BALTIMORE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The annual competition to select the nation’s top senior college quarterback has been narrowed from an original field of 22 to five finalists for the 2010 Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award.
Named after the man many call the greatest quarterback ever to play football, the Golden Arm Award is presented annually to the nation’s top senior college quarterback by the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Educational Foundation, Inc. and Transamerica, a leading provider of innovative business and personal financial services (www.transamerica.com).
The remaining candidates for the 2009 Golden Arm Award are –
- Andy Dalton, TCU, who has led the Horned Frogs to an 11-0 record, passing for 23 touchdowns and amassing nearly 2,500 yards while compiling a QB efficiency rating of 163.9;
- Colin Kaepernick, Nevada, who has completed 181 of 274 passes for 19 TDs and a 66.1 completion percentage;
- Christian Ponder, Florida State, who has 17 touchdowns and 1,817 yards for the Seminoles;
- Ricky Stanzi, Iowa, who ranks sixth in Hawkeye history in career passing yards (4,373) and passing TDs (31);
- Scott Tolzien, Wisconsin, who holds school records for career completion percentage at .675 and career QB efficiency rating of 150.0 and ranks sixth all-time at Wisconsin with 28 career passing touchdowns, 4,681 passing yards, and 369 career completions.
The 2010 winner will be presented with the Golden Arm Award on Friday, December 10 at the Tremont Grand Meeting & Banquet Facility in Downtown Baltimore.
Since 1987, the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award has been presented to some of college football’s greatest quarterbacks, many of whom have gone on to illustrious careers in the NFL. Former winners include Colt McCoy (Texas, 2009), Matt Ryan (Boston College, 2007), Brady Quinn (Notre Dame, 2006), Matt Leinart (USC, 2005), Eli Manning (Ole Miss, 2003), Carson Palmer (USC, 2002), Peyton Manning (Tennessee, 1997), and Rodney Peete (USC, 1988).
In addition to Transamerica, sponsors of the event include: MedStar Union Memorial Sports Medicine, Dunbar Armored, Baltimore’s Tremonts Hotels, HMS Insurance Associates, Inc., Wells Fargo Private Bank, Stanley Black & Decker, Century Engineering, Comcast, The Baltimore Sun Media Group, GEICO, R2i.ntegrated, Sports Legends Museum at Camden Yards, and Weiss PR Associates, Inc.
For more information, visit www.goldenarmfoundation.com.