NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS), the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products, continues to enhance its critically acclaimed NOOK Color with the largest-ever software update to the device now available at no cost (www.nookcolor.com/update), adding over 100 feature enhancements, access to top video and music services, popular apps, comics and more. With new tablet features and access to the best names in entertainment, the first-ever Reader’s Tablet™ is now even better at the incredibly low price of $199. Customers can enjoy popular movies and TV shows through leading services like Netflix and Flixster, with others coming soon. The update also brings faster, easier access to the world’s largest digital catalog of color and interactive books, magazines, children’s books, high-quality apps, and now comics and graphic novels.
The perfect holiday gift for those who love to experience all types of content in rich, beautiful color on the world’s most advanced VividView™ display, NOOK Color is available for new customers to purchase immediately in NOOK Digital Shops™ at their neighborhood Barnes & Noble stores, www.nookcolor.com and other leading retailers. Today only, customers who purchase any new $199 NOOK Color online with a MasterCard will receive a free $25 Barnes & Noble Gift Card, along with free shipping. This offer also applies to the #1-rated $99 NOOK Simple Touch™, and the all-new $249 NOOK Tablet™, the company’s fastest, lightest tablet with the best entertainment displayed in stunning VividView. Additional details are available at www.nook.com.
“Building upon our award-winning reading experience and vast digital content catalog, we are excited to offer our largest NOOK Color software update ever that will bring access to movies, TV shows, hundreds of new apps, comics, graphic novels and more to our time-tested, critically acclaimed Reader’s Tablet,” said William Lynch, Chief Executive Officer of Barnes & Noble. “This innovative product continues to receive high acclaim as an Editor’s Choice and is ranked among the most highly rated eReaders by many leading technology reviewers. At the incredibly low price of $199, customers can discover all types of interactive content specifically designed for the stunning, 7-inch display, in addition to staying connected through email and the web. We encourage customers to stop by their local Barnes & Noble this holiday season to learn about the whole portfolio of NOOK devices and receive free support from one of our highly-trained NOOKsellers.”
More High-Quality NOOK Apps™, Including Top Entertainment Services
Adding to the growing collection of high-quality NOOK Apps, children’s apps, games and more, NOOK Color customers can download Netflix to watch movies and TV shows, and Flixster which, through the UltraViolet™ standard, will allow consumers to access their digital movies and TV shows on the go. Coming soon, more leading services will be available. NOOK Color owners can also listen to millions of songs using the hottest music services, including Pandora, Rhapsody®, Grooveshark and MOG, all available with a free 14-day trial. In addition, NOOK Color owners can listen to their own songs wherever they go with the built-in music player. From music to movies and more, all NOOK Apps are the highest-quality versions available, optimized for NOOK Color’s beautiful and ultra-responsive 7-inch VividView display to ensure a stunning and seamless user experience.
The NOOK App library continues to grow with hundreds of new titles added each week to bring all the top requested and most popular apps to both NOOK Color and NOOK Tablet. Exciting new NOOK App additions include games published by Chillingo such as Roll in the Hole and Spider Jack, I Can Read, Cozi Family Organizer, Audobon Insects, Pat the Bunny, and more. Enjoy fun new holiday-themed apps including How the Grinch Stole Christmas!, The Berenstain Bears' Christmas Tree, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, and Tacky's Christmas – all with a special reduced pricing promotion for the holidays. Also, find All I Want from Santa, Emma In: A Sweet Christmas plus an extensive lineup of holiday-centric live wallpapers, themes and much more.
Barnes & Noble’s Vast Collection of Interactive Content at Your Fingertips
NOOK Color customers can shop the world’s largest bookstore, featuring more than 2.5 million books, enhanced books, interactive magazines, newspapers, children’s books, and now comics and graphic novels. Highlights include:
- NOOK Newsstand™: Choose from more than 300 newspapers and full-color, interactive magazines, delivered instantly to the device. Barnes & Noble offers the largest digital collection of top 100 magazines for subscription or single issue purchase – all available for a risk-free, 14-day free trial – including bestsellers PEOPLE, Food Network Magazine, Us Weekly, SPORTS ILLUSTRATED, TIME, National Geographic and many others. Most interactive magazines offer Barnes & Noble's ArticleView™, new animated and lightning fast page turns, smooth pinch, zoom and panning. Many special edition NOOK Magazines™ feature videos, animation, image galleries and more. Newly added publications include People StyleWatch, Southern Living, SmartMoney, Official Xbox Magazine, WIRED, SELF and TransWorld Skateboarding with more titles being added each week.
- New NOOK Comics™: NOOK Color customers can now access a large collection of full-color comics, graphic novels and kids’ comics in high resolution that allow readers to pinch, zoom and discover this content like never before. NOOK Comics features the largest digital collection of Marvel’s graphic novels available through a third party – including Halo Uprising and other Marvel greats like Ultimate Spider-Man, The Astonishing X-Men, and Hulk: Planet Hulk, among others. NOOK Color customers can also enjoy titles from other leading publishers, including Archie – with series starring the redheaded star, plus pals Jughead and Betty & Veronica– IDW and Dynamite.
- NOOK Kids™: With an incredible collection of more than 1,000 interactive children’s picture books and more than 12,000 chapter books, NOOK Color offers the world’s largest digital selection with hundreds of titles offering enhanced Read to Me and Read to Play functionality, so children and parents can interact with built-in narration and engaging in-page animation and activities. Newly added popular titles for the holidays include A Charlie Brown Christmas and Elf on the Shelf, both only on NOOK with engaging narrations and entertaining activities built right in to the stories, plus an exclusive edition of Sandra Boynton’s Christmas Parade, narrated by the author. Beginning readers can also enjoy new I Can Read series titles, plus Judy Blume’s popular Fudge series including Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and many more through the expanded chapter book collection.
- NOOK Books™: Barnes & Noble continues to expand its NOOK Bookstore™ with the vast majority of books available for $9.99 or less. New PagePerfect™ NOOK Books™ feature cookbooks, craft and art books rendered with rich precision to retain all the beauty of their stunning print versions. Customers can also enjoy new titles including 11/22/63 from Stephen King and Happy Accidents by Jane Lynch, or bestsellers including Explosive Eighteen by Janet Evanovich, Paula Deen’s Southern Cooking Bible, Inheritance by Christopher Paolini, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson and many more.
Enhanced Reading Experience Makes it Easier than Ever to Find New Great Content
NOOK Color customers can now explore new reading experiences and Shop enhancements that make it easier than ever to find great books, children’s content, magazines, newspapers and apps. Simply tap to open the redesigned NOOK Store to find a clean, customized interface and great social features that showcase the vast amount of content available. Explore customized reading features to enjoy all your favorite content like never before.
- Customized reading: In response to customer feedback, NOOK Color now offers the flexibility to read books in portrait or landscape mode and to adjust the text with even more font sizes to choose from. And now reading is even more interactive with PDF thumbnail page views, and image pinch, zoom and pan in books and PDFs.
Unparalleled reviews and recommendations: Learn what to read
next from Barnes & Noble’s knowledgeable booksellers, from
new releases to up-and-coming authors. Barnes & Noble’s personalized
NOOK Recommendations™ suggest titles by customer’s favorite
authors in many different categories – helping them find selections in
all subjects, from the most popular to hidden gems. In any book a
customer is reading, a simple tap on the new NOOK Discover™
icon offers instant recommendations. Customers can also find new
- NOOK Daily Find – Discover a new read every day at an amazing price.
- NOOK First – Exclusive content for NOOK owners from leading authors.
- NOOK Snaps – Bite-size reads for “snackable” content on the go.
- NOOK Spotlight – Twice a month, Barnes & Noble features great books at a great price.
- New Release Tuesday – The weekly scoop on the bestsellers and the newest releases.
- Get more social: With NOOK Color, customers can connect with Facebook friends and others through NOOK Friends™, and find out what they have to say about their books, magazines and newspapers. Customers can also share their thoughts about the books they’re reading via email, Facebook and Twitter. Owners can share books, as well as browse and borrow books, from NOOK Friends using Barnes & Noble’s exclusive LendMe® technology.
- Continuous reading: Read what you love, anywhere you like™ on NOOK devices and with free NOOK Reading Apps. NOOK Cloud™ automatically syncs a customer’s library, last page read, bookmarks, notes, and highlights across all of their devices, so a customer can start a book on NOOK Color, and pick right back up where they left off on their computer or smartphone.
Discover Instant NOOK Book Gifting
With tablets high on everyone’s gift list this year, Barnes & Noble makes it easier for customers to give the gift of reading with instant NOOK Book gifting. Now, customers can visit www.bn.com to give any NOOK Book or NOOK App as gifts. Books and apps are delivered instantly to recipients on their NOOK Color or NOOK Tablet device. In addition, NOOK Tablet and NOOK Color customers will also be able to apply their Barnes & Noble gift cards – physical or digital – while shopping on their devices.
NOOK Color v1.4 Update Now Available
Current and future NOOK Color customers can experience all of the great new features in v1.4 immediately at no cost via manual download available at www.nookcolor.com/update. A free over-the-air (OTA) update requiring no action from customers will begin rolling out to customers via Wi-Fi next week. Experience the new NOOK Apps and other exciting new features at the NOOK Digital Shop™ or display in one of Barnes & Noble’s more than 700 bookstores across the country or by visiting www.nookcolor.com. NOOK Color, along with other NOOK devices, can also be found at Best Buy, Walmart, Staples, Target, Radio Shack, Books-A-Million, OfficeMax, Fred Meyer, P.C. Richard & Son stores, Fry’s Electronics and Systemax Inc. retailers.
About NOOK® from Barnes & Noble
Barnes & Noble's NOOK brand of eReading products makes it easy to read what you love, anywhere you like™ with a fun, easy-to-use and immersive digital reading experience. With NOOK, customers gain access to Barnes & Noble's expansive NOOK Store™ of more than 2.5 million digital titles, and the ability to enjoy content across a wide array of popular devices. The new NOOK Tablet™ is Barnes & Noble’s fastest, lightest tablet with the best in HD entertainment from top services and everything you want in a tablet at a great value ($249). Both NOOK Tablet and the award-winning NOOK Color™ ($199) feature a stunning 7-inch VividView™ Color Touchscreen to read all of the content you love, shop popular apps, connect via email, browse the Web and more. The NOOK Simple Touch™ ($99), is the fastest, easiest to use reader with the world’s best reading screen and the longest battery life. Barnes & Noble offers NOOK owners Always Free NOOK Support in any of its more than 700 bookstores, as well as free Wi-Fi® connectivity to enjoy the Read In Store™ feature to read NOOK Books™ for free, and the More In Store™ program, which offers free, exclusive content and special promotions. Barnes & Noble was the first company to offer digital lending for a wide selection of books through its LendMe® technology, available through NOOK eReading products. Find NOOK devices in Barnes & Noble stores and online at www.BN.com, as well as at Best Buy, Walmart, Staples, Target, Radio Shack, Books-A-Million, OfficeMax, Fred Meyer, P.C. Richard & Son stores, Fry’s Electronics and Systemax Inc. retailers.
In addition to NOOK devices, Barnes & Noble makes it easy for customers to enjoy any book, anytime, anywhere with its FREE NOOK Reading Apps™, available at www.nook.com/freenookapps. Customers can use Barnes & Noble's free eReading software to access and read books from their personal Barnes & Noble digital library on devices including iPad™, iPhone®, iPod touch®, Android™ smartphones and tablets, PC and Mac®. Lifetime Library™ helps ensure that Barnes & Noble customers will always be able to access their digital libraries on NOOK products and software-enabled devices and BN.com. Barnes & Noble also offers NOOK Study™ (www.nookstudy.com), an innovative study platform and software solution for higher education, NOOK Kids™ (www.nookkids.com), a collection of digital picture and chapter books for children, and NOOK Books en español™ (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooksenespanol), the first-ever Spanish language digital bookstore in the United States.
About Barnes & Noble, Inc.
Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE:BKS), the world's largest bookseller and a Fortune 500 company, operates 703 bookstores in 50 states. Barnes & Noble College Booksellers, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Barnes & Noble, also operates 637 college bookstores serving over 4.6 million students and faculty members at colleges and universities across the United States. Barnes & Noble conducts its online business through BN.com (www.bn.com), one of the Web's largest e-commerce sites, which also features more than two million titles in its NOOK Bookstore™ (www.bn.com/ebooks). Through Barnes & Noble’s NOOK™ eReading product offering, customers can buy and read digital books and content on the widest range of platforms, including NOOK devices, partner company products, and the most popular mobile and computing devices using free NOOK software.
General information on Barnes & Noble, Inc. can be obtained via the Internet by visiting the company's corporate website: www.barnesandnobleinc.com.
NOOK®, NOOK Tablet™, NOOK Simple Touch ™, NOOK 1st Edition™, NOOK 1st Edition Wi-Fi™, NOOK Color™, Reader’s Tablet™, PagePerfect™, Best-Text™, Fast Page™, NOOK Books™, NOOK Store™, NOOK Bookstore™, NOOK Newsstand™, NOOK Magazines™, VividView™, ArticleView™, NOOK Newspapers™, NOOK Comics™, NOOK Cloud™, NOOK Apps™, FREE NOOK Reading Apps™, PubIt!™, NOOK Discover™, NOOK Kids™, Read and Play™, Read to Me™, Read and Record™, NOOK Digital Shop™, Read In Store™, More In Store™, NOOK Friends™, LendMe®, NOOK Library™, NOOK Boutiques™, The Barnes & Noble Promise™, NOOK Books en español™, NOOK Study™, Free Friday™, Lifetime Library™ and Read What You Love. Anywhere You Like™ are trademarks of Barnes & Noble, Inc. PEOPLE, TIME and SPORTS ILLUSTRATED are trademarks of Time, Inc., registered in the U.S. and in other countries. Other trademarks referenced in this release are the property of their respective owners.