CALGARY, Alberta--()--Encana Corporation (TSX, NYSE: ECA) today released its annual Corporate Responsibility Report, providing a detailed review of the company’s environmental, social and governance performance for 2011. The report profiles the company’s efforts to achieve its corporate responsibility goals as an operator, employer and partner of choice.
“Our 2011 report is built around the theme of ‘Certainty Through Collaboration’ and demonstrates how, through internal and external collaboration, we are meeting our corporate responsibility goals and helping to create value for our shareholders”
Highlights from Encana’s 2011 report include:
- Continuous commitment to strong corporate governance practices and a premier environment, health and safety culture. In 2011, Encana trained over 76 percent of its employees on the company’s environment, health and safety (EH&S) management system and implemented a 10-year EH&S audit program, overseen by its Board of Directors.
- Ongoing improvement in workplace safety. The company’s total recordable injury frequency for the year was 0.64, compared with 0.68 in 2010.
- The implementation of a company-wide program to safely manage chemical products used in Encana’s hydraulic fracturing operations. Developed in conjunction with third-party toxicologists, Encana’s Responsible Products Program assesses the additives used in hydraulic fracturing operations for their potential impact to human health or the environment.
- Significant accomplishments in land management and reclamation, including a 30 percent increase in the number of reclamation certificates year-over-year. Overall, Encana reclaimed 424 acres of land in 2011 – up from 298 in 2010.
- Continued investment in technology that creates measurable reductions in air emissions or energy, land or fresh water use. Through investments made by Encana’s Environmental Innovation Fund, the company was able to avoid 630,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions and conserve up to 5.2 billion cubic feet of natural gas in 2011.
“Our 2011 report is built around the theme of ‘Certainty Through Collaboration’ and demonstrates how, through internal and external collaboration, we are meeting our corporate responsibility goals and helping to create value for our shareholders,” said Bob Grant, Executive Vice-President, Corporate Development, EH&S and Reserves. “This year’s report highlights significant achievements for Encana and underscores the importance we place on strong corporate governance and responsible development.”
For more information on the company’s 2011 corporate responsibility performance, visit www.encana.com/cr2011. The report also features a video interview with Bob Grant on the role of strong corporate governance in Encana’s operations. Detailed performance metrics are also included, along with two comprehensive case studies outlining the company’s region-specific approach to responsible development.
Encana is a leading North American energy producer focused on pursuing the highest returns from its significant portfolio of natural gas, oil and natural gas liquids. Recognized for its expertise in resource play development, Encana is a disciplined, innovative company committed to responsible development. Its common shares trade on the Toronto and New York stock exchanges under the symbol ECA.
Further information on Encana Corporation is available on the company's website, www.encana.com.