GLENDALE, Calif.--()--IHOP®, America’s favorite breakfast place, today announced a new partnership with The Quaker Oats Company resulting in the creation of a proprietary blend of oatmeal, and the first jointly developed breakfast item between the two iconic brands. This partnership also marks the first time The Quaker Oats Company has ever partnered to create a branded item specifically for the Family Dining restaurant segment. IHOP’s new oatmeal blends three different types of oats to offer unique flavors and textures.
“By bringing together two beloved food brands, we have created an exciting product that is full of flavor and nutrition.”
Beginning this week, IHOP will add a choice of oatmeal varieties made with Quaker® Oats, including Super Fruit & Nut Oatmeal, Super Fruit Oatmeal, and Banana & Brown Sugar Oatmeal to their menu. Two of the new varieties feature so called “super fruits,” which, besides being deliciously flavorful, are known to exhibit superb nutrient richness.
“We are excited about our new association with The Quaker Oats Company,” said Natalia Franco, IHOP’s senior vice president, marketing. “By bringing together two beloved food brands, we have created an exciting product that is full of flavor and nutrition.” Franco continued, “IHOP has something to satisfy every taste and diet, and we are committed to continually introducing new, delicious low-calorie and smart options to the menu.”
“Partnering with IHOP, a brand that gets as excited about breakfast as we do, is a natural fit for Quaker,” said Kristina Mangelsdorf, Chief Marketing Officer, PepsiCo Food Service. “For more than 130 years Quaker has been nourishing healthy families with delicious, whole grain foods and we’re excited to continue to innovate and expand the ways in which we serve oatmeal lovers.”
“We were delighted to work with Quaker to formulate an oatmeal blend that is hearty, creamy, toasty and uniquely IHOP that meets both our high standards for breakfast foods,” said David Shaw, executive chef, marketing, IHOP. “These new oatmeals, along with our new whole wheat menu items, demonstrate IHOP’s commitment to continually introducing new, delicious low-calorie and smart dining options and we think these new additions will become customer favorites.”
To help promote IHOP’s new oatmeal, starting in October, the brand will launch a fun, interactive, socially engaging Facebook app that will live on both the IHOP and Quaker Oats Facebook pages. Fans will be invited to make their own Oatmeal creation, snap a photo and caption their creation (for example, using Super Fruit to create an Oatmeal face) and submit it to either IHOP’s or Quaker Oats’ Facebook page for a chance to win IHOP gift cards.
Also new this fall, IHOP announced plans to expand its under-600-calorie SIMPLE & FIT menu and other more wholesome menu offerings. New SIMPLE & FIT additions will include:
- Super Fruit Oatmeal – A bowl of freshly-made Quaker Oats, lightly sweetened with cinnamon sugar, and topped with a blend of five dried super fruits, including blueberries, cherries, cranberries, raisins and golden raisins. (290 Calories*)
- Super Fruit Oatmeal with Almonds and Walnuts – A bowl of freshly-made Quaker Oats, lightly sweetened with cinnamon sugar, and topped with almonds, walnuts and a blend of five dried super fruits, including blueberries, cherries, cranberries, raisins and golden raisins. (330 calories*)
- Banana and Brown Sugar Oatmeal – A bowl of freshly made Quaker Oats topped with fresh banana slices and served with brown sugar and milk. (260 calories*)
- Whole Wheat Pancakes Combo – Two Whole Wheat Pancakes topped with lightly sweetened blueberries and powdered sugar served with egg substitute and two strips of turkey bacon. (460 calories*)
- Kid’s Whole Wheat Pancake Combo – One Whole Wheat Pancake topped with lightly sweetened blueberries and powdered sugar served with egg substitute and one strip of turkey bacon. (260 calories*)
- Whole Wheat Waffle Combo – A Whole Wheat Waffle topped with lightly sweetened blueberries and powdered sugar served with egg substitute and two strips of turkey bacon (510 calories*)
- Whole Wheat Crepe – One Whole Wheat Crepe filled with sweet cream cheese and topped with lightly sweetened blueberries and powdered sugar.(380 calories*)
IHOP has been expanding its smarter options continually for more than seven years. The company launched its SIMPLE & FIT (under 600 calorie) menu selections in 2010, before the U.S. government mandated menu-labeling1. IHOP’s menus offer tips on how to enjoy lower calorie versions of IHOP classics and detailed nutritional information is available at www.ihop.com.
The new Quaker Oatmeal varieties hit the IHOP menu just in time for Whole Grains Month. A growing body of science has linked whole grain oats to a variety of benefits from heart health to digestive health. In addition, oats can help address the whole grain deficit in the American diet. The 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend at least half of the grains consumed are whole grains, but many people are still not eating enough each day. For more information about Quaker and the benefits of eating oats, visit www.quakeroats.com.
* Variations in ingredients and preparation, as well as substitutions, will increase or decrease stated calories. Stated calories are approximate. Caloric values obtained by laboratory testing may be different.
1 Nation’s Restaurant News, “IHOP debuts new ‘Simple & Fit’ menu,” October 11, 2010.
For 54 years, IHOP has been the leader and expert in all things breakfast and the #1 leader in family dining. The chain is without competition in its menu offering, serving 65 different signature, made-from-scratch breakfast options as well as a range of healthy, under-600 calorie meals. Beyond offering “everything you love about breakfast,” IHOP also has a wide selection of popular lunch and dinner items as well. IHOP offers its guests an affordable, everyday dining experience with warm and friendly service. As of June 30, 2012, there were 1,557 IHOPs in 50 states and the District of Columbia, as well as in Canada, Guatemala, Mexico, Puerto Rico, the United Arab Emirates, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Under the licensed name IHOP at HOME® consumers can also enjoy a line of premium breakfast products available at leading retailers. IHOP restaurants are franchised and operated by Glendale, Calif.-based International House of Pancakes, LLC and its affiliates. International House of Pancakes, LLC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of DineEquity, Inc. (NYSE: DIN). For more information, please visit www.IHOP.com and on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter.
About The Quaker Oats Company
The Quaker Oats Company, headquartered in Chicago, is a unit of PepsiCo, Inc., one of the world's largest consumer packaged goods companies. For more than 130 years, Quaker's brands have served as symbols of quality, great taste and nutrition. Holding No. 1 positions in their respective categories, Quaker Oats, Quaker Rice Cakes and Quaker Chewy Granola Bars are consumer favorites. For more information, please visit www.QuakerOats.com, www.Facebook.com/Quaker or follow us on Twitter @Quaker.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=50400175&lang=en