Oracle Database Administrator
Job Title: Oracle Database Administrator
Location - Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position in the San Francisco office. Participation in the on-call program is mandatory. PLEASE NOTE: The designated hours of this position are not guaranteed and can be subject to change in the future.
Responsible for Oracle RAC databases in a high availability, 24x7 environment running on UNIX clusters. Primary duty is maximizing production system uptime. While operational duties (log monitoring, co-site monitoring, performance monitoring) consume only about 8 hours/week, they are extremely important—and visible. On-call pager duty as part of a flexible shared rotation is required. Secondary duties (32 hours/week) involve working with developers to produce high-quality custom software for our patented distribution system and corporate website. A wide range of technologies is used, including Oracle AQ, Oracle Partitioning, APEX, and of course PL/SQL. Additional duties include supporting Oracle E-Business Suite, developing protocol and procedures, and upgrades to the Oracle databases.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities include the following (other duties may be assigned) under general direction of the Director, Database Administration and Operations:
- Install, configure, and patch Oracle software—Grid Infrastructure, Database, Agent, and Client
- Install, configure, and patch Oracle E-Business Suite
- Configure hot backup of databases
- Configure Oracle DataGuard for easy failover/failback of databases
- Configure Oracle Networking (TNS)
- Implement security at the DB level and within the EBS application
- Monitor and recommend additional hardware—disk, cluster nodes, tape drives.
- Utilize Oracle Grid Control to monitor and manage databases
- Create automatic alarms with CRON and Grid Control, and respond to these alarms
- Support reporting requirements using SAP Business Objects and Apex
- Review application designs with developers, making recommendations for schema changes
- Monitor system logs and take corrective action for any problems
- Develop scripts and PL/SQL to automate routine administrative tasks
- Evaluate new products and technologies and/or recommend purchases
- Demonstrate reliability through prompt response, good attendance and punctuality
- Work as a team member performing any and all functions necessary for the successful operation of the company as determined by the Director, Database Administration and Operations
- Sitting at a computer for extended periods of time
- Repetitive motions needed for typing and mousing
Qualifications Required for this Position:
- 3+ years Database experience
- General understanding of a UNIX operating system
- 1 to 2 years Oracle E-Business Suite experience
- Ability to write scripts in some administrative language (Perl, Python, shell, etc.)
- Good communication skills
- Self-motivated, eager to learn tangential skills
- Must be able to work effectively with a diverse group of people
- Professional appearance and demeanor
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to:
Subject: Oracle Database Administrator
Via E-mail: email@example.com
Please Note: Acceptance of a job offer is contingent upon a background check and upon submitting proof of education noted on the job application.
Background checks will not be conducted until after a job offer has been made, and all qualified applicants will be considered for employment, regardless of criminal history.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
No phone calls.
Business Wire agrees and represents that it will provide equal employment practices and the contractor and each subcontractor hereunder will ensure that in his or her employment practices persons are employed and employees are treated equally and without regard to or because of race, religion, ancestry , national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition