BERLIN--()--TomTom previews its new navigation application for Android at IFA today. TomTom navigation, map and traffic technologies will be incorporated into the new app.
“Bringing TomTom navigation to Android smartphones is, therefore, a significant milestone for us.”
TomTom’s on-board maps, IQ Routes and HD Traffic will give Android users the freshest map, the fastest routes and the most accurate arrival times. The application is set for release in October 2012.
“We aim to make TomTom content and services available to as many devices and platforms as we can,” says Corinne Vigreux, Managing Director at TomTom. “Bringing TomTom navigation to Android smartphones is, therefore, a significant milestone for us.”
This announcement follows the recent release of the TomTom Hands-free Car Kit for Smartphones. The kit allows users to charge their phone and mount it in clear view. An in-built speaker then delivers the highest quality audio for loud and clear navigation instructions and calls.
More details, pricing and availability will be announced closer to the launch date.
--- ENDS ---
Notes for editors
Interviews are offered at IFA by Gerard Hinds, VP Mobile at TomTom.
The TomTom Navigation app for Android will offer drivers:
- World-class navigation - The latest, most accurate TomTom maps available – with no need for a mobile signal or data plan.
- Lifetime maps – Free updates that ensure access to the latest maps and fastest routes.
- IQ Routes - Arrival times that drivers can rely on – at all times of day.
- Advanced lane guidance – Gives drivers extra clarity when navigating difficult junctions.
- Spoken street names – Makes turnings even clearer.
- 2D / 3D driving view – The clearest display for the safest driving.
- TomTom HD Traffic – Available as an in-app purchase. It’s the quickest way through traffic. Proven.
- TomTom Speed Cameras – Available as an in-app purchase. Save money and drive safely with real-time mobile and fixed camera alerts.
Founded in 1991, TomTom (AEX:TOM2) is the world’s leading supplier of in-car location and navigation products and services focused on providing all drivers with the world’s best navigation experience. Headquartered in Amsterdam, TomTom has over 3,500 employees and sells its products in over 40 countries.
Our products include portable navigation devices, in-dash infotainment systems, fleet management solutions, maps and real-time services, including the award winning TomTom HD Traffic.
For the world’s most up-to-date route planner, including live traffic information go to www.tomtom.com/livetraffic