SASKATOON, Saskatchewan--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Across Canada and around the world, Global Biotech Week will be celebrated from September 24 to 30, 2023. In Saskatoon and Regina, Saskatchewan, a mix of industry networking and outreach events are planned to showcase science in this province.
Ag-West Bio coordinates activities in Saskatchewan, with support from a volunteer committee. “Global Biotech Week is a great example of community collaboration,” says Karen Churchill, Ag-West Bio president and CEO. “With the help of our partners, we are able to create an amazing program to raise awareness of the value of biotechnology, which is integral to our modern lives: from sustainable agriculture and innovative food ingredients; environmentally sustainable cleaners and bioremediation technologies, to life-saving medicines.”
In Saskatoon we are getting the party started early on September 23rd with Beautiful Science – a display of incredible scientific images at Nuit Blanche, a free, night-time arts festival celebrating art and culture. (Indigo Room, Alt Hotel (480 2nd Ave South, Saskatoon) 7pm to midnight). No registration is required, and all are welcome.
Did you know there’s a gene in your beer? Dr. Chris Eskiw is our guest speaker for Café Scientifique, a fun science talk in a casual setting. Chris’s team at the University of Saskatchewan investigates yeast genetic variation and how we can use this to brew better beer. He says, “Yeast make the beers we love - but not all yeast are equal!” Come to the basement at Winston’s Pub (243 21st Street East, Saskatoon) starting at 7:30 pm. Everyone is welcome; no registration is required, and admission is free (cash bar).
Saskatoon events (for details, visit globalbiotechweeksask.ca)
- Sept. 23 - Beautiful Science at Nuit Blanche
- Sept. 25 - Taste of Innovation at Boffins
- Sept. 25, 26, 29 - Canadian Light Source Tours
- Sept. 26 - Understanding the protein research landscape in Canada webinar with Dr. Mike Nickerson (USask)
- Sept. 26 - Café Scientifique: There’s a gene in your beer! with Dr. Chris Eskiw (USask)
- Sept. 27 - The Science of Breadmaking webinar with Sara Lui (Food Centre)
- Sept. 28 - The Science Zone at All in for Literacy
- Sept. 28 - Sneak Peek of the Food Centre Fermentation Facility
- Sept. 28 - Biotech & Beer and Biotech Trivia
In Regina, the Saskatchewan Science Centre will include hands-on biotech activities (like DNA extraction) all week, and on September 28th, scientists from the University of Regina have been invited to talk about their biotech research.
Visit www.sasksciencecentre.com for details.
- Startupville Podcast with Iain Wallace (Proxima R&D)
- Upcycled Art poster making competition for elementary students
- #ScientistSelfiesGBW & #FindFelix on social media
For more information about Global Biotech Week in Saskatchewan, visit www.globalbiotechweeksask.ca