like to make things. The first generation MakerBot Replicator Desktop 3D Printer was named “Best Emerging Tech” at the 2012 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. The company has been featured in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, the Economist, Wired, The Colbert Report, Fast Company, Engadget, Make: Magazine, Rolling Stone, Time.com, IEEE Spectrum, CNN, Financial Times, NPR, Vogue Italia and many others.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=50413983&lang=en