DULUTH, Ga.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--NCR Corporation (NYSE:NCR) announced today that it has been awarded Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) certification for speed and innovation in delivering a number of green design and construction features in its Columbus, Ga., North America manufacturing plant.
NCR’s facility is one of the very first LEED-certified, retrofitted manufacturing plants in the U.S. NCR revamped the 25-year-old dilapidated former battery manufacturing plant during 2009 in just five months and now produces ATMs, retail self check-out machines and DVD rental kiosks for the North American market. Some of the specific sustainable features on the 340,000 square-foot facility include:
- Building Reuse: NCR re-used over 70 percent of the interior building elements such as doors, walls and ceilings. 94 percent of the construction waste was diverted from landfills with over 500 tons of construction waste recycled or re-used.
- Optimize Energy Performance: NCR was able to reduce its power usage by more than 40 percent by re-roofing the building, where 95 percent of the surface has a Solar Reflective Index (SRI) of 84 or above, replacing the existing lighting with more efficient fixtures and replacing 78 percent of equipment with EPA Energy Star-rated technology.
- Water Efficiency: water usage at the plant was reduced by more than 40 percent by using an onsite pond to eliminate the use of potable water for irrigation of the site’s landscaping. Bathroom facilities and showers were also retrofitted and/or replaced.
- Alternative Transportation: priority parking spaces were created and reserved for low-emission and fuel-efficient vehicles including car-pool and van-pools. NCR also created 22 secure bicycle storage spaces to encourage employees to ride their bikes to work instead of using their car.
- Regional Material Usage: NCR was able to purchase more than 40 percent of its building materials including glass, paint, ceiling tiles, carpet and other materials from local manufacturers within a 500 mile region. This supports the local economy and reduces environmental impacts resulting from transportation.
“It is important for NCR to manufacture our products in a facility that is sustainable and environmentally responsible. This is also very important to our customers and the consumers that use their products,” said Peter Dorsman, senior vice president of Global Operations for NCR. “That is why it was critical that we reached this milestone and achieved certification for our facility; and it was no small accomplishment. We knew from the beginning that we needed to have a plan and strategy to succeed from the initial demolition.”
Established by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) and verified by the Green Building Certification Institute (GBCI), LEED is the nation’s preeminent program for the design, construction and operation of high-performance green buildings; and it is the recognized standard for measuring building sustainability.
“NCR’s LEED certification demonstrates tremendous green building leadership,” said Rick Fedrizzi, president, chief executive officer and founding chair, U.S. Green Building Council. “The urgency of USGBC’s mission has challenged the industry and companies like NCR to move faster, to innovate and to reach further than ever before. NCR serves as a prime example of just how much can be accomplished.”
“NCR has accomplished a tremendous amount in very little time in Columbus in order to make this building part of the leading edge of Columbus’s environmentally-conscious movement,” said Mike Gaymon, president and CEO of the Greater Columbus Georgia Chamber of Commerce. “We are proud to have NCR as one of our corporate citizens setting high standards of achievements. We congratulate the company on the LEED Certification”
About NCR Corporation
NCR Corporation (NYSE: NCR) is a global technology company leading how the world connects, interacts and transacts with business. NCR’s assisted- and self-service solutions and comprehensive support services address the needs of retail, financial, travel, healthcare, hospitality, entertainment, gaming and public sector organizations in more than 100 countries. NCR (www.ncr.com) is headquartered in Duluth, Georgia.
NCR is a trademark of NCR Corporation in the United States and other countries.