NEW YORK--()--To celebrate Business Wire’s 50th Anniversary, college students were invited to ponder “What is the Future of Public Relations and Communications?” by submitting three-minute videos that answered the question.
“What is the Future of Public Relations and Communications?”
Today, Business Wire announced the ten finalists and posted the videos on Business Wire’s Facebook page. The winner will receive a trip to New York City to meet Warren Buffett, Chairman of Business Wire’s parent company Berkshire Hathaway, and Cathy Baron Tamraz, CEO of Business Wire. The winning student will join Buffett and Tamraz at the Business Wire opening bell luncheon at the New York Stock Exchange on September 30, 2011.
“One lucky student will soon be on the way to share lunch with Mr. Buffett,” said Jessica Lueck, Marketing Associate at Business Wire who came up with the contest idea. “The caliber of these submissions will make him proud.”
The student finalists hail from all corners of North America—from the Midwest and Deep South to Queen’s University in Ontario, Canada. The videos were judged on their originality, creativity, and appropriateness to theme.
Comments on social media outlets are invited through August 31, with the winning video chosen by an executive committee that includes Business Wire CEO Cathy Baron Tamraz and President Gregg Castano and announced on September 7. Finalist videos may be viewed on Facebook and comments are encouraged. Support can also be demonstrated by tweeting comments using the unique hashtags assigned to each finalist below on Twitter.
In alphabetical order, the finalists are:
- Scott Berman, a senior studying Professional Strategic Communications (with a minor in Finance) at The University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. (#BWSCOTT)
- Robert Brown, a junior studying Advertising at The University of Georgia. (#BWROBERT)
- Jessica Funcannon, a senior studying Public Relations (with a minor in Family and Consumer Sciences) at Illinois State University. (#BWJESSICA)
- Jenna James, a senior studying Digital Media at Ball State University. (#BWJENNA)
- Haley Lesavoy, a senior studying Journalism and Mass Communications at The George Washington University. (#BWHALEY)
- Shannon McGreal-Miller, a junior studying Marketing with a specialization in Public Relations at Michigan State University. (#BWSHANNON)
- Stephen Roegge, a sophomore studying Business Administration at Georgia Tech. (#BWSTEPHEN)
- Eric Tawney, a senior studying Finance and Economics at Oakland University (#BWERIC)
- Zixiang Chen, a sophomore studying Business Administration at The George Washington University. (#BWZIXIANG)
- Zan Zhang, a junior studying Commerce at Queens University. (#BWZAN)
About Business Wire
Business Wire, a Berkshire Hathaway company, celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2011 as the global leader in press release distribution and regulatory disclosure. Public relations and investor relations professionals rely on Business Wire for both broad-based and targeted market reach. A recognized disclosure service in the United States, Canada and a dozen European countries, Business Wire handles XBRL tagging, document formatting and regulatory filing into EDGAR, SEDAR and other systems. Business Wire provides online newsroom hosting and integration services as well as search engine optimization, mobile distribution and detailed measurement on every press release. Its patented NX delivery platform provides simultaneous full-text posting of Business Wire content to news systems and websites in virtually any country or language. With 31 bureaus worldwide, Business Wire offers local service and global reach.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=6824428&lang=en