CHARLOTTETOWN, Prince Edward Island--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today, the Canadian Alliance for Skills and Training in Life Sciences (CASTL) announces the launch of its national biomanufacturing skills and training program – CASTL Elevate. CASTL Elevate is powered by Upskill Canada, and is part of the first wave of partnership programs that are taking an industry-informed approach to supporting workers in Canada’s fast-growing biomanufacturing sector. Support from Upskill Canada will allow CASTL to train up to 400 new biomanufacturing workers with the in-demand technical and essential skills training for careers in this innovative sector.
As part of the 10-week program, CASTL will prepare participants for biomanufacturing technician roles through a series of self-directed and instructor-led learning, along with hands-on experience at one of CASTL’s state-of-the-art biomanufacturing training facilities. The comprehensive training program is designed to present technical skills and knowledge in good manufacturing practices (GMP), good documentation practices (GDP), following standard operating procedures (SOPs), gowning for work in a biomanufacturing environment, cleaning in a biomanufacturing environment, using basic and foundational equipment, and understanding various roles and processes in a biomanufacturing environment. In addition to technical training, participants will benefit from professional development, job search coaching, and networking opportunities with industry experts.
The program is designed to assist younger workers, new Canadians, diverse populations, and others in recognizing transferable skills, acquiring new knowledge and launching new careers in Canada’s biomanufacturing sector.
Supported by funding from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada’s (ISED) Upskilling for Industry Initiative, more than 15,000 Canadian workers will benefit from an innovative approach to skills training. Central to the Upskill Canada initiative is the role of community training providers, who work closely with local and national employers to identify precise suites of skills being sought by industry. Equipping workers with these skills will create new career pathways for Canadians and better position Canadian companies to compete both domestically and internationally.
- CASTL is a national skills and training organization formed to address the talent needs of Canada’s life sciences sector.
- Specializing in biomanufacturing, CASTL delivers on the economic and sectoral demand for individuals who have the technical skills to enter, thrive and meet the needs of the fast-growing Canadian biomanufacturing industry.
- With headquarters in Prince Edward Island, CASTL operates GMP-like biomanufacturing training facilities in Charlottetown, PE and Montreal, QC. In partnership with the BC Institute of Technology, CASTL will open a third facility in Richmond, BC in Summer 2024.
- CASTL is the exclusive Canadian provider of the globally recognized National Institute for Bioprocessing Research and Training (NIBRT) licensed training programs. Based in Ireland, NIBRT develops and delivers state-of-the-art training and education programs for the world’s leading biopharmaceutical manufacturing companies.
- CASTL’s Elevate program will be delivered between December 2023-March 2025. Through this program, CASTL will training up to 400 new workers with the in-demand technical and essential skills training for careers in the biomanufacturing sector.
- The 10-week CASTL Elevate program will prepare participants for biomanufacturing technician roles through a series of self-directed and instructor-led learning along with hands-on experience at one of CASTL’s state-of-the-art biomanufacturing training facilities. English and French programs will be available to participants.
- Individuals interested in applying for the CASTL Elevate program can learn more and register at https://www.castlcanada.ca/en/elevateprogram
- According to BioTalent Canada’s 2021 national labour market information study, Canada’s bioeconomy will require more than 65,000 additional workers by 2029, with some of the highest demand being in biomanufacturing.
“We’re so proud to formally launch Upskill Canada with our inaugural class of workers and training service providers. This is a big first step – but it’s only the beginning. We’re looking forward to working with our supporters in government and industry to upskill many more Canadians, so they can transition into high-demand roles in the modern workforce – and help fast-growing companies achieve their full potential.”
— Rhonda Barnet, CEO of Palette Skills, which was chosen by ISED to run the Upskill Canada initiative
“CASTL is thrilled to present this new training program that will bring industry-informed skills and training to develop a much-needed talent pool for Canada’s fast-growing biomanufacturing sector. Thank you to Upskill Canada and ISED for investing in this initiative and enabling us to support and develop the future workforce of Canada’s biomanufacturing industry.”
— Penny Walsh-McGuire, Executive Director, CASTL, a fund recipient and partner program of Upskill Canada.
The Canadian Alliance for Skills and Training in Life Sciences (CASTL) is a national skills and training organization formed to address the talent needs of the Canadian life sciences sector. Specializing in biopharmaceutical manufacturing, CASTL delivers on the economic and sectoral demand for individuals who have the technical skills to enter, thrive and meet the needs of the fast-growing Canadian biomanufacturing industry. With multiple GMP-like biomanufacturing training facilities, CASTL provides industry informed practical hands-on training, theoretical knowledge and e-learning. CASTL is the exclusive provider of the National Institute for Bioprocessing Research and Training (NIBRT) licensed training programs in Canada. Based in Ireland, NIBRT develops and delivers state-of-the-art training and education programs for the world’s leading biopharmaceutical manufacturing companies and partner academic institutions. CASTL is supported by National Lead Partner adMare BioInnovations and its adMare Academy. The adMare Academy is dedicated to providing the specialized training required to foster the next generation of highly qualified personnel who will drive the growth of Canadian life science companies.
To learn more, visit www.castlcanada.ca
About Upskill Canada
Upskill Canada is a national talent platform that helps fast-growing companies access the talent they need to compete and succeed globally while creating new career pathways for workers to rapidly transition into high-demand roles. Upskill Canada will target all regions of the country and support Canadian-based employers, with a particular focus on small to medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). It will focus on strengthening key growth sectors, including digital technology, cybersecurity, agricultural technology, advanced manufacturing, clean technology and biomanufacturing.
To learn more, visit https://paletteskills.org/upskillcanadaprograms