BOSTON--(CloudBees, the innovation leader for Java cloud computing, today announced $4 million in Series A financing led by Matrix Partners with participation from individual investors, including JBoss founder Marc Fleury and JBoss/HP/Bluestone veteran Bob Bickel. This is the first in a multi-stage investment to provide CloudBees with the resources to build out a cloud-agnostic, cloud native Java Platform as a Service (PaaS) that covers both development services and a production runtime for Java.)--
“The cloud represents a new opportunity for disruption, similar to what I saw with Enterprise Java 10 years ago. Just as JBoss provided a streamlined and useable alternative to BEA and IBM, CloudBees will be providing innovation and ease of use compared to VMware’s bloated cloud stacks.”
The company recently began executing on this roadmap with the acquisition of InfraDNA and the addition of its founder Kohsuke Kawaguchi, creator of the Hudson continuous integration server, to the team. Establishing itself as the de facto source for Hudson-based solutions was a critical step for CloudBees, as continuous integration is increasingly essential to today’s application development lifecycle.
- CloudBees, founded by former JBoss CTO Sacha Labourey, emerged from stealth in August 2010 with DEV@cloud, a fully integrated development infrastructure featuring a Hudson-based continuous integration offering delivered as a service. Through the acquisition of InfraDNA, CloudBees has augmented its Hudson offerings with an on-premise solution, Nectar.
- The funding will enable CloudBees to accelerate development and delivery of RUN@cloud, a production runtime designed to complement DEV@cloud, currently in beta, to create the most comprehensive Java PaaS covering the entire application management lifecycle, from development, through continuous integration and staging, to production and maintenance.
- Matrix General Partner David Skok and Bickel will join the CloudBees Board of Directors. Skok was the original lead investor in JBoss, which was acquired by Red Hat in 2006 for $350 million. Bickel served as JBoss’ Vice President of Strategy, playing a critical role in forming the company’s business model and strategic partnerships, as well as securing early key executive hires.
- David Skok, General Partner of Matrix Partners: “Sacha possesses the rare combination of entrepreneurial ambition, leadership skills, a strong technical background and the strategic thinking to lead CloudBees to establish a foothold in the cloud for driving Java innovation. PaaS is the next logical evolution of cloud computing, and the PaaS layer that CloudBees is building the future of how applications will be built and run. We believe this represents an enormous market, and this team well positioned to execute on it.”
- Marc Fleury, founder of JBoss: “The cloud represents a new opportunity for disruption, similar to what I saw with Enterprise Java 10 years ago. Just as JBoss provided a streamlined and useable alternative to BEA and IBM, CloudBees will be providing innovation and ease of use compared to VMware’s bloated cloud stacks.”
- Sacha Labourey, founder and CEO of CloudBees: “With Amazon and others having paved the way for cloud computing with affordable infrastructure resources, we see PaaS as the next cloud turf up for grabs. While we’ve already begun executing aggressively, this financing will help us further fuel delivery and adoption of our PaaS. I am pleased that Matrix, Marc, Bob and others have the confidence in our technology, strategy and first-rate technical team to provide us with capital to grow.”
Additional Online Resources
- CloudBees vision for cloud-agnostic PaaS
- Overview of DEV@cloud
- Overview of RUN@cloud
- Read the CloudBees blog
- Follow @cloudbees on Twitter
About CloudBees, Inc.
CloudBees (http://cloudbees.com) aims to provide the leading Java Platform as a Service (PaaS) covering both development services and a production runtime for Java. The company debuted with DEV@cloud, which features the first Hudson cloud service, and will continue to be built out into a complete development, build, test, staging and production environment for any cloud infrastructure. This ‘No IT, No Middleware’ approach significantly lowers costs for Java users. Founded by former JBoss CTO Sacha Labourey and an elite technology team, CloudBees is backed by Matrix Partners and individual investors including Marc Fleury and Bob Bickel.
About Matrix Partners
Matrix Partners is an early stage venture capital firm, which fosters long‐term partnerships with entrepreneurs and works closely with them to help build significant, industry‐leading technology companies. The firm has generated stellar returns over three decades and has delivered several of the industry’s top performing funds of all time. Matrix Partners has offices in Massachusetts, Silicon Valley, India and China. Matrix Partners has been fortunate to be a part of the creation of game‐changing companies such as SanDisk (Nasdaq: SNDK), Veritas Software (Symantec), Starent Networks (Nasdaq:STAR), Openwave (Nasdaq:OPWV), Aruba Networks (Nasdaq: ARUN), Netezza (NYSE: NZ) and JBoss (Red Hat).