WINSTON-SALEM, N.C.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Valentine’s Day is a little sweeter for a general surgeon in Sanford, N.C., who celebrates as “America’s Most Loved” health care provider. DrScore.com, the online patient satisfaction survey and rating Web site, has named Roger Ernest, DO, with Carolina Crossroads Surgery PC, as 2011’s Health Care Provider of the Year.
“Dr. Ernest’s average rating of 9.93 out of 10 is truly exceptional,” said patient satisfaction expert Steve Feldman M.D., founder of DrScore. “His patients have given him a wonderful Valentine’s gift: their feedback. They have taken the time to go to DrScore.com and fill out a patient satisfaction survey. Feedback — whether it is positive or negative — is appreciated because it helps doctors improve patient care.”
Dr. Ernest received his doctor of osteopathic medicine degree from the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine in 2002 and completed his internship and residency at the UMDNJ School of Osteopathic Medicine. He is board certified in general surgery, with a special interest in patients with breast cancer.
“We’re really proud of Dr. Ernest and his recognition,” said Doug Doris, CEO of Central Carolina Hospital in Sanford. “His commitment to his patients exemplifies the quality and devotion our entire medical staff provides to their patients.”
To date, approximately 190,000 DrScore online surveys have been completed in which patients answer questions on everything from signage in the parking lot and friendliness of the receptionist to how long they waited and how much time the health care provider spent with them. To be considered for “America’s Most Loved,” health care practitioners had to receive at least 20 ratings on the DrScore site during 2010. This year’s runners up:
- Brian L. Pearlman, M.D., FACP, is an internist with Internal Medical Associates of Atlanta Medical Center in Atlanta, Ga. Dr. Pearlman received his medical degree from the University of Miami School of Medicine and completed residencies at Baylor University Medical Center and the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center.
- James “Trever” Rester, M.D., is an internist and pediatrician with Lake Point Medical Partners in Royse City, Texas. Dr. Trever received his medical degree from the University of Texas Medical School at Houston and completed his residency at the University of Tennessee College of Medicine.
- G. Neil Love, MD, FACOG, is an Ob/Gyn with Hilton Head Regional Obstetrics and Gynecology Partners in Hilton Head Island, S.C. Dr. Love received his medical degree from the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill and completed his residency at the University of Southern California Medical Center.
- Kathleen Moe, M.D., is a dermatologist with Frederick Dermatology Associates in Frederick, Md. Dr. Moe received her medical degree from Georgetown University School of Medicine and completed her residency at Georgetown University/Washington Hospital Center.
- Joann Lutz, ANP, is an adult nurse practitioner with Oregon Medical Group. She completed a Masters program through Oregon Health Sciences University and is ANCC board certified.
“This year marks the first time a nurse practitioner has been in the top five runners up,” Dr. Feldman said. “This may reflect an important trend for medical practices as health care continues to evolve —everyone on the frontlines is vitally important in improving patient satisfaction.”
Increasing patient satisfaction directly links to quality of care issues such as following doctors’ orders and taking the prescribed medications — factors that ultimately lead to better patient health outcomes. “The comments on DrScore.com for all of these highest rated providers are very similar, especially with regard to overall communication and attitude,” Dr. Feldman said. “Patients made comments such as: ‘Informative and with a personal and caring attitude.’ ‘Staff were attentive both to the patient and family.’ ‘Kind, caring and patient physician with warm, friendly manner. ALWAYS takes time to listen to you — I think he is the greatest and best doctor I've ever had.’
“All of our research has found that a good bedside manner and spending quality time with the patient is a critical component in patient satisfaction,” Dr. Feldman continued. “The best advice I can give doctors is to remind yourself — before you see each and every patient — that you want to make that patient feel cared for.”
Founded by Steve Feldman, M.D., DrScore.com is an interactive online survey site where patients can rate their physicians, as well as find a physician based on their service level preference. DrScore’s mission is to improve medical care by giving patients a forum for rating their physicians, and by giving doctors an affordable, objective, non-intrusive means of documenting the quality of care that they provide. For more information, visit www.drscore.com or visit the DrScore blog: Thoughts on Patient Satisfaction.