AZUSA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Ushering in a new era in the way that homeowners manage their water use in the lawn and garden, Rain Bird’s revolutionary Simple-to-Set (SST) Smart Controller has been awarded the highly-coveted WaterSense label by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in recognition of the controller’s demonstrated water savings in the lawn and garden.
Utilizing proprietary technology that is similar to that found in Rain Bird’s professional-grade automatic self-adjusting, weather sensing smart irrigation controllers, Rain Bird’s SST Smart Irrigation Controller achieves maximum water-efficiency by setting zone-by-zone watering schedules tailored to individual landscape’s unique watering needs, and automatically adjusts watering based on changing weather conditions.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s WaterSense program seeks to help consumers make smart water choices that save money and maintain high environmental standards without compromising performance. Products that have earned the WaterSense Label have been certified to be at least 20 percent more water efficient without sacrificing performance, according to the EPA.
“The way in which residential lawns and gardens are watered has changed dramatically over the past decade, as homeowners are not only more aware of the need to use water more intelligently in the lawn and garden, but are now being given access to the tools and technology previously only available to landscape professionals,” said Lisa Malloy, director of Rain Bird’s Consumer Products division. “Just in time for the warm summer season, we are excited to be able to provide this innovative, easy-to-use irrigation controller directly to homeowners at retail stores.”
Designed to be easily installed and operated by homeowners, the weather-sensing SST Smart Controller delivers a powerful new set of water-saving features designed for usability, maximum versatility and efficient watering even in the face of nature’s harshest elements:
- Water Saving Self-Adjusting Weather Sensing Technology – A weather sensor works with a smart controller to monitor temperature and rainfall and adjusts watering schedules accordingly. The controller uses a built-in database of weather information for the homeowner’s specific geographic area to adjust watering needs all year long.
- Water Saving Companion CD for Easy Calculation – Homeowners no longer need to guess watering schedules; the SST Smart Controllers’ companion CD can determine the time, duration and frequency for each watering zone, taking into consideration plant types and soil conditions.
- Water Saving Zone-by-Zone Watering – Other controllers waste water by requiring two or more zones to be on the same watering schedule. The SST Smart Controller enables users to program each landscape zone, which accommodates the different flow rates of each sprinkler type and the different needs of plants.
- No Need for Instructions – So simple to use, users can forget the instructions. Simple-to-Set means that users don’t have to rely on a complex manual for programming. Available in English, step-by-step instructions, program settings, and even built-in troubleshooting on the display screen guide the user. Intuitive buttons guide the user in programming the settings, and clearly labeled dial settings, such as rain delay command and one-touch manual watering, help the user manually control their system without disrupting automatic settings.
- Water Saving Rugged Design – Tested to withstand extreme temperatures, humidity, dirt and insects, the SST Smart Controller is engineered to withstand the toughest conditions. The controller’s superior surge protection also guards against damage from nearby lightning strikes or power outages. All settings are stored on the controller’s memory in the event of a power outage, so no reprogramming and no backup batteries are needed.
The WaterSense Certified SST Smart Controller with weather sensor is designed to be used with an automatic irrigation system and has a suggested retail price of $159.99 for a 6-valve model and $169.99 for a 12-valve model. The controllers are available in select Lowe’s and home improvement/hardware stores.
More information on the SST Smart Controller is available by visiting, RainBird.com/homeowner/products/timers/SSTsmart.htm.
ABOUT RAIN BIRD CORPORATION
Headquartered in Azusa, Calif., Rain Bird Corporation is the world’s leading manufacturer and provider of irrigation products and services. From simple beginnings in 1933, Rain Bird now offers the industry's broadest range of irrigation products for farms, golf courses, sports arenas, commercial developments and homes, available in more than 130 countries. Rain Bird has been awarded hundreds of patents, including the first in 1935 for the impact sprinkler. Rain Bird’s philosophy called The Intelligent Use of Water ® is about using water wisely. Its commitment extends beyond products to education, training and services for the industry and the community. Rain Bird maintains state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities around the world. www.rainbird.com
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=50325753&lang=en