LAS VEGAS--()--Samsung Mobile Display (SMD) will be demonstrating leading-edge, next generation AMOLED displays at Pepcom’s The Digital Experience! press event during the Consumer Electronics Show, at the Caesars Palace Hotel on Wednesday, January 5th from 7 to 10pm.
1. A 4.5-inch WVGA Flexible AMOLED offering world’s highest flexible display resolution
SMD is presenting a prototype of the most advanced flexible AMOLED display. Only 2mm thick, the 4.5 inch flexible AMOLED runs at a WVGA 800 x 480 resolution and can be rolled down to a one centimeter radius.
At WVGA, this new concept prototype offers a display resolution four times that of the previous most flexible AMOLED prototype in the industry, thanks to the use of a new plastic substrate that can withstand the 450-500 degree temperatures required in the manufacturing process.
Typically, flexible displays use plastic substrates instead of glass substrates because this helps the display become lighter and thinner. Furthermore, the new plastic substrates are not prone to breakage during manufacturing. Previously, plastic materials melted at temperatures over 400 degrees during the manufacturing process, making commercialization difficult.
Development of the 4.5 inch Flexible AMOLED prototype, designed for smart phone and tablet PC displays, is a major step on the road to mass production.
2. A 19-inch qFHD Transparent AMOLED for TVs and monitors: World's first large-screen transparent AMOLED production prototype
SMD is showing the world’s first large transparent AMOLED Display prototype, designed for use in applications from PC monitors to TVs.
Whether the prototype AMOLED display is turned off or on, it maintains up to a 30% transparency. The average amount of transparency elsewhere has been below 10 percent.
SMD’s transparent AMOLED prototype provides the highest resolution on a transparent large screen TV (over 19 inches) or monitor display.
Uses may include searching the Internet while watching TV, or watching TV on windows, including car windows for backseat passengers.
SMD will also be exhibiting a 14-inch qFHD transparent AMOLED for notebook PCs.
About Samsung Mobile Display
Samsung Mobile Display Co., Ltd (SMD) was established in January 2009 as a joint venture between Samsung Electronics and Samsung SDI. Bringing together Samsung’s cutting-edge technological capabilities in LCD and AMOLED, SMD is committed to providing a comprehensive range of display solutions including AMOLED, LCD in one convenient channel. As a total solution provider, SMD is striving to light up the future with next-generation technologies such as flexible, foldable and transparent displays.
AMOLED (Active Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diode) displays can go far beyond LCD and plasma with distinct advantages such as vivid color, widest viewing angles, low power consumption, high contrast and extremely fast response times.
1. Vivid colors: Outstanding color reproducibility that will not change in relation to the gray scale;
2. Widest Viewing Angle: Offering extremely clear viewing regardless of viewing angle;
3. Low Power Consumption: Excellent energy efficiency, with minimal power usage;
4. High Contrast: Bright, vivid and remarkably clear viewing with the highest display contrast and wide color reproducibility;
5. Fast Response: Incredibly fast response speeds. Because there is no change in temperature, moving images appear natural, virtually eliminating eye fatigue.
For more information, visit www.samsungsmd.com.