SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Kobo, a global eReading service, today announced plans for its application to be preloaded on the BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet, giving users easy access to the Kobo experience including Kobo’s store of more than 2.2 million books.
Earlier this week, Kobo also announced plans for an industry-first social eReading application that will leverage the new BBM™ (BlackBerry® Messenger) Social Platform.
“We are thrilled to be extending our extensive relationship with RIM into the tablet space,” said Michael Serbinis, CEO of Kobo. “Readers will love the elegant design, crisp display and portable size and weight of the BlackBerry PlayBook, which is perfectly suited for long reading sessions. I am also excited by the possibilities of the BlackBerry Tablet OS, which will allow us to bring today’s bestsellers and classics, as well as other rich content, to BlackBerry PlayBook users.”
The 7-inch BlackBerry PlayBook is an ideal size for eBooks, allowing both comfort and convenience for readers. The new BlackBerry Tablet OS also features a WebKit browser engine, preferred by Kobo and used across its applications to deliver feature-rich and high-performance eReading applications.
“The new BlackBerry PlayBook is a multitasking powerhouse for apps and content services and, together with Kobo’s eBooks app and service, it will provide users with an exceptional eReading experience,” said Jim Tobin, Senior Vice President, Value-Added Services, Research In Motion. “Kobo is an excellent partner for RIM given the global nature of both our businesses and because Kobo provides a great customer experience, including regionalized apps, content and pricing.”
Key features of the Kobo eBook app on the BlackBerry PlayBook are:
- Integrated shopping. The Kobo store offers more than 2.2 million titles and the catalogue includes bestsellers, new releases and over 1 million free books. International stores feature region-specific content and pricing.
- Find books easily. Extensive categories and recommended reading lists help readers find their next great read.
- Choose library view. See your collection of books in a list, or on Kobo’s beautiful virtual bookshelf.
- Customizable reading options. Personalize text size, font and style. Switch between day and night reading mode or customize a specific brightness setting.
- Easy navigation. Tap to turn pages, scroll quickly through a book, or use the Table of Contents to jump between sections.
- Switch views. Kobo will automatically switch from landscape to portrait view as the BlackBerry PlayBook is turned.
- Read anywhere. Kobo also offers free reading applications for BlackBerry® smartphones, computers and other devices, which all sync together across a users account. Kobo members can pick up and read on any device without ever losing their place.
- Open platform. Kobo supports open standards, including EPUB, PDF, allowing customers to buy once and read anywhere, or read free choosing from over 1 million free titles from Kobo or visiting public eBook libraries.
- Social shopping and shared eReading will be introduced upon availability of the BBM Social Platform. Watch a video of what Kobo is planning at www.blog.kobobooks.com/BBM.
About Kobo, Inc.
Kobo is a global eReading service backed by majority shareholder Indigo Books & Music, Borders Group, REDgroup Retail, and Cheung Kong Holdings. Kobo believes consumers should be able to read any book on any device. With a catalog of over two million eBooks, and an open platform, Kobo enables retailers, device manufacturers and mobile operators to bring the joy of eReading to customers everywhere. For more information, visit www.kobobooks.com.
About Research In Motion
Research In Motion (RIM), a global leader in wireless innovation, revolutionized the mobile industry with the introduction of the BlackBerry® solution in 1999. Today, BlackBerry products and services are used by millions of customers around the world to stay connected to the people and content that matter most throughout their day. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, RIM operates offices in North America, Europe, Asia Pacific and Latin America. RIM is listed on the NASDAQ Stock Market (NASDAQ: RIMM) and the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: RIM). For more information, visit www.rim.com or www.blackberry.com.
Forward-looking statements in this news release are made pursuant to the "safe harbor" provisions of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 and applicable Canadian securities laws. When used herein, words such as "expect", "anticipate", "estimate", "may", "will", "should", "intend," "believe", and similar expressions, are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on estimates and assumptions made by RIM in light of its experience and its perception of historical trends, current conditions and expected future developments, as well as other factors that RIM believes are appropriate in the circumstances. Many factors could cause RIM's actual results, performance or achievements to differ materially from those expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements, including those described in the "Risk Factors" section of RIM's Annual Information Form, which is included in its Annual Report on Form 40-F (copies of which filings may be obtained at www.sedar.com or www.sec.gov). These factors should be considered carefully, and readers should not place undue reliance on RIM's forward-looking statements. RIM has no intention and undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law. The BlackBerry, PlayBook and RIM families of related marks, images and symbols are the exclusive properties and trademarks of Research In Motion Limited. RIM assumes no obligations or liability and makes no representation, warranty, endorsement or guarantee in relation to any aspect of any third party products or services.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=6449010&lang=en