MINNEAPOLIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) surpassed $12.4 billion in assets in almost 6.8 million accounts by year-end 2011 according to a survey and resulting research report conducted by Devenir, an investment firm that specializes in providing investment options for HSAs.
The survey data was collected in January, 2012 and primarily consisted of the top 50 HSA providers in the health savings account market, with all data being collected for the December 31st, 2011 period. “We continue to see strong growth in the HSA marketplace as well as steady increases in average balances,” says Eric Remjeske President and Co-Founder of Devenir.
Key findings from the Devenir December 2011 survey and research report:
- Steady growth. HSAs continue to see consistent growth as the total number of HSA accounts rose to almost 6.8 million with assets totaling $12.4 billion, a year over year increase of almost 20% for accounts and a 26% increase in assets for the period from December 31st, 2010 to December 31st, 2011.
- Average account balance at the end of 2011 grew to $1,841 from $1,751 at the end 2010, a 5.1% increase. When you eliminate identified zero balance accounts that average rises to $2,179.
- Existing accounts average balances have grown at an average of 31% each year from the year they were opened since 2005.
- Contributions and Withdrawals industry wide carried forward 24% of their contributions over the past year into 2012.
- HSA investment dollars continue to grow. HSA investment assets reached an estimated $960 million in December, a 34% year over year increase and are projected to reach $4.7 billion by the end of 2015.
“With the data suggesting that the average HSA balance continues to grow steadily the longer the account has been opened, HSAs are demonstrating that they are serving their purpose and helping consumers save for future healthcare expenses,” according to Jon Robb, Lead Research Associate with Devenir. Devenir projects the HSA market to reach $27.6 billion in assets by the end of 20151. Devenir also projects that HSA investment dollars will continue to grow quickly as health savings account user’s balances become larger, representing 17% of all HSA assets by the end of 2015.
Estimates are derived from the Year-End 2011 Devenir HSA survey, press release and, previous market research.
1 Projections are barring any dramatic regulatory or market environment changes.
Forward-looking statements are based on current expectations and assumptions based on historical growth, the economy, other future conditions and forecasts of future events, circumstances and results.
Devenir, a full-service broker dealer and registered investment advisor based in Minneapolis, is a national leader in providing customized investment solutions to the HSA Custodian marketplace. As an HSA industry leading investment firm, Devenir offers a host of investment options to suit the unique needs of employers, banks, third party administrators and plan participants. www.devenir.com