MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Loopt, the mobile connection to people and places around you, today announced it has integrated Facebook Places with the latest version of its app for iPhone and iPod touch, making Loopt’s friend-finding capabilities even stronger. Now, Loopt users can view both Facebook and Loopt check-ins on an interactive map, providing a clear view of friends gathering nearby.
With this update, people can now see all their friends’ location updates in one app. Overall Facebook Places additions to Loopt include:
- Universal map view - Facebook friends are shown on an interactive map, for which Loopt has long been known. Friends using Facebook Places will populate your Loopt map, giving you a clear view of friends nearby.
- Dual check-in - When Loopt users check in and share to Facebook, it will show up as a Facebook Places check-in – a simple, quick update on both services. This action will add activity to the Facebook Places page for that location. For those with accounts on both services, comments on a friend’s Loopt updates will also show up as a comment on the friend’s Facebook Place update.
- Friend history - Facebook friends who have used Facebook Places will appear in Loopt’s Friends list. Through Loopt, you can pull up a friend’s check-in log (for both Loopt and Facebook Places). This comes in especially handy when you are heading to an unfamiliar city, but you have a Facebook friend who knows the area well. You can see where they like to go regularly, plus their input and photos.
“When we first learned that Facebook would enter the location space, we saw a huge opportunity before us,” said Sam Altman, co-founder and CEO of Loopt. “Facebook is introducing its 500 million users to location services. We are glad to have access to the Facebook Places API, and we jumped to incorporate it into Loopt. You’ll see even more integration soon.”
The latest Loopt app involves some additional updates, including:
- Fine-tuned Friend Alerts - Friend alerts, launched recently, have become an extremely popular feature on Loopt. Previously, users would be notified when a friend was within one mile, but we’ve now added a greater customized range – you can adjust Friend Alert settings to receive notification when friends are between one and 10 miles away. This is especially useful for finding out a friend is in town – 10 miles is often worth the journey to meet up with an old friend.
- Upgraded and simplified registration system - An e-mail login option has been a highly requested feature. Now new users can join using either their phone number or email address.
As always, Facebook activity through Loopt will respect the privacy controls set on both Facebook and Loopt. The Loopt App is available for free from the App Store on iPhone and iPod touch or at www.itunes.com/appstore/.
For instructions on how to get up and running with Facebook Places on Loopt, see our blog post.
Loopt is the mobile connection to people and places around you. Loopt produces a suite of mobile applications including Loopt, Loopt Star, Loopt Pulse for iPad, and Loopt Mix, to allow users to discover the world around them. Loopt products use location on mobile phones, iPad and iPod touch devices to help users find and enjoy the friends, places and events around them right now. The Loopt services have more than 4 million registered users and partnerships with every major U.S. mobile phone carrier. Loopt is available on many devices, including iPhone, Android and BlackBerry phones. (See www.loopt.com/phones for all supported handsets.) Loopt applications offer a variety of effective and intuitive privacy controls. Loopt also provides a high-quality, low-cost Location Platform infrastructure for positioning capabilities on location-based apps and services. Find Loopt at www.loopt.com, www.twitter.com/loopt and www.facebook.com/loopt.
Facebook® is a registered trademark of Facebook Inc.