LAKEWOOD, Colo.--(Plasma Exchange Innovation Award. The award is part of a program that gives one or more grants, up to $100,000, to fund innovative science and research initiatives that will generate greater understanding of the use of plasma exchange, or plasmapheresis.)--Terumo BCT is pleased to announce that Eduardo De Sousa, M.D., of the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, has been named the recipient of the inaugural 2012
“Effects of Plasma Exchange in Neuropathic Pain Relief, Cutaneos Cytokine Profile and Autonomic Nerve Function in Patients with Painful Peripheral Neuropathies.”
Plasma Exchange Innovation Award is intended to encourage the
investigation of novel scientific ideas, best practices and standards
that have the potential to substantially advance the understanding and
the use of plasma exchange.
- All decisions on funding are made by the Terumo BCT Grant Committee, which comprises Terumo BCT leadership as well as independent medical experts.
- A Call for Expressions of Interest for the 2013 Plasma Exchange Innovation Award will be made in Spring 2013.
- Dr. De Sousa, the lead author of the grant proposal, will receive $100,000 to fund his approved research proposal.
- Dr. De Sousa and co-investigator Dr. Joon-Shik Moon, both of whom are assistant professors of neurology at University of Oklahoma, won the grant for their submission of a project titled, “Effects of Plasma Exchange in Neuropathic Pain Relief, Cutaneos Cytokine Profile and Autonomic Nerve Function in Patients with Painful Peripheral Neuropathies.”
- The study will test whether plasma exchange is an appropriate treatment for patients with severe pain due to neuropathies.
- Peripheral neuropathies represent the damage to nerves that occurs from local or systemic diseases, most commonly from diabetes.
- Dr. De Sousa will publish the research results at the conclusion of the trial.
Eric Buenz, Ph.D., Director, Terumo BCT Medical Affairs
“Cutting-edge research is the cornerstone of this award, and Dr. De Sousa’s innovative proposal will clearly advance the use of plasma exchange within the neurology community, and hopefully touch the lives of the patients we all serve. Terumo BCT and the Medical Affairs team are thrilled to support research that shows such great potential for improvements in clinical practice and patient outcomes.”
Eduardo De Sousa, M.D., Assistant Professor of Neurology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
“I am deeply honored to accept the first Plasma Exchange Innovation Award, along with Dr. Moon, to help identify new ways to help patients with neuropathy and neuropathic pain. These patients, who often respond poorly to pain medications, deserve a safe and effective treatment to reduce their discomfort and realize a higher quality of life.”
About Terumo BCT:
Terumo BCT, a global leader in blood component, therapeutic apheresis and cellular technologies, is the only company with the unique combination of apheresis collections, manual and automated whole blood processing, and pathogen reduction coupled with leading technologies in therapeutic apheresis and cell processing. We believe in the potential of blood to do even more for patients than it does today. This belief inspires our innovation and strengthens our collaboration with customers.